Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

rocksteady please Options
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:11:49 AM
Groups: Member

I'd like to hear some music with a 'rocksteady' style of beat, can anyone suggest anything?
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:21:21 AM

Come on!
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:10:40 AM

Less than 10 minutes between posts Bill. A little impatient?

But I can't think of any acts that fit your request.......
rocksteady77
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:20:47 PM

The rocksteady era of Jamaican music in the mid-to-late 1960s is considered a golden age because rocksteady's sweet, soulful vocals, romantic but often socially conscious lyrics and prominent basslines gave birth to reggae, which went on to capture the world.

artists like Stranger Cole,Delroy Wilson the Tamlins, The Wailers, Junior Byles [link for Junior sweet sweet Junior here] http://youtu.be/B48NsEfiOdA
AND SOME KING TIDE http://youtu.be/nL7QtF1soio .Heres some more rocksteady artistsU-Roy, Ken Boothe, Leroy Sibbles from the Heptones, Derric MorganJudy Mowatt, Dawn Penn, Rita Marley and Marcia Griffiths - etc ,etc read more .They were the architects of Jamaican music.

In 1962, Jamaica gained its independence from Great Britain. There was celebration, optimism, economic growth and opportunity. Recording studios popped up all over Kingston and a generation of great singers and players emerged playing the tuneful, mellow music that became known as rocksteady - tunes like The Tide Is High, Rivers of Babylon and You Don't Love Me Anymore, No No No, which were so successfully celebrated by UB40 on their Labour of Love albums. By 1968, Jamaica's economic bubble had burst and social unrest took to the streets. As poverty, violence and political upheaval spread, rocksteady became politicised, upped its tempo and began to evolve into the music they call reggae.

As a popular musical style, rocksteady was short-lived; its heyday only lasted about two years, from 1966 until spring 1968.[4] Around this time, young people from the Jamaican countryside were flooding into the urban ghettos of Kingston — in neighborhoods such as Riverton City, Greenwich Town and Trenchtown. Though much of the country was optimistic in the immediate post-independence climate, these poverty-stricken youths did not share this sentiment. Many of them became delinquents who exuded a certain coolness and style. These unruly youths became known as rude boys.
Alton Ellis is sometimes said to be the father of rocksteady for his hit "Girl I've Got a Date", but other candidates for the first rocksteady single include "Take It Easy" by Hopeton Lewis, "Tougher Than Tough" by Derrick Morgan and "Hold Them" by Roy Shirley. In a Jamaican radio interview, pianist Gladstone Anderson said that guitarist and bandleader Lynn Taitt was the man who slowed down the ska beat in 1964 during a "Take It Easy" recording session.[5] The record producer Duke Reid released Alton Ellis' "Girl I've Got a Date" on his Treasure Isle label, as well as recordings by The Techniques, The Silvertones, The Jamaicans and The Paragons. Reid's work with these groups helped establish the vocal sound of rocksteady. Notable solo artists include Delroy Wilson, Ken Boothe and Phyllis Dillon (known as the "Queen of Rocksteady"). Other musicians who were crucial in creating rocksteady included keyboard player Jackie Mittoo, drummer Winston Grennan, bassist Jackie Jackson and saxophonist Tommy McCook.
Despite its short lifespan, rocksteady's influence is great. Many reggae artists began in rocksteady (and/or ska) - most commonly reggae singers grew out of rocksteady groups e.g.: Junior Byles came from 'The Versatiles', John Holt was in 'The Paragons', both Pat Kelly and Slim Smith sang with 'The Techniques' (it's Pat Kelly singing lead on 'You Don't Care') and Ronnie Davis was in 'The Tennors' while Winston Jarrett was in 'The Righteous Flames'. 'The Wailing Wailers' were similarly a vocal harmony trio (modeled on 'The Impressions') who came from ska, through rocksteady (though Bob Marley was working in a car assembly plant in America for most of 1967 - which explains why there are few Wailers' rocksteady songs) and became a reggae band with just the one main vocalist. The short-lived nature of rocksteady, its lauded sound and the somewhat haphazard nature of the Jamaican music industry make original recordings increasingly harder to find than those from the ska and reggae eras.
Derrick Harriott patriotically noted, "Ask any Jamaican musician and they'll tell you the rocksteady days were the best days of Jamaican music".[6]

Who would have thought a new genre for you .
youngbill
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:36:59 AM

Impatient - never!!!

Thanks RS for the info. I'd vote for the excellent King Tide.
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:13:26 PM

youngbill wrote:
Impatient - never!!!

Thanks RS for the info. I'd vote for the excellent King Tide.

Check out Rocksteady: The Roots Of Reggae ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320257/ )- one of the best music documentaries I've seen and with some great music as well- many of the voocalists mentioned above with a great band including Ernest Ranglin and Sly Dunbar backing them. It gets a lot of hearings at the Regs!

namaste
RR
kai
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:16:16 PM

youngbill wrote:
I'd like to hear some music with a 'rocksteady' style of beat, can anyone suggest anything?

Yes King Tide are very good. They'd blow some of the NZ bands outta the water thats for sure.

Lynn Taitt will rock you steady youngbill.

Check some of my podcasts (link below) for more rocksteady tunes.

Some other bands worth checking out include:
The Sidewalk Doctors - Music is Medicine
King Fatty - Rocksteady Dynamite
Prince Fatty - Supersize
Jimmy Cliff - Sacred Fire
The Yoots - Singalong With The Yoots [NZ]

Musical Sauce: Blues/Soul/Swing & Ska/Reggae/Rocksteady/Dub
kai
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:43:56 AM

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 9:19:05 AM

Madness

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 9:35:43 AM

ill second MADNESS,i have wanted to see them for years.
have seen some great clips from other festivals.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:40:25 PM

Rocksteady: The Roots Of Reggae

As you may have missed the ABC special

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.