Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

can any one tell me?? Options
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:44:45 PM
Groups: Member

if there r any jam bands this year that i havent heard of???

So flame the s*&^t out of me but this is the weakest line up ive seen. Bring back chugg and wheatly! I onestly thought from last year and previous years line ups that we had a festival here in australia that would soon rival thie biggest festivals in the world! Im sadly mistaken its the 20th aniversary for gods sake!!!

Im not the only person who thinks this, i go to blues fest with a group of 25 people every year and from the minute 12 midnight comes on the last day we are allready talking about how big the nest years fest will be! i dont think that this convosation will take place this year.
Is peter noble taking backwards step because he is the sole promoter and will make more money with less bigger headliners?

I find it a bit funny how 2 of the bands that are playing before ben harper are produced by him hahaha money grab!!

IM going to cop alot of crap from the dinosaurs on this forum and may even get banned again from that nice loneranger (patrick) fool who thinks his opinion is the only one that counts. and if that happens then so be it!!! im only stating the way me and a whole lot of other people feel!

And the economic down turn what dont festival promoters put money away like the rest of us for a rainy day??

Maybe im ungratefull? I just pray that the festival some how rocks every day so that i have to where a whole chicken farm worth of egg on my face with my pants down sucking on my thumb!

sorry if im to harsh.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
repete
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:05:28 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
I onestly thought from last year and previous years line ups that we had a festival here in australia that would soon rival thie biggest festivals in the world!

...onestly (sic) bro, this is a puerile crock of shite and you should feel embarrassed for putting it out there!!! Bluesfest is one of the major festivals on the international circuit - there are only a small handful of more significance. Jam bands ... get a life son, they're so last century (as you so sadly have indicated where you're stuck!!!!!). Cheers......

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:10:40 PM

skot20_58 wrote:

So flame the s*&^t out of me but this is the weakest line up ive seen. Bring back chugg and wheatly! I onestly thought from last year and previous years line ups that we had a festival here in australia that would soon rival thie biggest festivals in the world! Im sadly mistaken its the 20th aniversary for gods sake!!!

Im not the only person who thinks this, i go to blues fest with a group of 25 people every year and from the minute 12 midnight comes on the last day we are allready talking about how big the nest years fest will be! i dont think that this convosation will take place this year.
Is peter noble taking backwards step because he is the sole promoter and will make more money with less bigger headliners?

I find it a bit funny how 2 of the bands that are playing before ben harper are produced by him hahaha money grab!!

IM going to cop alot of crap from the dinosaurs on this forum and may even get banned again from that nice loneranger (patrick) fool who thinks his opinion is the only one that counts. and if that happens then so be it!!! im only stating the way me and a whole lot of other people feel!

And the economic down turn what dont festival promoters put money away like the rest of us for a rainy day??

Maybe im ungratefull? I just pray that the festival some how rocks every day so that i have to where a whole chicken farm worth of egg on my face with my pants down sucking on my thumb!

sorry if im to harsh.

it's not that you're too harsh, it's just that you're sounding pretty ignorant and irrational in your criticisms.

no matter how big or small the act is - everyone from the united states is now costing 40% more than they were this time last year. i doubt it's a matter of making more money, rather losing less.

i don't see how ben harper's choosing of bands he likes (look, i bet i hate them more than you do) is a cash grab...

you and your 25 buddies are welcome to stay home if you like! i myself was tempted to for a while this afternoon, but then i realised how ridiculous an easter without bluesfest would be and how many new favourite acts i'll end up finding.

23 year old dinosaur (and almost ten year veteran!) signing off.

The poster formerly known as Dan
bengable
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:13:59 PM

Well said skot,

For the last 12 months I have messed myself on at least three occasions in excitement of the 20th anniversary. I cannot express how deeply disappointed in the weak lineup. This should have been an event burnt into the records of 1st class Australian music festivals.

I am hoping this last announcement is a ploy to blow our socks off with a re-release in the next couple of weeks, but I dont hold alot of faith in that idea. I am hoping more that this is not financial ploy in favour of noble.

I will join you skot in the world of egg-on-face if you are so very wrong.

HowlinBindog
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:25:39 PM
Groups: Guest

skot20_58 wrote:

sorry if im to harsh.

Blaah blaah bitch whine complain

There's a lot of music out there mate. Open your mind and good grammar will follow

If you dont like it, stay away. A lot of us have learned to approach the festival with open minds. That way you allow yourself to experience acts you've never heard of

Running a festival like this is a very complex business, more so than you could imagine

The world's in a recession pal. Lets hope bluesfest can survive this difficult time and we can all skol the proverbial yardglass next year

Its never a sure thing
HowlinBindog
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:27:26 PM

Yeah, bring back Wheatley

Farnsie would surely rule bluesfest like no one has before

That's some ig'nant daisy right there
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:29:12 PM

Skot 20 you sound a bit insulated.

I don't know where you live on the continent which will have an obvious bias to your comments.

I live in a country town of 7500 people and have to get on a plane to go to see anything so I am more appreciative of what is put on my dinner plate.

I am well known for being controversial and that is not just on this forum, and I get up peoples' noses,but that doesn't worry me.

I tell it how it is,am passionate about music,have wide tastes and have been listening to music for 48 years,

I am confident that there are alot of Aussies who live in areas outside the main population bases who are appreciative of what is presented at Bluesfest.

I am coming over with a guy who works at the Freezing Works and Bluesfest is what keeps him going in a job of dealing with dead animals every day.

It is the highlight of his year and he saves up for it.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:56:44 PM

So Skot 20,you have been banned from this forum before ?

If you have been then you must have done something which was outside the Forum Guidelines.

I am not a moderator so I cannot ban you.

However this forum is a class above the likes of BDO.

To now talk about something worthwhile,I have just come from the Old Crow Medicine Show Gig at the Powerstation.

I spent some time talking to the bar owner,which was very illuminating.

He has also done some promotion which included the Steve Earle gig in Christchurch which was overbooked,and at which a large number of people were turned away,including two of my brothers who had travelled from Dunedin.

He said he lost $40,000 on the gig.

He also said the Powerhouse was not yet cash positive.

So Skot 20,how about you and your 25 mates put up a bit of dosh and have a go at the entertainment industry,which will give you some experience with which to make informed comments.

Then you can criticise Peter Noble.

At the same time,you might like to present me a list of festivals in Aussie which are better than Bluesfest.

I await your reply.

I spent alot of time in the house bar this evening talking to a 27 year old barlady who had two years running a bar in Christchurch as her own business.

She knows now only too well the hard road it is with booking the right bands to make a bar work.

We discussed how bankers would simply not bankroll the industry.

She managed to set up due to an "Investor"

I asked her why she was now living in Auckland.

She said it was to "Escape Her Business Partner"

Get the picture Skot ?

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 10:10:03 PM

No Skot you are not being too harsh.

You are just naive.

You should also know by now not to slag off at the Director.

One thing I know for sure.

You are not self employed and do not understand business risk,particularly in an entrepeneurial sense.

Otherwise you would not make foolish comments about putting money away "For a rainy day."

A farmer puts his seed in the ground,and needs moisture to be able to get a crop[I'm deliberately simplifying the procedure for you].
Failure to get a crop and a farmer can be out of business.

A Festival operator sets up the infrastructure,books the acts and then needs to sell tickets and merchandise to be able to survive.
Failure to get sufficent revenue and the Festival Operator can be out of business.

At home I was taught me to say Thank You and Please.

What were you taught ?

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 1:03:18 AM

And I will say to Taximite,his 25 mates and Bengable.

Come on boys,put your hands in your pockets and make a donation of $1 million bucks to the festival so you can get what you want.

It is called entrepeneurial capital.

You might lose it all but you can have a big party doing it.

I did my good deed for the night.

I was sitting in Burger King just having finished my Burger and Chips when this young skinny guy came in,and was looking around the tables for some food among the empty food containers.

He was spaced out on something,looked like a junkie and was real hungry,so when he asked if I had any food,I asked him if he had any money .He said he didn't so I gave him 20 bucks.

As I walked out he didn't seem to be heading for the counter.

And don't play it cool Scot 20.

Come on now.

Lay it on me Bro.

Print a list of the Dinosaurs on the Forum.

I don't mind being top of the list,even if its a list of one.

After all,I am The .......Lone .......Ranger.

c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:33:01 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

I spent alot of time in the house bar this evening talking to a 27 year old barlady.

Seems we have more in common than our love of music Lone (you sly dog you!!)

Skot & Bengable a little advice (that you wont bother to take) Bengable clean yourself up ...again.
You could sell your tickets & buy a few dvd concerts & watch them,alone or together while holding hands & bemoaning the lack of talent at bf 09.
Wait another year or 2 or 3 till something appeals at bf, but most of us- dinosaurs included- will enjoy bf09......Perhaps even more without you.
whinge!!whinge!!bloody whinge!!!!
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:06:52 AM

Well here's something for every-one
The first JAM Band
True living Dinosaurs
Night owls and insomniacs

Tonight ABC1 at 11.25 PM
The Rolling Stones: Truth and Lies
Looks back at the 40 year plus career of The Rolling Stones.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:53:43 AM

Heavy!

Dear Skot,
phelan1973
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:57:36 PM

I can only afford to go on one day, so I'm going on the Sunday and I get to see two of my all-time favourite artists Lucinda Williams, Drive By Truckers.

I'm also keen to see, Bob Log III & Luka Bloom.

I also bet that I introduced to a few other great acts along the way.

Not bad for a day I reckon.

There's plenty of great artists I reckon. There's also a few of my all time most hated artists too... hahaha... but that's life.
jackfinn
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:04:54 PM

Gees watch what you say, it is good to see you have an opinion skot it made me have a bit of a think and yes you are right about the line up this year it does lack abit of power compaired to last year, i think when people go to this thing every year they get very passionate about the gigs, and it is always great to discover a new act. But it is also a good feeling to look up on stage and see an act that is a part of you that you grew up listen to for me this year it is paul kelly i am excited to see, but last year the acts seemed to have me in more of a hype, i can remember driving down on wednesday to set up my tent for the week and me and my brother had no doubt that we were in for an unbelievable time......The feeling is still there abit but i dont think it will top last years....The thing that i have to remember is that music is always changing and i dont know what i like eg. last year the maltese band tribali i think they were called, was amazing. but the facts are, the line up has some shit in it and it also has alot of shit nobody has ever heard of and when you are going to the best festival in oz you expect the bloody best bands in the world. if it was the queenscliff music festival it would be a good line up but this is bluesfest and 20th one for crying out loud. i will be taking my son who is a third gen bluesfester and i want it to be great.
p.s by the way skot anyone who bullys you because you have bad grammar and an opinion would what to have a good look at themselfs "wanker alarms might go off"..
littlewillie
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:41:49 PM

It's true there's a lack of big name acts , but i'm tipping a lot of the lesser known acts appearing this year will blow people away. And as we've all found out in the past
the big names don't always deliver the goods, so sit back and enjoy the ride.
maccain1
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:17:56 PM

Got to agree re 1st poster -

weakest line up in years - where are the blues legends ?

everyone falling all over the director just plain silly. 20th anniversary and no Buddy Guy ?

Xavier rudd headlining - give me a break - no offence to the man but seriously...... you can see him at your local rsl for $15.

fishbone great addition . But just spoke with organisers and they say that's it ? $130 pe day .

Got to be kidding.

All the talk of recession etc - utter tripe - the artists are playing at reduced rates the world over - didn't stop moneygrabbers like coldplay and pink camping in syd for a month.

Put on a good festival and we'll go hungry to get there.

kissing the directors butt for this is the same as saying thanks to your boss for not getting a raise this yr.

seriously . whos headlining next year - the winner of australian idol. it will be if some of you keep kissing butt.
jackfinn
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:44:45 PM

are maccian you've done it again, that is the truest post of the year. Arse kissing, i think you are on to something....
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:47:54 PM

Seeing how im some what of a winger, so says most of the mindless yes men drones on here. Give me a list of what you drones think i should check out.

Il personaly check out all the bands you name providing they arent playing at the same time.

I will have plenty of time by the looks of the line up theres not much there i want to see.

Dear Skot,
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:51:20 PM

maccain1 wrote:
Got to agree re 1st poster -

weakest line up in years - where are the blues legends ?

everyone falling all over the director just plain silly. 20th anniversary and no Buddy Guy ?

Xavier rudd headlining - give me a break - no offence to the man but seriously...... you can see him at your local rsl for $15.

fishbone great addition . But just spoke with organisers and they say that's it ? $130 pe day .

Got to be kidding.

All the talk of recession etc - utter tripe - the artists are playing at reduced rates the world over - didn't stop moneygrabbers like coldplay and pink camping in syd for a month.

Put on a good festival and we'll go hungry to get there.

kissing the directors butt for this is the same as saying thanks to your boss for not getting a raise this yr.

seriously . whos headlining next year - the winner of australian idol. it will be if some of you keep kissing butt.

zappa plays zappa should headline over xavier. and play there proper 3 hour set. They are a headline act!

Dear Skot,