Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

B.B. King at Glastonbury Options
richo
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:33:33 AM
Groups: Member

Apart from being an amazing festival with too many highlights to even try and put down in words, it's worth mentioning that B.B. King was great.

The show I saw in Adelaide opening for Dylan was nothing special. A few days later at Bluesfest was utter shambles... from not scheduling him on the main stage (as he and the overflowing crowd deserved), to his banter that included half-told jokes and only introducing half the band to his dicey guitar playing.

On Friday at Glastonbury he was great. He worked the sizeable crowd at the legendary Pyramid Stage with his classic charm, played Lucille with gusto (including a blistering Thrill Is Gone that was worlds ahead of what we saw at Bluesfest) and well and truly led his band through a great set.
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:12:29 AM

Promising - I'm off to see him in about 3 hours. I'll let everyone know what I think.
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:12:28 PM

Right, well, the facts of the matter include the following:

He didn't play a whole lot
When he did play, it could vary from sharp/brilliant to lost and mediocre
His voice was still huge, though not necessarily right in key
He did struggle to keep his mind from wandering

BUT

This didn't really matter, because it was still gret FUN.

And the real kicker? He mentioned having some special guests to sit in. Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi (off to their show tonight) were both in great form. Just classy and good humoured. In Derek's case in particular, you can just tell the guy is totally addicted to guitar. He just loves to play. Then things kicked up another notch. Derek and Susan stayed put, but also joining Mr King was Slash, Ronnie Wood and Mick (Simply Red) Hucknall. Quite the all star jam. It seemed basically unrehearsed, but the class of the players shone through and it was a ball.

So even though there wasn't a lot of BB, the abundance of top notch guests (on stage for a good 45 minutes) was pretty great.