Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Los Lobos? Options
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:00:52 PM
Groups: Member

Any feedback about The Wolves? Preferably from someone who caught their admittedly lacklustre sets in 2006? Were they back on form this time out?
arbee0
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:22:55 PM

ScottM wrote:
Any feedback about The Wolves? Preferably from someone who caught their admittedly lacklustre sets in 2006? Were they back on form this time out?

Much improved from 06 in my opinion Scotty - at least to the extent that this time they did seem to want to be there and did try to interract with us paying punters.
But in the end, all they gave me again was very average rock music and zero charisma.
But this from someone who just couldn't get into Li'l Band of Gold last year and hated Elvis Costello this one, against all other opinions, so I'm probably not the ideal judge.
youngbill
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:20:02 PM
Groups: Guest

I made both sets, but missed the 2006 edition (curse you former girlfriend!).

They seemed to be trying to sell it, but the audience wasn't really making an effort, strange in a year that saw some huge responses from the punters.

I thought they would be the band of the fest for me, but that didn't happen sadly.

comanche
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:22:25 PM

I hated Los Lobos. The only reason I stayed was because I wanted to get front and centre for BB (which I did!)

Dull, uninspiring. Didn't bother to dress for the occasion. Looked like they just walked in from the beach. Not a good look. The lead guitarist looked like he didn't want to be there and even walked off for a bit.
katieforfree
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 6:35:24 AM

They were better than 2006. I stayed for whole set this time :)
waffles
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:59:06 AM

k.f.free-i think you should get a discount for the amount of bluesfest s youve attended.i see youve clocked up 22 like me.
just produce a poster from festival 1 to get your discount -and i just happen to have1.
-

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 3:43:46 PM

I saw them on Thu and thought their sound was too cluttered. It didn't seem to be the fault of the sound system, which had been fine for Ruthie. I decided they just had too much instrumentation. They were followed by a lil (3 piece) band from Texas who showed that less is more. The Lobos material sounded good - they just needed a cleaner, less cluttered sound.

Bob
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:16:50 AM

Thanks everyone - I was curious because they were an act that kind of slipped under the radar in the lead up. I think they may have peaked as a band, with diminishing returns on the recorded front too.

I loved their album The Ride about five years back. Had some great guest spots and some good, mature songwriting. Since then, I admit there hasn't been a lot to capture my attention.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:35:56 AM

After my non enjoyment of their previous appearance at Bluesfest,I gave them a wide berth.

My travelling companion who is a fan,enjoyed their gigs.

Another person from here did not enjoy them on the same basis that I did not enjoy them last time around.

I was talking to her after BB & The Blues Shacks,a band which showed enthusiasm and connection with the audience.

She commented on the difference between the two bands.

People gave Jeff Beck a hard time for no connection,but in that respect,Los Lobos are on a different planet.

That first negative component being the barrier between band and audience.....

The second negative component being too much mexican stuff.....ok if you are playing to an audience who understands the lingo.

In the first set,I am informed that they played La Bamba as a sweetener .

In the second set,I am informed that they played less Mexican stuff because they got the vibes that the audience did not dig it.

But the trade off was that there was no La Bamba.

As I have said before,give me Dave Gonzales any day.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
drwildare
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:57:43 AM

I found Los Lobos dull and uninspiring. I actually undertand the lingo but they seemed to be playing it by the numbers. Far more entertaining was Raul Malo.

The Dr is in the House
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:16:07 AM

the word was out on raul malo...i ran into some old mates whos music opinion i value...they all said raul malo was tops..pissed off i missed him.looks like i buy his cd.
didnt like los lobos at all...too much mexico.
bb and the blues shack were ok but lost a bit in translation,i think theyre german? especially mer..currrie blues. funny one of the few bands
to play blues was german.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:39:16 AM

The retreat to more "Mexican" material is not unexpected, given their prominence in the East L.A. scene back in the day. As to why they are going that way, it may simply be a matter of age and a preference to go back to material that is closer to their heart? But if that's the case, one has to wonder at the lack of enthusiasm..... Age again? A long time to be a touring band. Maybe don't like festivals and play them as a necessary evil? Maybe they don't like each other anymore? Maybe just don't like Australians :-)
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:09:05 AM

I saw the Friday Raul Malo set,and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Easy to listen to and the band seemed pleased to be able to entertain us.

I saw the Monday BB & the Blues Shacks show.

I was up the front,and didn't find the language an issue.

They were pleased to be there.

To be truthful all round they were not as outstanding as I expected.

After watching the German swing band Ray Collins' Hot club on DVD,I had expected to see a horn section,or at least a sax player.

In fact I failed to thoroughly read their background material,and skim read the words "swinging" and "jump blues."

I thought Ray Beadle was better at what he did.

Just because an act comes from Europe,that does not mean that it is better than an Aussie act.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:39:40 PM

I was hoping for something from The Ride as it was so good, but nothing at all that can remember. None of the tunes they played seemed as strong as those they could have chosen.