Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

how cool is it... Options
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 3:29:49 PM
Groups: Member

this year we have an indigenous stage and a cabaret stage.

a couple of years ago we had a coca cola stage.

not pointing fingers or anything, but i'm glad to see little things like this that mean the true spirit of roots music is being kept alive in our little pocket of the world, when it could so easily have been sold off to a major degree.

The poster formerly known as Dan
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 3:43:35 PM

Hi Dan,

Yes it is real cool that we have a cabaret stage.

I've just spent the afternoon in Real Groovy which is way down on stock due to being in receivership.

Bluesfest 2008 was a big budget exercise with three directors on board.

I though the turnout was low considering the quality of what was presented,and the bottom line will have been well below expectation.

So we are back to one boss and a lower budget festival,with alot of safe options.

I haven't got long as I have a long walk to catch Old Crow Medicine Show at 8pm.

However I would like to congratulate Peter Noble for his grand efforts in putting a great lineup together for what is going to be an excellent Bluesfest 2009.

Anyone who complains needs to start listening to some of the posters who have wide musical tastes.

I know it is tough for younger people,as they have alot more decades to filter through than what I had when I started listening to music,but my advice to them is to be adventurous.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
phelan1973
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 4:31:25 PM
Groups: Guest

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I haven't got long as I have a long walk to catch Old Crow Medicine Show at 8pm.

Where at?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 11:16:51 PM

By theloneranger at 2009-03-06

At The PowerStation in Auckland.

Great Venue and Great band.The audience was as varied as at Stray Cats.

Had to move to a larger venue after selling 750 tickets which isn't much for a population base of 1 million plus people,but there wasn't exactly a lot of Polynesian or Asian people in attendance,which would skew the data base.

By theloneranger at 2009-03-06

Also an excellent support band from Christchurch called The Eastern,featuring the above two plus two barefooted lady singers,a mandolin, a fiddle and a double bass.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8