Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Chisel report Options
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 7:30:24 AM
Groups: Member

Some of you may recall in an earlier post the story of me not going into to see Chisel as an underager at Bryants Manlyvale, choosing instead to listen to a lame cover band in the front bar because I'd never heard of Cold Chisel and thought $10 was a bit rich.

30 years later I got a free ticket to see them last night for their first gig of the Nitro Tour. Gotta say they were better than expected. Mossy is still pure gold, Jimmy's voice held up and the new drummer had a jazzy feel. Didn't have me glasses on - can anyone tell me is that Don Walker on keyboards?? (couldn't hear him either, but I blame that on the sound engineers).

Anyhoo, apparently they have a new album out Friday.

And in the crowd, the packs of 50yo men all dressed the same were hilarious. So were the (as hubby describes the 40yo pub regular women) boilers drinking hard. Be sure to buy your Barnesy headband punters to top off the look!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
Dan...
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 10:40:34 AM

yep don is with them. the new record is just a best of. looking forward to seeing them for the first time.

The poster formerly known as Dan
ScottM
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 5:49:29 PM

Yeah, I would have been keen had I been in the neighbourhood. For all their association with "bogans" and so forth, they really do have some of the finest Australian rock and roll songs of, well, forever. I'm a huge fan of Don Walker's songwriting - deserves to be held up there with Paul Kelly as really capturing the "Australian condition", particularly through the 70's and 80's.