Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Folk In Broke Options
RaucousReg
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 3:13:02 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632

Another festival cancellled...

namaste
RR
freexone
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 4:59:15 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/16/2011
Posts: 225
Points: -31,844
Location: Everywhere and nowhere...
Huh?

Who?   What???
greybeard
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:25:46 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 1,619
Points: 2,194
Location: Sydney Northern Beaches
freexone wrote:
Huh?

Who?   What???


FOLK IN BROKE FESTIVAL 2011:
I'm sorry to have to inform you that our festival director has cancelled this year's event.
It is unlikely that this festival - in this format - will resurface and for those of you who have been with us from the beginning, I'm sure you will agree that it was a brave but immensely satisfying project.
I'd like to extend my personal thanks to all of you who have - for the past 5 years - been so supportive.... to those passionate musicians who demonstrated their committment each year by putting the music before the money...... and to all of our fantastic helpers who beavered away to make the festival the awesome event it has been. I'm privileged to have worked with you over this time and grateful for your loyalty and friendship.
Maureen. More information can be found on the FOLK IN BROKE WEBSITE


*******************************************************************
Programming today is a race between Software Engineers
striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
RaucousReg
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 1:12:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632

Another small(ish) festival has cancelled: http://www.rewindfestival.com.au/splash

Rewind scaled back their offering last week with a proposal to move to the Hordern Pavilion (and I thought it was no more..) and cancelled today.

Times are obviously very hard.

namaste
RR
colinsid
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 3:01:30 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/22/2008
Posts: 390
Points: 799
Location: Here
The Rewind festival deserved to fail.
Here is why I say thankfully as it contained some of the most craptastic bands of that error, I mean era.

Kool and the Gang
Sister Sledge
Bananarama
ABC
Midge Ure
Ross Wilson
Mental as Anything
Human League
Tony Hadley
Nik Kershaw
GO WEST
John Paul Young
Pseudo Echo

What no Flock of Seagulls or Boy George?
It deserved to fail with this line up.

The truth is there are too many festivals, on the whole the festival thing is a bit of a recent fad. Yes there were festivals in years gone by but the amount of them in recent years mean that some will inevetably fail & not be able to compete.
Hopefully Bluesfest has a few more in it.
RaucousReg
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 3:50:28 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632
colinsid wrote:
The Rewind festival deserved to fail.
Here is why I say thankfully as it contained some of the most craptastic bands of that error, I mean era.

...

The truth is there are too many festivals, on the whole the festival thing is a bit of a recent fad. Yes there were festivals in years gone by but the amount of them in recent years mean that some will inevetably fail & not be able to compete.
Hopefully Bluesfest has a few more in it.


Not a great line-up, but the point Iwas trying to make is that times are hard, not just for something like this, but also for festivals like Folk-In-Broke and Narooma which have delivered quality/quirky line-ups in past years. even with the bunch Rewind had I'd have thought there'd be a fair few nostaligic pholk out there happy enough to part with a few $$$

namaste
RR
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 4:51:57 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 1,001
Points: -735
The big day out hasn't sold out this time either. Though it's definately the line up. Kanye west?


Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
colinsid
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:15:34 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/22/2008
Posts: 390
Points: 799
Location: Here
Annual Stonefest in Uni of Canberra has been downsized to a dance event due to low ticket sales as well.

Narooma failure was more because it relocated to an inferior site in a different town. Last year, whilst a good line up, there was nobody there, while at Narooma it was getting bigger each year. This years line up whilst not bad had one less venue. I know the organisers blamed it on poor ticket sales/economy but that's crap, just read the comments in these forums to know it was the move, lack of nearby accomadation etc.

I also stand by my comments on the Rewind festival, crappy line up meant you were only ever going to attract the small amount of people who thought that bands were good & most of them would have out grown it anyway. My god the line up is like pick the worst 80's pop bands you could think of.


skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:00:46 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 1,001
Points: -735
colinsid wrote:
Annual Stonefest in Uni of Canberra has been downsized to a dance event due to low ticket sales as well.

Narooma failure was more because it relocated to an inferior site in a different town. Last year, whilst a good line up, there was nobody there, while at Narooma it was getting bigger each year. This years line up whilst not bad had one less venue. I know the organisers blamed it on poor ticket sales/economy but that's crap, just read the comments in these forums to know it was the move, lack of nearby accomadation etc.

I also stand by my comments on the Rewind festival, crappy line up meant you were only ever going to attract the small amount of people who thought that bands were good & most of them would have out grown it anyway. My god the line up is like pick the worst 80's pop bands you could think of.




Amen


Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:02:54 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 862
Points: 2,424
Location: Down Home
I get where Reg is coming from - it doesn't seem like long ago where having the word "festival" on the ticket was almost a license to print money. But, like the wider economy, it is dangerous to assume that boom times will always remain boom times. I think some promoters have been caught out. Hopefully to the long term benefit of attendees, as promoters will scrap to provide a better experience. Bluesfest has obviously built a brand upon acts of a certain calibre/prestige, which I think serves a large section of the festival community nicely. I don't know how much of it is "recession" related, vs just being a matter of the festival market maturing and some of the hanger-on type attendees moving on to whatever else catches their attention for a little while.

In the case of festivals like Rewind - "niche" festivals can be fun (not that I would have had any interest in that one), but as a promoter, best not to over estimate the size of that "niche".....
drwildare
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:22:00 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/21/2008
Posts: 291
Points: 672
Location: Ormiston, QLD
skot20_58 wrote:
The big day out hasn't sold out this time either. Though it's definately the line up. Kanye west?


KAnye West who is he pray tell. Hust another performer that in 5 years time people will be sayin why did we like him...

The Dr is in the House
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:28:12 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/22/2008
Posts: 390
Points: 799
Location: Here
Beginning to worry about Bluesfest only 88% of early birds sold & wasn't there supposed to be an artist announcement over a month ago?
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:43:53 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/11/2008
Posts: 575
Points: 1,100
drwildare wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
The big day out hasn't sold out this time either. Though it's definately the line up. Kanye west?


KAnye West who is he pray tell. Hust another performer that in 5 years time people will be sayin why did we like him...

The Dr is in the House


oh for crying out loud. i don't care if you like him or not, but a complete unwillingness to acknowledge an artist of his stature is just insulting.

The poster formerly known as Dan
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:58:14 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 862
Points: 2,424
Location: Down Home
Dan... wrote:
drwildare wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
The big day out hasn't sold out this time either. Though it's definately the line up. Kanye west?


KAnye West who is he pray tell. Hust another performer that in 5 years time people will be sayin why did we like him...

The Dr is in the House


oh for crying out loud. i don't care if you like him or not, but a complete unwillingness to acknowledge an artist of his stature is just insulting.


Agreed. And I do like him.
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:22:04 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 1,001
Points: -735
ScottM wrote:
Dan... wrote:
drwildare wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
The big day out hasn't sold out this time either. Though it's definately the line up. Kanye west?


KAnye West who is he pray tell. Hust another performer that in 5 years time people will be sayin why did we like him...

The Dr is in the House


oh for crying out loud. i don't care if you like him or not, but a complete unwillingness to acknowledge an artist of his stature is just insulting.


Agreed. And I do like him.




Enough said right there.......................................... The mans a fool


Crap line ups = crap ticket sales poor economy or not. Theres still plenty of bands selling out there shows outside of festivals.


Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
RaucousReg
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 3:58:11 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632

FRom Department of Fair Trading- of course it was subsequently abandoned altogether

Rewind festival
14 October 2011

Fair Trading Minister Anthony Roberts is urging dissatisfied ticketholders to contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20 following a decision by the Australian organisers of the Rewind 80s Festival to relocate the event from Wollongong to Sydney.

Mr Roberts said Fair Trading has received 36 complaints since the announcement from disappointed fans that have been left disillusioned and out-of-pocket.

“Consumers purchased tickets to a two-day outdoor festival at the Blue Scope Fields in Kembla Grange featuring around 25 acts now find themselves attending a downsized indoor event at the Sydney Hordern Pavilion,” he said.

“It’s nearly 100 kilometres away from where they thought it would be when they purchased the tickets.

“Many consumers will now have to arrange accommodation and organise transport.

“Simply put, it is no longer the same event and consumers should be given the option of a full refund.”

Mr Roberts said he was alarmed by reports that the organisers are refusing to refund ticket sales even though the event has undergone such fundamental scheduling changes.

“I find the organiser’s position to be very disappointing and I have instructed Fair Trading to pull out all stops to assist ticket holders who want a refund,” he said.

“Fair Trading officers are working hard to resolve this issue for consumers as soon as possible.”

Mr Roberts said Fair Trading has commenced an investigation using its powers under the Australian Consumer Law and it has been working closely with the festival’s authorised ticket seller Moshtix.

“It is estimated that thousands of tickets have been sold to this event and I urge all dissatisfied consumers to assist Fair Trading with its investigation by lodging a complaint as soon as possible,” he said.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.209 seconds.