Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Syl Johnson Options
Dan...
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:12:11 PM
Groups: Member

He's coming back (with The Bamboos backing) and actually playing Brisbane this time!

Spiegeltent Sun 4 - Mon 5 September
The Hi-Fi (Melbourne) September 10

The poster formerly known as Dan
Dan...
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 5:30:54 PM

dunno how there's no interest in this.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 7:52:41 PM

Since Mr Bindog left the forum,you are the only Brisvegas resident left .

If I was independently wealthy,I would contact my flight crew to have my private jet ready to make the trip.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
oldbilly1
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 8:11:35 PM

waitin for the singapore leg of the tour...with bamboos, it should go off. review please?
Sharleen7
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:41:45 AM

We'll be there on the Sunday night, Dan! Couldn't miss the Johnson this time around!!!

EXCESS in Moderation
repete
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:08:31 PM

Damn...how did I miss this?? The last time I saw Syl with the Bamboos ranks as one of the best club shows I have seen anywhere.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Dan...
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:12:06 PM

he's also doing the basement (syd) saturday sep 3.

repete
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 4:16:39 PM

Any reports from the Brisbane show?? We heard he collapsed after the show and was rushed to hospital. Hope he's OK, although his Melbourne show has been shifted to this weekend so I assume he's fine.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
drwildare
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 9:41:12 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Since Mr Bindog left the forum,you are the only Brisvegas resident left .

If I was independently wealthy,I would contact my flight crew to have my private jet ready to make the trip.

I am a Brisvegas resident ok Redlands BAy but thats still the brisvegas area mind you you guys ignore most of what i have to say

The Dr is in the House
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:09:25 AM

The internet tells me that Ormiston is 22.53 km from Brisbane.
So it is like Manurewa is to Auckland.
I had incorrectly assumed it was a small town in Inland Queensland.
People don't ignore you on the board.
You get plenty of attention.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Sharleen7
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:20:45 PM

repete wrote:
Any reports from the Brisbane show?? We heard he collapsed after the show and was rushed to hospital. Hope he's OK, although his Melbourne show has been shifted to this weekend so I assume he's fine.

I hadn't heard that, Pete! Found this article which shows just how strong his sense of showmanship is:

http://www.northsiderecords.com.au/?tag=syl-johnson

The set we saw on Sunday night was great - it started out with the audience sitting about 4 metres back, which lasted through the 1st few bars, when myself and the good doctor got up to shake our tail feathers... by the 2nd song, everyone was standing up close! Not so many dancers - the Brisbanites don't seem to boogie as much as some. But at least the crowd was nice and close for the rest of the show. Syl was in fine form - singing his heart out and playing some tasty riffs on his guitar, interspersed with segments of "talking trash" which were most amusing and bemusing to much of the audience! We had a great time dancing through the night - it was over all too soon!

I can't say I'm the best one to give reviews - I'm more of a "in the moment" kind of gal so here's a review from Dan (hope you don't mind me posting it here, Dan!) that was published in his street press:

Quote:
BRISBANE FESTIVAL SPIEGELTENT: 04.09.11
Tonight doesn’t start well. Melbourne funk maestros The Bamboos file onto the stage, followed by a 75-year-old r’n’b legend Syl Johnson, resplendent in a red pinstripe suit. But there’s a gulf between the band and the audience that puts 20 metres of empty space between the parties and there’s nary an ounce of energy running through the audience’s collective bones. A taut Straight Love, No Chaser draws a scarce few to the front, but it’s obvious the outfit is struggling and it becomes worrying they won’t be able to change it. Strangely, it’s the slow jam of Any Way The Wind Blows that coaxes a few more to contribute some atmosphere to the tent. While Johnson looks more than competent up until now, it’s during this song that we get to see just how sharp he is as a guitarist and vocalist; proficient, note-perfect solos and a voice equally tender and fierce. By the time Anyone But You and I’m Looking For My Baby are aired, the band have hit a comfortable groove before the tempo picks up, as does the funk, with Lovin’ On The Run, which is followed perfectly by the bouncy groove of Different Strokes, one of Johnson’s most iconic tunes. He launches into a spiel about artists not paying him royalties, mentioning Kanye West – who he doesn’t like – and Jay-Z – who he does – as the latest example, and rambles about how much he likes his lawyer. If people weren’t already perplexed, the five-minute-long directionless diatribe Johnson spits before the interval sheds light on his bizarre mind; he’s occasionally incoherent, yelping at the crowd “I’m not a comedian! I’m on top!”
These odd ramblings haven’t sullied the mood, which is more jovial than the show’s beginning and as Take Me To The River shows Johnson’s incredible harmonica skills, the audience smile and dance; this is finally beginning to feel like a soul show. Johnson seems more comfortable too, and launches into another diatribe to introduce Is It Because I’m Black; touching on the demographic present with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and assuring the civil rights-inspired tune “is not militant” – he’s “too smart for that”. This is the turning point; what was a good show quickly becomes amazing, the power of the song not lost as the band hits emotional peaks and troughs before flipping it on its head and giving it the reggae treatment it received from Ken Boothe in 1973. Sock It To Me – the song that stopped Johnson driving trucks back in “19-efuceekayin’-67” – sees Johnson at his most playful; the band hit him one time, two times, 21 times and 101 times, the crowd eats it up, grinning ear to ear as the man of the moment finishes up yelling, “My name is Syl, and I will, get funky.”

Did you make it to his show at the Hi-Fi down in Melbourne? I'd be curious to know how that one played out, given his surgery just a short time before - what a trooper that man is!

EXCESS in Moderation