Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Woodford 2011/12....... tempting? Options
sushiwee
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:03:28 PM
Groups: Member

got the years tax back and now is the time i usually get the BF tix, but i might just hang on this year and just get a 3 day pass or one dayer close to the time.
main reason is that Woodford looks great value this year when you look at the bands they have anounced and i also have the Harvest one dayer coming up so combined it may be hard for BF to beat (price and line up)

Harvest - portishead, flaming lips, mercury rev, death in vagas, bright eyes, Phosphorescent, the national and the family stone for $150

Woodford - A French Butler Called Smith, Drawn from bees, Arrested Development, Blue King Brown, Dead Letter Chorus, Jeff Lang, Jo Quail, Roger that, Passenger, The Beards, Tim Rogers, Marshal & the fro, the Flumes, Jess Ribeiro, Promoe, Chales Walker and the dynamites, Tallulah rendall, Wild Marmalade, Leah Flanagan, Orkestra del Sol, Rob Longstaff, Spiral dance, that 1 guy, Dya Singh, The Basics, Kim Churchill, The Barons Of Tang, The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band Show, Kingfisha, The Cat Empire, gin club, The Whitetop Mountaineers, The Wilson Pickers, The Winnie Coopers, The good ship, You am I and Vin Garbutt plus lots lots more..........at the mo its $420 for the full six day/nights camping

its about 6 years since i last went to woodford so i think it may win on the early bird decision. And also the fact that for me is that band wise harvest is such good value it makes it hard to splash out almost 700 bucks for early bird bluesfest....i know i may regret this once the BF line up released.

anyone else doing Woodford this year? along with or instead of bf

colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:21:28 PM

I would have thought that it would be cheaper to buy a five dayer now than a three dayer closer to festival, & that way you could still only go for 3 but pick your days.
andreworvis
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 2:41:34 PM

I could be wrong (has happened once or twice in my life time).... but that Woodford lineup looks like their 2010/11 once. I haven't seen anything announced for 2011/12 yet.
Lots of names on there were definately there last year...
sushiwee
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:05:21 PM

andreworvis wrote:
I could be wrong (has happened once or twice in my life time).... but that Woodford lineup looks like their 2010/11 once. I haven't seen anything announced for 2011/12 yet.
Lots of names on there were definately there last year...

hey your right. had a close look and i was looking at 2010/11 program

that changes everything as i would still be buying the woodford early bird blind
glenhay
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:13:51 PM

The Buesfest team must be absolutely thrilled with your sense of loyalty. I've never been to Woodford. I take it that it would be very different from Bluefest. They seem to get into a lot of other stuff there as well. I'm shouting my 3 kids to the Caloundra music (whatever they call it) in October. Looking foreward to that. My wife will be at a yoga camp that weekend and she'll be joining up with us on the Sunday afternoon. A husband and 3 kids all hyped up from 2-3 days of music, don't think her tranquill peacefull state of mind is going to last long once she's back with us.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 8:43:12 PM

I would be very interested in experiencing Woodford in terms of the variety of goodies on offer,encompassing more than just music,and the ambience.
However,the moist conditions to be experienced while tenting is a big minus,especially as it was reported last New Year..
From a stallholder I talked to at Bluesfest,it appears that to enter and exit on a daily basis as in Bluesfest,is difficult and very time consuming.
In terms of music alone,there is only Bluesfest which consistently offers the ultimate lineup in terms of both renowned and upcoming international artists.
Where else down-under in 2012 are we likely to see a lineup such as Buddy Guy,Maceo Parker,Trombone Shorty and Robert Plant on the same bill ?

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
ScottM
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:53:35 AM

I've never been, but it always seemed to me like the Woodford "brand" transcended the individual acts o the line up. That is, I think a lot of attendees are there because they want to "live in Woodford for a week". Which probably creates a different dynamic than pretty much any other major festival in Aus.

Even Bluesfest remains very line-up-centric. Hell, it fuels the majority of discussion on this board.

I think it depends what you are after. If you just want "bands in a field", then Harvest represents excellent value (if you like the bands - and if I was in Aus, I'd be going). For "festival experience", I think Bluesfest performs very strongly, largely off the back of the playing schedule building the energy through the day. Woodford, I suspect, also falls into the "festival experience" category. Mind you, a week in South East Queensland at that time of year would test my sanity. I do try to maintain a semi-regular shower routin after all....
sushiwee
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:47:50 AM

Going for the Bluesfest early bird, as you know its going to be great regardless of who is playing. I got over exited when looking on the Woodford site checking out the line up not realising it was last years. Plus i was looking at the early bird price so all seemed like a bargin when you knew the acts you were getting.
The times i have been to Woodford in the past i have been lucky to know a handfull of artists bar the local stuff. yeah its a great festival experience, infact one everyone should try at least once.
Last time i went to woodford most of the time was spent shaping my own didj, sunrise druming circles, morris dancing, watching a tibet monk build n smash a mandala, drinking lots of draught guiness in the beer tent, and lots of chilling in the chai tent.

The woodford experience with the bluesfest lineup, now ya talking
glenboss
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:32:42 PM

When all is said and done, they're both great but for different reasons. Bluefest is pure music, Woodford is music with other stuff thrown in like all the things you've just mentioned. I honestly think that if I had no work commitments, an unlimited budget, a wife who was happy to plod around the country side with me, I could turn into a festival junkie. But Nah - that's not gonna happen.