Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

LONDON CALLING..... Options
waffles
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:40:28 PM
Groups: Member

SCOTT MAC..
friends are heading to london about the 4th june can you give me some idea of whos appearing and where...thanks.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ScottM
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 6:22:07 PM

OK, deep breath and here we go:

Shame they get in on the 4th - Robyn Hitchcock is doing a Captain Beefheart tribute with a crack band on Friday 3rd.....

5th June - Mick Harvey (XOYO Shoreditch)
10th June onwards - Ray Davies puts together the Meltdown Festival at Southbank http://meltdown.southbankcentre.co.uk/2011-ray-davies-meltdown/
18th and 19th June - London Feis Festival at Finsbury Park (Day 1 incl Bob Dylan, Christy Moore, The Cranberries, Shane MacGowan, Imelda May, Waterboys - Day 2 incl Van Morrison, Jimmy Cliff, Thin Lizzy, Teddy Thompson)
23rd June - Reverend Horton Heat (Electric Ballroom Camden Town)
20th to 23rd June - Bobby Womack (Jazz Cafe Camden Town)
27 June - Leon Russell (Cadogan Hall)
27 June onwards for a week - "The London Bluesfest" (bunch of stuff around town including: Georgie Fame, BB King, Al Di Meola, Booker T, Dr John, James Hunter, Jon Cleary, Monty Alexander and Trombone Shorty) http://www.bluesfestlondon.com/artists

Otherwise, the Blues Kitchen in Camden is a fun place out for a night. Lower profle acts, but free with a good dance floor and a great southern style menu.

And http://www.list.co.uk/ is generally pretty good with information - you can specify dates, genres etc.

Everything listed above is easily reached via tube - all fairly central (except maybe London Feis, but it is maybe 20 minutes north of town by train?)

Can't vouch for availablity on anything - the scalpers/touts will be at most things. Obviously jacked up prices, but if it is getting closer to show time and they are sweating sitting on too many spares, you may score a reasonable price. But it is just a wildcard if you really want to catch something.

One other thing to note is earlier start times at London gigs. Doors generally at 7:30pm, first support 8:00pm to 8:30pm, main act 9pm to 10:30pm (or thereabouts). I got caught out in my first couple of weeks here and only just made it/came in halfway through.

Hope this helps out - if they are there any longer than that, my list keeps going :-)
ScottM
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 6:23:21 PM

And apologies for taking my time to reply - was in Amsterdam last weekend. Sometimes you wanna go, where everybody knows your name..........
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:21:53 PM

Add to the list -

Friday 3 June - Eric Bibb
Sat 4th June - Jack Bruce

Both at Southbank Centre.