Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Buying CDs Options
glenhay
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:33:30 PM
Groups: Member

A question to administration. I recieved an email from you with an offer to buy CDs. I purchased 17 tonight and will probably buy more over the next week or so. My question is - Is "The Music Shop" a part of the Bluefest organisation or just a third party contracted by Bluefest to sell CDs for them? Perhaps this questions shows you how many CDs I purchase on line.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:43:54 PM

Please
don't tell me you brought the 1 cd version of Washington's I Believe You Liar

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
mgwfall
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 5:15:26 PM

And they still don't have any Yodelice cds in stock. In the tent after their second gig, a staffer indicated, (as Yodelice hadn't bought any to sell at the festival), they would be available through The Music Shop online within a few weeks.

Will they become available, or should I give up waiting & try Amazon?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 6:08:43 PM

As an example,the Jeff Beck tribute to Les Paul DVD is the same price as you pay here at Real Groovy or The Warehouse.

So similar bulk buying power.

But the Aussie $ is stronger than the NZ $....Which makes it dearer in Aussie than NZ....

The chance to buy discounted lines is of prime interest....but against that there is the thrill of thumbing through a music shop and finding that odd gem...

No gst on exports...but there is freight...though with Amazon's freight free offer at present...

The idea that was suggested to me to buy from the artists' websites is a good one...and you might be able to arrange an autograph..

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 6:56:21 PM

i think youll find any australian bands cds no cheaper on amazon u.s.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 7:03:01 PM

The Jeff beck DVD is only $12.99 US on Amazon.

With the strength of the Aussie dollar at present.......

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
Dan...
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 8:00:03 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
The idea that was suggested to me to buy from the artists' websites is a good one...and you might be able to arrange an autograph..

this will usually (in the case of independent artists anyway) mean the artist gets more money in their pocket. not always though.

The poster formerly known as Dan
comanche
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 8:52:48 PM
Groups: Guest

mgwfall wrote:
And they still don't have any Yodelice cds in stock. In the tent after their second gig, a staffer indicated, (as Yodelice hadn't bought any to sell at the festival), they would be available through The Music Shop online within a few weeks.

Will they become available, or should I give up waiting & try Amazon?

iTunes has some Yodelice stuff.
glenhay
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:27:16 PM

Some of you might be able to tell me because I didn't really look at Bluefest. Does it make any difference pricewise buying CDs at Bluesfest as opposed to buying them from The Music Shop. Because if there is much of a differnce I will probably spend up next time while I'm there. Actually I tell a lie. I did have a quick look but I'm absolutely hopeless remembering how much things are. The one thing I did buy was a "Wagons" limited edition record. I bought it because they put me in happy mode for the start of the day. Nothing like a concert you laugh at. I haven't really enjoyed listening to it so much since I got home, but at least it reminds me how much I enjoyed their shows at Bluefest. I think they're one of those bands that are great live but not so great recorded.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:49:08 PM

The Bluesfest CD tent prices would in general terms be about normal retail.

For instance,I have in front of me,2 eMDee Cds which I bought at the Bluesfest tent for $32 each.

The same easter I bought a Lil Ed & the Blues Imperials Cd from All Music & Vision in Lismore for $29.95.

3 Eugene Hideaway Bridges CDs from the tent were $30 each.

The 2 Tijuana Cartel and 1 Mojo Webb CDS were $25 each from the tent.

Alot of the one off stuff they bring in,does not have a price on the cover..eg Tribali,Cousin Harley, so I can't remember...But around $30 I would say....and the bonus is that if you can get the artists to sign it as I did with these bands,it makes it really worth while.

comanche
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:05:20 PM
Groups: Guest

To me, the music tent is one of great attractions of Bluesfest. I love browsing music, and with all the different music artists playing at the event, it makes it so much more interesting to browse and understand their work.

Having said that, the prices on some of the stuff put me off a bit. I'm sure they would have better profits if they just reduced their prices a bit. With online purchasing and the awesome Byron Bay music shop in town....there are options...

Still, I spent a lot on music CDs at Bluesfest and in Byron....as usual....

This year I bought about $200 in music CDs and DVDs, $50 on music books, $2700 on a tube amplifier, and enough on accomodations and meals. Now I'm broke....but happy playing my guitar, with great memories of Yodelice and Beadle et al...
glenhay
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 5:23:06 PM

Thanks for that. Next year I'll be prepared, I suppose if you can get them signed it's icing on the cake as well.
glenhay
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:15:24 PM

All my CDs arrived. Only disappointment bwas that I thought the Bluefest 2011 CD was going to be what was recorded at the festival. Must admit I wouldn't have purchased it had I known. Fortunately all the other CDs are great. Bluesfest spends 5 days in the 2 big tents filming and recording every show. Are these recordings ever available to the public? I would love to be able to relive my favourite concerts.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 12:36:50 AM

glenhay wrote:
All my CDs arrived. Only disappointment bwas that I thought the Bluefest 2011 CD was going to be what was recorded at the festival.

I don't think they've ever released a live CD of the fest? Not to say there haven't been plenty of requests. I would speculate that artist/label release of rights could be a minefield.

I thought the Bonnaroo approach a few years back was a nice touch, ticket buyers could opt to also pre-purchase a live DVD. They ended up releasing it on their website too, but a souvenir document of the fest would be a nice touch. Mind you, Bonnaroo has about 80,000 attendees, so the economies of scale are a little stronger.

Probably fair to say that only hardcore supporters would dig an unmixed CD or DVD, so the mastering adds another cost of production. We shall see in future I guess.....