Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

File Sharing and blues Options
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 1:34:27 PM

Groups: Member

I recently tried out File "Sharing" on my Dell Laptop. I downloaded an old Robert Palmer song. The quality was pretty poor and it took forever to "upload". I think it's better to support the artist and buy the Cd or even better go see them live. The only problem for me is most of the musicians I listen to nowadays are dead. Therefore it's pointless to support them. Where does the money go if I buy a doors cd go. Anyway it's good to bring new acts to the festival looking forward to the first line up. File sharing isnt as good as they say it is.
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 3:41:14 PM

And here i am thinking you where dead....

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
mpember
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 8:15:31 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
I recently tried out File "Sharing" on my Dell Laptop. I downloaded an old Robert Palmer song.

"file sharing" (and I am going to assume that you are talking about bittorrent) is just like using a web browser. If you source the content from a dodgy source, don't be surprised when the resulting content is also dodgy. A dodgy file from a dodgy source doesn't mean that all "file sharing" results in a poor representation of the original work. Do you blame microsoft when you visit a website that doesn't meet your expectations?

Maccain09 wrote:
File sharing isnt as good as they say it is.

On behalf of everyone who uses bittorrent on a daily basis to distribute data, I can only apologise for your bad experience. Please ring our support line (1300 PIRATE) if you have any further problems.
mgwfall
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 8:53:59 PM

Have a look at some of the sites mentioned on this thread.

http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=964

Some of the "file sharing" sites are tracking sites for what are called ROIOs (ie recordings of independent origin). They track non copyright (as in not officially released) recordings of live music from taper friendly bands. (& yes, there are some grey areas & different sites have different rules re what's allowable on their site). As one site says, better bands allow free sharing among fans than people profiting on ebay.

Yes the sound varies from sbd patch to poor audience recording. Often they sound "like you're at a concert". And some of the older recordings do show their age. Often there will be a sound sample for downloaders to judge before getting the whole show.

Taping concerts has been going on for a long time, so there is old music (I have some shows from the 50s, 60s), as well as new music. My favourite band (dmb) last weekend played 3 shows, listening to the 3rd of them now. Got to hear Dave singing "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" & the band covering "Good Times, Bad Times". One day these songs may make it to official release, but with ROIOs, I don't have to wait. (And if they do release it officially, I will buy it!).

If you are after some Blues music, (not just some free album tracks) check out some of those sites.

What you downloaded may also have been mp3d to a low quality bitrate, which could make the listening less than ideal.

Maccain09
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 4:49:44 PM

Thanks! Free live gigs is the way to go - I was always the first to buy what was called bootlegs - concerts taped on cassette back in the day. I had what was called the November rain mixtape a long time before loose you illousion came out - it contained a heavy version of heartbreak hotel and one or 2 songs that didn't make the final cut (as they say) booking in broadband to speed up this downloading Lark this week - free (legal) tunes here I come!
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 5:35:22 PM

Ive not actually got around to looking into this site but have received a couple of recommendations from people who know

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=/metadata/creator

Its the biggest library ever assembled
The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was founded to build an Internet library- I think means US Government approved!
Their music includes
Dirty Dozen Brass Band (97 shows)
Dumpstaphunk (122 shows)
Animal Liberation Orchestra (231 shows)
Jack Johnson (137 shows)
John Butler Trio (204 shows)
Blues Traveler (926 shows)
String Cheese Incident (1,193 shows) Could someone advise which is the best of these 1193 shows
Little Feat (385 shows)
Michael Franti and Spearhead (425 shows)
Derek Trucks Band (870 shows)
Warren Zevon (87 shows)
The Grateful Dead (8,165 shows) WTF
Asylum Street Spankers (15 shows)
Going to listen to a W Zevon gig after the footie

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Maccain09
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 4:43:34 PM

Graybeard,

Your the man!
RaucousReg
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 4:22:38 PM

This link is to a Dub Is A Weapon set, but navigate back and there's a lot more to find!

http://www.archive.org/details/diaw2007-05-05.at853.flac16f

namaste
RR