Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

chairs on the stairs. Options
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:55:41 PM
Groups: Member

while were all in a loving mood,id like to bring up-again our favorite subject-the chairs!!!
firstly,it annoys the shit out of me when punters put a chair in the stands and then go to another tent for a few hours-not nice and very greedy.
last year we had the chairs only on the top 2 levels of the stands and then not at all!

has bluesfest given a thought to reserved seating for the top 2 levels. last years stand in crossroads could have seated (in reserved seating spots )just on the top 2 rows approx. 320 seats.
if bluesfest were to charge extra for this seating (like they do at just about every concertthese days )it might stop the squandering of spaces.
i for one would pay extra to know i had a reserved seat.
is this feasible or am i just being anal?

any bluesfest admin response on seating policy for 2012.

remember be polite.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
spanner1
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 8:06:32 PM

I agree waffles I think you are being a bit anal but I also agree that you should not be allowed to put chairs on the grandstand. they are seats for those who do not have seats already.Chairs need to be banned from grandstand and if you want to reserve a grandstand seat you should follow the time honored bluesfest tradition of getting there early to wait for the performance you wish to see.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:31:45 AM

im usually there before the first act hits the stage.

spanner1
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:40:00 AM

me too - I'll have to catch you up for a drink
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 8:15:53 AM

It wasn't only the grandstands, chairs where left deserted for whole gigs, I think I mentioned elswhere that there were vacant chairs behind me for all of BB King gig.
I think the pay extra is a good thing. Why not pay extra to bring chairs in, if you have a chair set up & then stand up in front of chair you are taking up the space of 3 people.
I don't htink you will get a response from Bluesfest as they have ignored this issue for years.
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 8:18:39 AM

spanner1 wrote:
I agree waffles I think you are being a bit anal but I also agree that you should not be allowed to put chairs on the grandstand. they are seats for those who do not have seats already.Chairs need to be banned from grandstand and if you want to reserve a grandstand seat you should follow the time honored bluesfest tradition of getting there early to wait for the performance you wish to see.

Almost right, but I'm sure what you meant to say was "Chairs should be banned from Bluesfest (unless for medical reasons supported by suitable evidence) and if you want to see an act get there early". Let's not nitpick- there is very littlee justification for anyone either taking a chair or thinking they have a right to any position in any tent.

I'll qualify that on second thoughts- if you don't have medical grounds you should be allowed to take a chair provided you PAY for the priviledge- chairs should only be allowed with a "wrist" band! (And then confined to an area behind the mix.)

namaste
RR
woff555
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:21:28 PM

Those of us who aren't as young as we once were, appreciate the opportunity to get off our feet. 12 hours standing for 5 days in a row is beyond me quite frankly. Should I be banned from turning up?

That said, I do fully support that parking your chair and scarpering to another venue for an hour or three is plain bad form.

Woff
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:44:01 PM

With chairs on the grandstand,I am not concerned so long as they do not take up any more room than a person does.
For example,after the chairs had been evicted from Crossroads,a bloke came along with steelcap boots on,sat where the departed Waffles & Co would normally be,spread his legs out straight,and in doing so,took up three seating spaces.
Once it was dark,the chairs were ignored,and I found it a bit hypocritical that a bloke sitting in a chair in Waffles' spot[Waffles was then down on the floor behind the mixing desk]told a girl off for smoking in the tent,and to take her ciggie outside...yet ignoring the no chairs sign fixed to the back of the stage.
What does annoy me is chairs too far up the front.
For instance people sitting in the front row waiting for the next gig,in a chair,facing the audience,preventing anyone from getting in front of them.That happened at Lil Band O' Gold where I spotted a well known Brisbane musican in that spot.
If you want to be at the front for gigs,do the hard yards and stand up.
The bloke who ignored the chairs being evicted from Crossroads in front of the sound desk,sat on his stool between gigs,and when the music started,stood up in front of me and was a foot taller..this was in front of the most forward supports.I told him off.You can't tell how tall a person is when they are sitting down..And he was 15 years younger than me.
People who leave vacant chairs to go away to other gigs should have to take their chairs with them.
Should only stools and not chairs be allowed ?
They take up less room,are lighter to carry,and achieve the basic aim which is to take the weight off the legs.
I was lent a stool to bring over this year,but left it in my pack,as the weather was dry which meant sitting on the grass,against a fence or pole,or on the crossroads stage,combined with standing,mixed it up enough.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:17:01 PM

I'm with you on the stools, we brought two last year from anaconda ($5.00 each) and even though they don't have back support, you tend to sit up straighter in them, which stops your legs from getting camp chair cramp. They are light enough to carry around, don't need bags, don't take up much room, work perfect on the stairs and if you are short like my wife is, you can even stand on them as they are half the height of camp chairs,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:32:53 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

]told a girl off for smoking in the tent,and to take her ciggie outside...yet ignoring the no chairs sign fixed to the back of the stage. Those people on the stage ignore all the rules, half of them SMOKE
What does annoy me is chairs too far up the front. I explained before the logic of restricting standing to behind the mixing desk, so that seated patrons can see in comfort.
For instance people sitting in the front row waiting for the next gig,in a chair,facing the audience,preventing anyone from getting in front of them.That happened at Lil Band O' Gold where I spotted a well known Brisbane musican in that spot. Sorry Patrick BUT THEY WERE THERE FIRST, you may like to run harrier style between sets but those chair people are dedicated to particular acts
If you want to be at the front for gigs,do the hard yards and stand up. Your sounding far too far, far right wing here, SHAME
The bloke who ignored the chairs being evicted from Crossroads in front of the sound desk,sat on his stool between gigs,and when the music started,stood up in front of me and was a foot taller..this was in front of the most forward supports.I told him off. FOR BEING TALL ??You can't tell how tall a person is when they are sitting down. .See I Was right we should remain seated !And he was 15 years younger than me. That still makes him pretty OLD
People who leave vacant chairs to go away to other gigs should have to take their chairs with them. Agreed or have them confiscated.
Should only stools and not chairs be allowed ?
They take up less room,are lighter to carry,and achieve the basic aim which is to take the weight off the legs. My bar stools are taller than any chair I take
I was lent a stool to bring over this year,but left it in my pack,as the weather was dry which meant sitting on the grass,against a fence or pole,or on the crossroads stage,combined with standing,mixed it up enough.Redundant sentence

If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.
Lenny Bruce

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 5:58:58 PM

bambambam also reminds me of a very important point.
No chairs
No bags to carry them in
Means no bottles of spirits smuggled in chair bags.
Less work for security
No empty glass spirits bottles sitting dangerously on the ground.
No need to take up valuable toilet space mixing up spirits & softdrink.
Bluesfest bar makes more money as punters have to buy their drinks there.
Fewer drunks on Crossroad stage cause they cannot guzzle down such large amounts of spirits at the bar prices.
Better for patrons as less weight to haul around.
Stools are more advantageous in every way.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:27:52 PM

UM gee fellas it was just a suggestion. i was only trying to make bluesfest some extra dollars while getting some of the rabble organised.

yes some of us arent as young as we used to be,but while the artists are older than me ill keep bluesfesting.

i think one of the best solutions is more big screens-solves a lot of problems.

but thanks greybeard,reg,bambambam,the ranger ,colinsid and spanner1 for your constructive input.thats what forums are for.

ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:56:42 PM

Haha, this discussion topic always gets feral in a hurry Waffles. You should know that by now!

As someone who's back cannot physically handle the 5 days straight (and I am there, start to finish every day). However, I
- Never leave a chair to "placehold", unless quickly up for a beer. Even then, I will only leave the chair if it is a near empty tent between sets, and/or with friends
- I will typically try to set up wherever other chairs are already established. This can prove a little tricky when swathes of people decide to pack up right on the eve of the next set commencing, leaving me in no man's land
- I accept that sitting down means sacrificing a view. I'm yet to tell anyone to move out of my sight line
- I figure that since bringing a chair extends the length of time I am at the festival, it is worth more to the promoter as I'll purchase far more beer (not to mention more of those Langos fried bread things), than I would if I rocked up a few hours later

Which is not to say that I don't get the frustration. But frustration on both sides seems to be getting a little too militant and aggressive at times. Surely we're all reasonable enough people to behave reasonably??? And so ends my wishful thinking for the day.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:06:19 PM

I haven't seen a chair posting for a while. Considering the full-on blast of anti-chair postings after the last Bluesfest, I would hassard a guess that they will have taken steps to solve the problem for the coming Bluefest. Life's so wonderful if you're an optimist.
mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:20:27 PM

Don't forget the chairs outside the tents along the side & how annoyed the chair people get if you are trying to weave through them to get inside the tent (which may not be anywhere near full). I appreciate that they have set their chairs up thinking they are out of the way, but.....please, let non chair people through.
richo
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:35:05 PM

1. Build grandstands that can't have chairs put on them. That way there's more room for people and no placeholding with chairs.

2. Ban chairs. Small folding stools are OK. Have strict size restrictions for them, and make a killing of $30 Bluesfest branded stools. Small folding stools take up the same amount of space as a standing person and is the perfect answer for anyone pro-chair that starts their argument with "I was once young too...".

3. Failing a chair ban, allow them only in the back 1/3rd for major stages. In addition have clear marked chair-free zones running the entire length of tents (and beyond) that make it possible for people to enter and exit without harassment.

Maybe my memory is rose-tinted, but I don't remember ever having an issue with chairs at Red Devil. It only started becoming a problem at Belongil, and then worse at Tyagarah.

Glastonbury is the only festival I've ever had a chair at, and it was a given due to the distances hiked each day, lack of grass and lack of provided seating. Never once had an issue with one of the 100,000-odd chairs that people brought there because they had clearly defined areas and also didn't schedule major headliners in tents with limited capacity.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:08:08 AM

AAA) Chairs were an issue at Red Devil, youth has allows been intolerant.

BBB) People have a chance to see empty chairs, imagine the spills and insurance claims of tripping over unseen stools, whether someone is on them or not

CCC) I'll allow Mr Bluesfest to decide if EVERYONE'S knees can get up from being just a couple of inches of the ground !!! I'll have my doctors certificate ready

***************************************************************************************

“When fortune calls, offer her a chair”

Yiddish Proverb

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:52:29 AM

I think the grandstands are unfortunately designed for chairs rather than people sitting on them that is why the steps are so deep & not very high, presumably that is what graybeard is referring to with his knees inches from the ground.

Still all quiet from Bluesfestadmin, maybe some insults or abuse will get a response though I'll leave that to somone else.
Jaylee1
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:14:50 AM

As someone who's back cannot physically handle the 5 days straight (and I am there, start to finish every day). However, I
- Never leave a chair to "placehold", unless quickly up for a beer. Even then, I will only leave the chair if it is a near empty tent between sets, and/or with friends
- I will typically try to set up wherever other chairs are already established. This can prove a little tricky when swathes of people decide to pack up right on the eve of the next set commencing, leaving me in no man's land
- I accept that sitting down means sacrificing a view. I'm yet to tell anyone to move out of my sight line
- I figure that since bringing a chair extends the length of time I am at the festival, it is worth more to the promoter as I'll purchase far more beer (not to mention more of those Langos fried bread things), than I would if I rocked up a few hours later

I heartily agree. I am happy to leave my chair and wander off to see someone else - if my chair is empty - SIT IN IT! I'm not there, I don't care. I always offer it to someone sitting on the ground (who is always most grateful). I NEVER have my chair in front of the mixing desk or in a thoroughfare (that's a no-brainer!). My chair is a simple fold up piece - takes 2 seconds to unpack and repack.

I think if more people used common sense and common courtesy, we would not be having this very long running (and long-winded) debate

JT
waffles
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:11:13 AM

yes the stairs of the stands are definately wide. usually i can fit a chair with someone(usually a young waffle)siting on the same stair in front of my chair.without the chairs you would actually fit less people.