Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

tickets Options
kombi09
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:49:37 AM
Groups: Member

just recieved infomation on the tickets price for 2012 they have gone up a fair bit??
the buddy is $200.00 more,( i paid $930.00 last year)why the bloody camp site was smaller and yes the bands were great
but shit that is to much!!!....not unless jimi hendrix is coming.
knee deep in mud by the toilet blocks was good!!!
i just think that the price increase is over the top.
i will be there next year just letting 'peter noble' know that line-up
would want to be bloody fantastic next year?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:08:48 AM

I consider that $355 for a five day ticket is extremely cheap.

If you have reached your capacity audience,it makes economic sense to increase prices.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:17:40 PM

i HATE posts like the one i'm about to make, but here goes.

splendour in the grass = $520 for what is ostensibly (though, sure, not technically) two and a half days of music.

i just wanna know why i didn't get the email :-(

The poster formerly known as Dan
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:17:40 PM

The Splendour Website reveals that a ticket to the 2011 festival is $401.50.

The pricing theory is summarised on the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/supply_and_demand

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:43:56 PM

It is still cheap for what's is offer* but an over 50 buck increase on last year is a big jump, I will leave it up to someone with mathematical abilities to work out the percentage (or don't bother).

Just bought mine anyway & have paid the extra $10 to pay over 4 months.

*not that we actually know but haven't been let down yet.
glenhay
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:15:12 PM

Regardless of how much it's gone up, it's cheap. I'll be buying next years tickets in the next day or so. For 2011 I paid for three 5 day tickets with camping. I think I spent more on booze and food etc etc during the five days we were there (I shouted my 2 sons for Bluefest as I will again next year). I reckon I enjoyed spending every cent of it. We had a ball, watched at least 3 absolutely brilliant concerts each day (with a few mediocres and a few dissapointments), chilled out, and found that the festival is just a happy place to be.
Midfielder
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:45:14 PM
Groups: Guest

Received the ticket offer on email ... for a five day ticket and camping for five days ... two people $ 1 , 130 .... so accommodation and five days of shows for $ 565..... that on a scale of other things I attend not a bad price..

All up BTW as can be read on the home page 110, 000 .... people or 18, 000 per day...
andrewhyde
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:52:14 PM

It's not a justifiable increase and the cant possibly top the line up they had this year.

Disappointing.
mpember
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:36:48 PM

I was talking to someone last night and was wondering if I could name someone that could be added to the list that would top this year. As I said before seeing the price for this year, I would like to see BF move away from the headline 1-day clowd pleasers. As was shown by the lack of Tuesday selling out, Bluesfest should focus on encouraging their repeat, 5 and 3 day audience to return and not relying on headline acts to make people notice the festival. The sh1t storm caused by Bob complaints and Tuesday artists not appearing during the weekend may mean that BF won't get another chance to win these people back. I would be surprised if many of the BF virgins who came for BB and Bob will be back next year.

I don't deny that $565 is still less than many were spending on tickets + accomodation before camping became a feature of the festival, but a 20%+ jump in ticket pricing is a hell of a whack to your loyal fans.

Since BF are already thinking about tickets for 2011, they should start work NOW on a "ticket exchange" or some sort of official method for people selling tickets if someone comes up between now and next April that means they won't be able to use their ticket. An officially endorsed, monitored place for people to offer / buy tickets AT FACE VALUE would certainly ease the concerns with forking out so much cash so far ahead of the actual event.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:01:23 PM

Bluesfest is not going to provide a ticket exchange until they sell out from HQ.

That is commercial reality.

Why is someone going to buy a ticket on a ticket exchange at the same price at which they can buy off the Bluesfest website ?

With the festival being sold out this year,the number of tickets changing hands elsewhere was a story in itself...and not all vendors were scalpers.

As for the Bob and BB thing...people vote with their feet and it certainly brought them in the gate....and left more room in the other tents.

In regard to who they could add to top the bill.....the acid test is to look around to see who the stadium acts are....there are heaps of the general public who have little real interest in music,who will get hooked up with their mates and go to see any one of a number of popular acts...and there appear to be a large number of them...

I think one day crowd pleasers are a great idea if it means a few more less popular but interesting acts can be sourced....after all,it is miminal time out of the total time the festival operates..

I thought Tuesday was good in terms of a crowd...considering the circumstances I did not expect it to sell out...and any tickets for resale were certainly not being discounted...

As for the bob thing,if they pitch another act of major interest into the mix,people will lemming along just the same...you only have to look at the sold out Elton john gig here later this year....it is the in thing to do,particularly for those with minimal real interest in music....and you are in the out crowd if you don't go.....which was why all the school kids went to Bob and BB

mpember
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:14:17 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Bluesfest is not going to provide a ticket exchange until they sell out from HQ.

Why is someone going to buy a ticket on a ticket exchange at the same price at which they can buy off the Bluesfest website ?

In many cases, they DID sell out. You can't use the excuse that Tuesday tickets did not sell out as a reason for not allowing a safe environment for people looking to buy/sell their Monday ticket.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
As for the Bob and BB thing...people vote with their feet and it certainly brought them in the gate....

And if you looked at Mojo towards the end of Grace Jones or John Legend, many were heading for the gates early.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
the acid test is to look around to see who the stadium acts are.

BF has grown due to it being a place to see acts who you won't see anywhere else. Chasing the "Splendour" crowd will put at risk the reputation that BF has built over the last 20 years.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I think one day crowd pleasers are a great idea if it means a few more less popular but interesting acts can be sourced....after all,it is miminal time out of the total time the festival operates..

It has been a growing complain in recent years that not enough acts were able to perform twice. The problem only compounds when all your stages are hosting headline acts every night.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I thought Tuesday was good in terms of a crowd...considering the circumstances I did not expect it to sell out...and any tickets for resale were certainly not being discounted...

The void of campers and signs almost begging people to stay for the extra night would suggest otherwise. At $40 a head, that's $1000s in empty camp sites. The staff running the General store pretty much gave up and closed early on Tuesday night because nobody was left to serve.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
you only have to look at the sold out Elton john gig here later this year....it is the in thing to do,particularly for those with minimal real interest in music....and you are in the out crowd if you don't go.....which was why all the school kids went to Bob and BB

Again, that is a shift away from what BF has repeatedly sold itself on. BF used to be a festival where if you could say you saw someone or some band BEFORE they were discovered by the mainstrain audiences.

I realise that my post is starting to look like a "good ol' days" post longing for a return to the days of my youth when it was safe to leave your tent unlocked and the only chance of being crushed in a crowd was in the line for the bus at the end of the night. It is not my hope that BF turns into the same crowds seeing the same cycle of acts every 4 years. I just think that having days where you stick nothing but headline acts on one after the other risks turning into just another festival. I remember fondly the "greedfest" Monday evening. Not because Ben Harper closed, but because Taj Mahal won over a tent filled with people who had no idea who he was and had then singing his songs after he left the stage. Headline acts should be a way of drawing audiences in and exposing them to something new, not the Mojo-vs-The Rest that appears to have happened this year.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:27:44 PM

AAA

I agree that they sold out all but Thursday and Tuesday tickets.

The critical word is UNTIL.

The fact is that Monday tickets were sold on the forum.

Anything with Bob in it,or anything with camping attached,sold like a hot cake.

BBB

I did not see John Legend,but I understand that he was not universally appreciated.

There were four other tents at that time slot.

I watched the Bamboos,but would have also enjoyed Melbourne Ska Orchestra or Michael Franti & Spearhead.

John Legend would have been a fourth or fifth choice for me.

CCC

I watched Fishbone on Friday,having waited 45 minutes for Grace to appear.

I did see 80 % of her Tuesday set,and enjoyed it.

Local one-dayers I talked to in Crossroads on Tuesday afternoon said the word around Byron was that Grace was worth coming to see.

DDD

There must be a balance between the "image Bluesfest has created" and survival.

We saw a line in the sand drawn at the end of Bluesfest 2004,my first festival.

I watched an absolutely mindblowingly great Kenny Neal playing to an almost empty Jambalaya.

In the same vein,I saw the small crowds in the rockabilly tent at Narooma.

Life is ever evolving and we must adapt to change.

A sold out festival means that the Bluesfest team are providing what sufficient members of the public will pay for.

As to your comment that "BF has grown due to it being place to see acts that you won't see elsewhere",I could not comment with any authority without researching who has played at BF over the years,and whether those artists have played downunder on other occasions,and conducting a survey of Bluesfest patrons.

I did talk to an older gent who said he would not have come if Warren Haynes had not played.

EEE

It depends on whether you are drawn to headline acts.

If you attend to catch headline acts then you do have a problem.

I favour the obscure,and don't have major issues in that area.

FFF

The camp sites are going to be empty for most of the year,and considering that the sixth day was not announced from the start ensured that there would not be a massive population of campers on Tuesday.

The Tuesday was designed to bring in people from the surrounding areas for the one day.

When I was entering the site on Tuesday,most of the patrons were one dayers.,as was confirmed when I looked at wristbands during some of the gigs.

The wages for those manning a general store are not going to have material affect on the cost structure of the festival.

GGG

We are all getting older,and the average age of Bluesfest attendees is now somewhat younger than you or I.

I find it enriching,as it brings me to watch artists,and styles who I would otherwise not tune into.

As for keeping your tent locked,no matter where we live,the crime rate is much higher than it used to be.

ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:44:50 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:
In many cases, they DID sell out. You can't use the excuse that Tuesday tickets did not sell out as a reason for not allowing a safe environment for people looking to buy/sell their Monday ticket.

I think the forum thread for ticket selling that is reinstated whenever the BF office sells out is quite sufficient. It’s actually more than any other festival I can think of does as far as trying to keep some kind of control over scalping/profit taking resale of tickets.
TheLoneRanger wrote:
As for the Bob and BB thing...people vote with their feet and it certainly brought them in the gate....

mpember wrote:
And if you looked at Mojo towards the end of Grace Jones or John Legend, many were heading for the gates early.

Wouldn’t be the first (or last) time people have tried to get the jump at the end of the night. And given that these are lower profile headline acts, I’d have thought they’d better fit your criteria anyhow?
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:
BF has grown due to it being a place to see acts who you won't see anywhere else. Chasing the "Splendour" crowd will put at risk the reputation that BF has built over the last 20 years.

You’re both half right, which I guess makes you right if you team up. The festival really grew because they recognised rode the crest of the “roots music” explosion of the early-mid 2000’s, and have since put in place an obviously effective business model. The quantity of music on offer each year at this festival when combined with the (relative) lack of new “stars” emerging within the core genres has meant that they’ve had to cast the net wider in trying to serve up fresh looking bills that will entice people to make the sizeable investment to attend.
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:
It has been a growing complain in recent years that not enough acts were able to perform twice. The problem only compounds when all your stages are hosting headline acts every night.

I believe this has been less of a complaint since the withdrawal of Michael Chugg from the management/ownership team. And during that time, it was a consequence of perhaps spreading the fest too thin, with satellite events on at the same time. At a quick count, 80 or so acts (of 120 or so) played 2 or more sets this year. That’s pretty good going.
Plus, I’m with Ranger on this one – the crowd drawing acts make it economically feasible to sustain a deep and varied lineup.
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:
The void of campers and signs almost begging people to stay for the extra night would suggest otherwise. At $40 a head, that's $1000s in empty camp sites. The staff running the General store pretty much gave up and closed early on Tuesday night because nobody was left to serve.

Tuesday was a calculated business risk in response to an opportune alignment of public holidays. If it didn’t work out, it won’t happen again and no-one need worry about it ever again.
TheLoneRanger wrote:
you only have to look at the sold out Elton john gig here later this year....it is the in thing to do,particularly for those with minimal real interest in music....and you are in the out crowd if you don't go.....which was why all the school kids went to Bob and BB

mpember wrote:
Again, that is a shift away from what BF has repeatedly sold itself on. BF used to be a festival where if you could say you saw someone or some band BEFORE they were discovered by the mainstrain audiences.

I can only offer my own perspective which is that the Bluesfest didn’t sell itself to me, other than to offer a list of acts that I really wanted to see. Within half an hour of arriving at my first in 2004, I was hooked. Then, I was amongst the waves of kids in the previously mentioned “roots music explosion”. I’ve since grown out of (most) of those acts, but had always managed to find something to keep me interested. I don’t think this has changed for other newcomers, whom I imagine will have a similar experience. And I note, James Brown was a monster headliner in 2004. Ranger, you’re exaggerating on this one, but your point about “tag along fans” is not without merit. Just one of those things that goes with the territory.
mpember wrote:
I realise that my post is starting to look like a "good ol' days" post longing for a return to the days of my youth when it was safe to leave your tent unlocked and the only chance of being crushed in a crowd was in the line for the bus at the end of the night. It is not my hope that BF turns into the same crowds seeing the same cycle of acts every 4 years. I just think that having days where you stick nothing but headline acts on one after the other risks turning into just another festival. I remember fondly the "greedfest" Monday evening. Not because Ben Harper closed, but because Taj Mahal won over a tent filled with people who had no idea who he was and had then singing his songs after he left the stage. Headline acts should be a way of drawing audiences in and exposing them to something new, not the Mojo-vs-The Rest that appears to have happened this year.

Nothing wrong with fond memories. I would just suggest that you’re perhaps being a little harsh in your assessment of the current state of affairs.
mpember
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:46:41 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
The average age of Bluesfest attendees is now somewhat younger than you or I.

I may have been attending since 2001, and my post may have sounded like a rant about "those pesky kids", but I am only 30. I think there were enough festival goers recapturing their hippy days to keep the average age about that. ;)
mpember
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:01:04 AM

ScottM wrote:

I think the forum thread for ticket selling that is reinstated whenever the BF office sells out is quite sufficient. It’s actually more than any other festival I can think of does as far as trying to keep some kind of control over scalping/profit taking resale of tickets.

I purchased my Soundwave ticket through an official system where those wanting to buy tickets registered their interest on the website and those wanting to sell their ticket did the same. No running around with forum posts or PM bartering. All payments were made through the organiser so their was no need to exchange financial information in a "public" forum.

Big Day Out have been offering a similar system for at least the last two events:

http://www.bigdayout.com/news/index.php?NewsId=10

Splendour in the Grass also offer an exchange. (which cost $20 for the person selling the ticket)

AFAIK, the BF website makes no mention of the forum as a place to sell your ticket and offers no protection for people buying through such a method.
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:41:05 AM

mpember wrote:
I purchased my Soundwave ticket through an official system where those wanting to buy tickets registered their interest on the website and those wanting to sell their ticket did the same. No running around with forum posts or PM bartering. All payments were made through the organiser so their was no need to exchange financial information in a "public" forum.

Big Day Out have been offering a similar system for at least the last two events:

http://www.bigdayout.com/news/index.php?NewsId=10

Splendour in the Grass also offer an exchange. (which cost $20 for the person selling the ticket)

AFAIK, the BF website makes no mention of the forum as a place to sell your ticket and offers no protection for people buying through such a method.

Fair enough - I'll cop that. Haven't been to those festivals, and my ignorance showed. To me, it just creates a speculative market though. The BF earlybirds are pre-lineup, so the easier it is to resell, the more people would just buy one for the hell of it, then change their mind later.
mpember
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:14:29 AM

ScottM wrote:
Fair enough - I'll cop that. Haven't been to those festivals, and my ignorance showed. To me, it just creates a speculative market though. The BF earlybirds are pre-lineup, so the easier it is to resell, the more people would just buy one for the hell of it, then change their mind later.

It is no guarantee that you will be able to resell it. And it could also be possible for BF to only allow the reseller to receive their discounted amount, while selling it to the buyer at the full price. BF would make a profit rather than the person looking to sell their ticket. BF could even impose a fee for people who want to change the name on their ticket. That way the only way of officially changing the name on the ticket would be either by selling it back through the "exchange" or for a fee. The best way of stopping scalpers is to make it as easy as possible for people wanting to buy tickets in touch with people looking to sell their ticket at a reasonable price.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:31:34 AM

ScottM wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:

TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:

Wouldn’t be the first (or last) time people have tried to get the jump at the end of the night. And given that these are lower profile headline acts, I’d have thought they’d better fit your criteria anyhow?
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:

You’re both half right, which I guess makes you right if you team up. The festival really grew because they recognised rode the crest of the “roots music” explosion of the early-mid 2000’s, and have since put in place an obviously effective business model. The quantity of music on offer each year at this festival when combined with the (relative) lack of new “stars” emerging within the core genres has meant that they’ve had to cast the net wider in trying to serve up fresh looking bills that will entice people to make the sizeable investment to attend.
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:

I believe this has been less of a complaint since the withdrawal of Michael Chugg from the management/ownership team. And during that time, it was a consequence of perhaps spreading the fest too thin, with satellite events on at the same time. At a quick count, 80 or so acts (of 120 or so) played 2 or more sets this year. That’s pretty good going.
Plus, I’m with Ranger on this one – the crowd drawing acts make it economically feasible to sustain a deep and varied lineup.
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:

Tuesday was a calculated business risk in response to an opportune alignment of public holidays. If it didn’t work out, it won’t happen again and no-one need worry about it ever again.
TheLoneRanger wrote:

mpember wrote:

I can only offer my own perspective which is that the Bluesfest didn’t sell itself to me, other than to offer a list of acts that I really wanted to see. Within half an hour of arriving at my first in 2004, I was hooked. Then, I was amongst the waves of kids in the previously mentioned “roots music explosion”. I’ve since grown out of (most) of those acts, but had always managed to find something to keep me interested. I don’t think this has changed for other newcomers, whom I imagine will have a similar experience. And I note, James Brown was a monster headliner in 2004. Ranger, you’re exaggerating on this one, but your point about “tag along fans” is not without merit. Just one of those things that goes with the territory.
mpember wrote:

Nothing wrong with fond memories. I would just suggest that you’re perhaps being a little harsh in your assessment of the current state of affairs.

O dear the stress of being marooned on a small island has caused Scott to out Patrick the LONEly stRANGER !!

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:03:46 AM

greybeard wrote:
O dear the stress of being marooned on a small island has caused Scott to out Patrick the LONEly stRANGER !!

The tyranny of distance...... Though it is no small praise you've heaped upon me.
Dan...
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:52:12 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
The Splendour Website reveals that a ticket to the 2011 festival is $401.50.

The pricing theory is summarised on the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/supply_and_demand

sorry. $520 incl. camping.

The poster formerly known as Dan