Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Great Southern Blues Festival 2011 Options
acb
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:47:24 PM
Groups: Member

Line up so far is a little underwhelming, although I'm always up for Kenny Neal, Jeff Lang, Backsliders, Kasey Chambers. Blue King Brown I can do without, personally. Of interest is a listing on Pollstar of Blues Caravan - girls with guitars. I'm hoping for some more excitement with the next announcement. Also understand GSBF will only have 2 stages this year, which is disappointing, especially for local, young or fringe acts who were hoping for a gig.

Andrew
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:28:49 PM

From a marketing viewpoint,they needed to have more than one offshore act in the first announcement.

You should give it your best shot from the start.

A reduction to two stages is a sign of retrenchment,and very much reduces the ability to offer a wide range of artists.

Not a good sign.

Airfares to Sydney for me are alot dearer than to Brisbane.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:30:57 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Airfares to Sydney for me are alot dearer than to Brisbane.

That's because no-one wants to visit Brisbane........
Always28
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 11:21:24 AM

After last year's disappointing event I decided never to go again and nothing I have seen so far is likely to change my mind.

I feel a bit sorry for Neil Mumme, the move out of Narooma has not worked out, the site at Bateman's Bay has no feel about it, the arrangement of the tents because of the size limitation made it almost impossible to hear acts due to the sound bleed which drove many of the performers crazy as well as us punters.

If the turnout is as poor as last year I can't see acts chosing to perform in front of tiny audiences no matter what they get paid to do so.

Bit of a shame really.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:54:30 PM

I think I will wait until July 1st and pay $50 more for a ticket.

If there are two tents and they have the rugby league final on,that means only one tent some of the time.

So need to see the full line up before parting out $750 for airfares.

Judging by the reaction after 2010,2011 might be the last year it is on.

Perhaps they need to move it to Canberra with its larger population base.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:22:06 PM
Groups: Guest

perhaps they need to go back to the future - vavoomm..... narooma!

I'm waiting to see a fuller lineup before committing and I'm usually mad for it.
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:55:19 PM

How can they claim it is bigger & better when there is one less tent? This should fix the sound problem I guess.
They need to be more announcement before i buy a ticket. It supposed to be bigger & better according to the Chubbster.
Also the camping is now ban on alcohol, I am sure this wasn't the case at Narooma, I always had some anyhow.
I agree the move from Narooma has failed, but I have been going since 1999 (I think) & it used to be small back then & I used to wonder if it would survive year to year, especially when measued against Bluesfest crowds. For those who haven't been going for this long it was originally at the smaller park behind the Narooma visitors centre back then & there was no on site camping.
As for Loneranger's suggestion about holding it in Canberra I don't think that would work either as it has less atmosphere than Batemans Bay. They did have a festival in Canberra in 2000 (again I think this was the year) & it was lifeless with no vibe, they were letting people in for free by the last day. Also look at how many Bluesfest artists play Canberra sfa. When I have been to other gigs in Canberra there doesn't seem to be the same level of crowd excitement/involvement whatever you would call it than other towns/cities.
What they need is a bigger venue in Batemans Bay or maybe even move it to Nowra , bigger town again or just admit defeat & go back to Narroma.
repete
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:40:30 PM

I'm just hoping Kenny Neal tours while he's here.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:13:52 PM

I once had a friend who worked in Canberra.

He initially trained as an accountant,and then found working as an auditor soul destroying.

So he retrained as an economist.

Worked for the EEC in Brussels then Canberra.

Found living in Canberra a bit soul destroying and wanted to move back to somewhere as souless as Invercargill.

He died in Canberra in his early 40's.

Someone once told me not to bother going there as it was just a Civil Service town.

So how does the National Folk Festival get on ?

Wikipedia tells me Canberra is Australia's 8th largest city.

How about Newcastle as an alternative ?

greybeard
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:02:23 AM

And Newcastle has the great advantage of being between Sydney and Narooma

For new comers read the third posting http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=637&p=4

L Ranger what's happened to the photos you posted throughout the noted thread

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 5:11:20 PM

Hi Greybeard,

Yes Newcastle is very handily placed and I note that its population is 83 % that of Canberra....and probably has more per head musos.

As for the pictures,I have not yet figured that out....I wonder if it is due to a change of email address.

Also,as with Bluesfest Forum,Imageshack was hacked into a while ago,so that may have disrupted things.

Anyway,saves me time on posting.

finleym
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:08:01 PM

Poor Canberra. Nobody likes you. Unless you have discovered the Wig and Pen, then all is forgiven.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
arbee0
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:21:21 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Hi Greybeard,

As for the pictures,I have not yet figured that out....I wonder if it is due to a change of email address.

Also,as with Bluesfest Forum,Imageshack was hacked into a while ago,so that may have disrupted things.

Anyway,saves me time on posting.

That would explain the missing Mongolian frog in the iceberg - I'm missing him :(
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:21:02 PM

arbee0 wrote:
That would explain the missing Mongolian frog in the iceberg - I'm missing him :(

C'mon be honest you licked that Mongolian toad till it dissolved, now didn't you?

You know what they say.
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 12:02:06 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I resolved that I would go to Batemans Bay this year if there was one artist on the bill who had great appeal.

And there is one.....Kenny Neal.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I think I will wait until July 1st and pay $50 more for a ticket.

If there are two tents and they have the rugby league final on,that means only one tent some of the time.

So need to see the full line up before parting out $750 for airfares.

Judging by the reaction after 2010,2011 might be the last year it is on.

Perhaps they need to move it to Canberra with its larger population base.

Thats a quick turn around in short time.
But understandable all things considered.

I'm up for some more Jeff lang plus they still have lots of artists yet to be seen on the lineup.
5 in our group going this year & we shall be renting a 3 bedroom place just around the corner of the country club $900 for a week - sounds good i just hope the music at the fest sounds a bit better than last year.

Only 2 tents shall make choices limited & lets hope no footy in one of them again this year as we pay for the music & the bowling club is very close to the event for those that want to watch it.
Last year they had the AFL & rugby league as the AFL had a replay.
Not much chance of that happening again any time soon, but you never know.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 9:16:56 AM

From 3 tents to 2 tents got me thinking.

Also means not much in the way of Rockabilly.

The billy band they had last year did not interest me.

Aussie tourist numbers over here are way down because non union fans don't want to encounter lots of drunks wandering around.

I agree with them.

In the same manner,keep rugby league out of music festivals.

Mr Bongo why are you not sticking up for Canberra ?

c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:57:02 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
From 3 tents to 2 tents got me thinking.

Also means not much in the way of Rockabilly.

The billy band they had last year did not interest me.

Aussie tourist numbers over here are way down because non union fans don't want to encounter lots of drunks wandering around.

I agree with them.

In the same manner,keep rugby league out of music festivals.

Mr Bongo why are you not sticking up for Canberra ?

I don't live in Canberra but just over the ACT border. Canberra has a reputation of only haveing public servants but of course many other people work in different areas.
The reason that it's a civil servant town is because thats where all the nations polititics takes place so no matter what job you have some people assume you work for the government.
We have a love hate relationship between the 2 places but at least Canberra has more entertainment.

My mates that went to batemans bay with me last year went to the Canberra folk fest & loved it to the point that i was asked why go to bluesfest when you have something more or less at your doorstep on at the same time? but then he was very impressed with batemans bay last year as well(the first time he attended)he's less than impressed with only 2 tents this year as am i plus they will be broadcasting the football on a big screen - not sure if the big screen will be in one of the tents or a seperate area.

Canberra seem to wait till the last minute to buy tickets to shows & for some reason they seem far more reserved sometimes
when it comes to a concert for some reason.
I like a getaway every now & then & i liked batemans bay but i would like it much more if they improved on last year but so far it seems not to be the case.
sbetts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 9:56:17 AM

After last year's disappointing event I decided never to go again and nothing I have seen so far is likely to change my mind.

I feel a bit sorry for Neil Mumme, the move out of Narooma has not worked out, the site at Bateman's Bay has no feel about it, the arrangement of the tents because of the size limitation made it almost impossible to hear acts due to the sound bleed which drove many of the performers crazy as well as us punters.

If the turnout is as poor as last year I can't see acts chosing to perform in front of tiny audiences no matter what they get paid to do so.

Bit of a shame really.

I am totally with you Mr 28 (sorry I missed you and the Missus in Byron), last year was a disaster and embarrassment. Also from I what I was told you could purchase the early bird ticket at venues in Bateman's the day of the festival ! I actually found it a bit of an insult that they try to temp us with this very limited line up!

I note from an email last week that they have sold all the early bird tickets (what all 10?). Very sad indeed as this was certainly one of the best little festivals around.

Sarah
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:11:06 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
So how does the National Folk Festival get on ?

Here's a bit of a bluesfest - folkfest comparison - can't say they got it 100% correct as they say the shuttle to & from bf is free but they got most of it correct.
http://timberandsteel.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/the-easter-dilemma/

the 2011 National Folk Festival lineup http://www.folkfestival.asn.au/program/
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 12:54:09 PM

Not much added to the list to warrant me spending $2000 on a trip.

Kenny Neal,Ali Penney,Detonators are all that have have sublime appeal for me.

While I'd enjoy a number of the others,there are none that warrant the expense involved.

Be interesting to see where else Kenny Neal is playing.