Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

WOMAdelaide Options
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:13:51 PM

Groups: Member

First announcement is a good one- Groundation, Lo Jo, Tinariwen and a few others who wouldn't be out of place at BF!

http://www.womadelaide.com.au/artists

namaste
RR
colinsid
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:27:19 PM

Looks like a good line up.

Tinariwen played last Bluesfest at belongil, if I am not mistaken. I found them okay for a couple of songs but couldn't watch a full set.

Johhny Clegg used to be really good live according to reports from friends who saw him in England many moons ago.

Sharon Shannon I have also heard good repors about. Eddie Reader didn't really do it for me when she played Bluesfest.

2c
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:57:45 PM

colinsid wrote:
Sharon Shannon I have also heard good reports about.

I'd add my voice to that - Sharon Shannon and her band burned the house down when I caught them back in June.
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:13:13 PM

Yep Sharon Shannon means Damien Dempsey could be coming too as they play together on the regular. Tiawarin were zany last time out in BF. As for BKB / please no! - are they the most overrated aust band in Aust ?

I note salmonella dub are headlining a feast over Xmas- as everyone needs to know my two cents worth - here it is; they are garbage!

Kingtide with Stranger Cole should be locked in like that maniac that posted 100 msgs said! they really have it all, time to unleash them at bluesfest!
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:58:07 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Kingtide with Stranger Cole should be locked in like that maniac that posted 100 msgs said! they really have it all, time to unleash them at bluesfest!

I have waited for the chance to say "Ah Maccain, you've done it again!", and I feel that my patience was rewarded on this occasion.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:10:20 PM

colinsid wrote:
Tinariwen played last Bluesfest at belongil, if I am not mistaken. I found them okay for a couple of songs but couldn't watch a full set.

in my opinion they MUST be watched in full for it to really click. so entrancing.

mr noble mentioned staff benda billilli would be on the 2012 bluesfest bill at his q&a at the rhythms tent this year... very interesting.

The poster formerly known as Dan
oldbilly1
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:58:24 PM

LoJo are tres cool, but blues/roots? Weirder things have happened and they would delight quite a few

Agree with Dan on Tinariwen, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride...
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:08:41 PM

oldbilly1 wrote:
LoJo are tres cool, but blues/roots? Weirder things have happened and they would delight quite a few

I don't know Lo Jo that well, but their contribution to Festival In The Desert is amazing and laced with the same "vibe" as the Touareg they're performing with.

Tinariwen were great last time but possibly hard for the "uninitiated" who didn't settle into the music as easily as pholk who were familiar with it. For me they were one of my picks that year and I was rather surprised to hear the amount of criticism they received (at least on this board)

namaste
RR
oldbilly1
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:50:12 PM

RaucousReg wrote:
oldbilly1 wrote:

I don't know Lo Jo that well, but their contribution to Festival In The Desert is amazing and laced with the same "vibe" as the Touareg they're performing with.

Tinariwen were great last time but possibly hard for the "uninitiated" who didn't settle into the music as easily as pholk who were familiar with it. For me they were one of my picks that year and I was rather surprised to hear the amount of criticism they received (at least on this board)

namaste
RR

LoJo are captivating live. An authentic world sound borne.from the collision of French bohemia, gypsy spirit and the cultural stew of north Africa. Perfect for womad, but maybe not Byron. But, hey, bring it on.

I noticed the mixed response to Tinariwen too. I find their sound both familiar and exotic, which is what I like about it. Probably easy to see why its looseness would throw some people as a result though.