Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Next year improvements Options
beakyfish
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:58:23 AM
Groups: Member

dont let so many people in, Mon night too many people, id rather pay a few bucks more than get squashed
No Bob Dylan
More fixed seating especially in food area
Better drainage ,its not hard
dont put BB King in crossroads, why he was not in mojo?
bluescale
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:21:35 AM

How about not taking away the Australian way of life and allowing people to drink at campsites. I understand No Glass, but security seemed confused on whether to allow alcohol at all. Yes i understand that it is private property and what they say is meant to go, however if I pay for accomodation, its not much different than renting, a man's home is his (or her) castle. Lets not forget that they have a captive crowd with limited acces to festival site and supplies. And if you arrived on Wednesday morning thats along time to go without a beer! Not that we did'nt smuggle in our well earned easter break drinks but its seems a big waste of time when the majority of people do the right thing.
Paladin
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:39:45 AM

Agree they need to fix drainage. There is a photo under the 2011 photo thread of Tuesday. This is only after one out of six days rain. If passed years trends pan out we will hit a fest very soon where it rains continuously. This site will not handle it. I could even forsee the first cancelled Fest.

They should sit down with the bus company and work out ways of doing prepaid bus passes. This would save heaps of time emptying the fest at night instead of waiting for people to fumble for change. Would also be better for the punters.

The bench seating in the food courts/cafe/and beer garden was a great idea. Stopped the selfish people stealling all the chairs for personal viewing use. This was a massive step forward in having proper chill-out zones. I ALWAYS found a seat and had a good conversation to boot. Whoever thought of this at your planning meetings needs a pay rise. Bravo.

A bar somewhere closer to Juke Joint / Apra area. Also make sure there are resupplies of advertised drinks close by so bars can be restocked on the fly. Also a wider selection of beer choices.

They need to seriously review their contract with this security company. Inconsistant enforcement of camera entry. Some where over the top to the point of bullying. I personally witnessed one overly aggressive frisking of a female just entering the site for the day, almost to the point of sexual harrasment. They also didn't seem to care about overly agressive punters disrupting others, more focussed on what cameras where in the crowd.

A simple definition of what cameras are allowed. eg "If you can detach the lens then no go" , "Can't detach the lens, go through sir/madam".

Overall many great improvents made this year. Bench seating in chill-out zones, reduced noise bleed, good toilet set-up.

Keep improving BF team making the best fest better year by year is a great goal.
bakes09
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:41:05 AM

Bus arrangements/Schedule Timing.

* Thursday night Buses were a nightmare. It was a free for all. Glad to see the number of buses and the organisation of the lines picked up over the following nights. I lined up at 12.10 after a great night watching Ben Harper and got on the bus at 1.40. Bit of a downer. Respect for improving it over the next few nights though.
* Paying for the buses really slows down the process of exiting the festival. Is there another way Mr Noble? Can we arrange for a return ticket or even a bus wristband (another wristband!) that allows us to hop on and off. Can a deal be worked out that we won't have to hand over money when we get on the bus to leave the festival?
* The timing of the final two main stage acts might need to be staggered a little so that everyone does not leave at the same time. I found myself not wanting to stay and enjoy all of Elvis' Monday night slot or Derek & Susan's Sunday night slot because I was scarred from the buildup late on the Thursday/Friday. I know of other people too that leave early to avoid the rush and I guess its not good that we feel we cant stay till the end. It would be great to know that you can stay right till the end of the gig knowing you wont have to wait 1hr plus. I understand the difficulties of this but its maybe worth some thought. It would be nice at 11.30/12pm to just load the buses up (sounds simple but I know its not). Ship us out : ) I guess it comes back to how quick we can get on the bus by limiting people having to get change.

Delays are inevitable I understand but anyway we can improve can only be a good thing. Just trying to give some constructive feedback.

I had a super Weekend! And from what I can see you guys do try and listen to what we say so that things can be improved and I appreciate that!
bloosfan7
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:13:11 PM

Having been to over 8 BFs (lucky me) it is good to see the improvements year on year.
My experience is shared with many others and support the following:
- Significantly improved drainage.
- The bus scenario. Prepay is a must. Such a big logistical exercise is all about fast onboard and move on and out. This turns the buses round quicker for the round trip which saves on end of night queues. Doesn't eliminate them but should move people quicker.
- As above another wristband is ok, with unlimited journeys relevant to the days purchased.
- The choice of stages for big/ger acts, timetable clashes (where you can't see a performers whole show to enjoy the artists 'show' experience) and lack of some screens has been well documented.
- I thought some of the sound mixing left a little to be desired. I am not an expert but you expert feature instruments (eg Guitar solos to be heard distinctly not "lost in the mix"
- I am sure in previous years each stage had a an MC to introduce the acts. It is quite a sterile environment when the lights dim, the act enters, play and just go off. I think some well sourced MC's would add significantly to the atmosphere. A different MC for afternoon, twilight and evening performances. It feels a bit like a performance machine some times.
- Clearer defined aisle spaces and side exits I think are a must for people who have to move in/out. When a big act is on even at the back half of the tent it still can be a daunting experience to get in/out easily. This of course has to be balanced against the latecomers who are just trying to push in.
- To add to the atmosphere the North and South gates are pretty ho hum - processing. If some budget could be dedicated to making these entrances/exits a bit more lively with an entrance that has a look and feel of going into something special would add to the buzz (think Luna Park but more voodoo, magical etc).
- the staff t-shirts (in my opinion) were pretty cool. Why wasn't this design (punters version) available for purchase? ( I know you have to be able to identify the staff and separate them from the crowd - but they were black anyway)

Cheers to all again and I look forward to BF 2012.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:36:17 PM

re the MC to introduce the acts.i remember suggesting this after the adelaide guitar festival 2009? had the same thing.
MC comes out a few minutes before the act and does a quick history of the act-band members etc. i had several people asking me about acts-they could have read there RHYTHMS mag.-but still not a bad idea.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Thomas351
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:21:19 PM

1. Confine chairs to the back of the tents and outside.
2. Put screens outside both Mojo & Crossroads for people with chairs.
3. Let umbrellas in. We walked out to the car to get umbrellas only to be told we couldnt bring them in, silly thing was you can buy them inside. Aparrently they are too dangerous but you can take a chair and hit peoples legs as you walk by.
4. Lift the screens in the tents higher. Could hardly see them over the crowd.
5. A few more carpark exits would help.
6. Cheaper drinks, surely bluesfest makes enough money without charging $7.50 for a beer. At that price we should get Corona's not VB or New.
7. Have smoking areas away from tents & food.
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:39:11 PM

Wood chips on the ground in case it rains, which it did on Tuesday. The mud was ankle deep in some areas. Thanks.

bluesinmypants
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:50:45 PM

1. Naked mud wrestling when it rains.
2. Free food for every 300th customer
3. Free in-seat massages for chair sitters
4. Open Bar every second hour.
5. Special tent for Straight singles.
6. Special tent for Gay singles.
7. Free shuttle bus between the two for Bi- Singles.
8. Free door to door limosine for every punter.
koneill
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 10:03:39 AM

1) quote "Lift the screens in the tents higher. Could hardly see them over the crowd."

YEP If the screens and the actual stage were higher one could see over the heads of the crowd
and a whole lot of people would be happy with their spot even towards the back = reduced hassling for position.

2) Buy some more screens for Jambalaya and Crossroads plus better speakers for the extension screen as in the back of Mojo

3) mixing was a whole lot better this year, however one stage had a spot where feedback was generated
for the main singer's mike which was there the whole 5 days I was there - this should have been fixed straight away.

4 ) a load of cracker dust or sand in the toilet ground surface would have avoided the quagmire, or even some duckboards
Once again this was a situation which should have been fixed early
Thanks
Robert
tatiana59
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 1:08:35 PM

i had a terrrific time, but i would like to add some feedback about the shuttle bus timetables and other public transport issues

later though, i am going out for now.

great festival, & i bought an early bird 5 day ticket for 2012.
Lindaful
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:07:17 PM

1. find a better way to ticket and security check – thousands of cars queuing for up to an hour to finally get to the campsite was a very environmentally damaging start to the festival
2. ban all chairs and provide seating
3. provide much more FREE water outlets
4. provide wider and shorter route between Mojo and Crossroads – route was unnecessarily long and unpleasantly crowded with everyone forced into the narrow space opposite the kidz club
5. better crowd management – need EMPTY aisles in big tents so people can escape if they need to
6. provide soap in the toilets (surely that is an obvious public health issue!)
7. raise front screen and put mid tent screens in Crossroads and front screens in Jamabalya
8. spread wood chippings in wet areas
9. allow entry at 10:00am – along with more buskers (could have had more locations) and stalls
10. more coffee outlets (the service at the main one was appalling)
11. put all big performers in Mojo (why on earth was BB at Crossroads!)
12. stagger early performances
13. allow refunds of alcohol tickets when the item has run out – surely it is illegal to sell a ticket for something that is not available then refuse a refund!
14. provide a bar between Juke Joint and Apra
15. cheaper alcohol – ridiculous mark up leaves a sour taste
16. allow own alcohol in camp sites – can still ban glass
mpember
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:55:17 PM

Lindaful wrote:

I am pretty sure that liability insurance and RSA restrictions would make it near impossible to allow alcohol in the campsite.

As someone who opted not to drink during the festival, I had no issue with it. And as more and more people start treating music festivals as a social event with no consideration of the acts performing, this is going to become more important. It only takes a campsite of individuals who want to sit up all night drinking to ruin it for those nearby. It you truely want to spend your evenings (or mornings) drinking, then there are options available such as not camping and staying in town.

Some may see this as a "wowser" response, but I don't care. I forked out my money to spend my days listening to good music and my nights getting a good night's sleep in preperation for another day of good music. Not everything requires alcohol for it to be enjoyed.
fumbles01
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 3:17:36 PM

After breakfast before we soldiered on to the festival we thought of some more ways to make money for the festival. (I mean $5 to charge a phone)
Firstly ban entry of all chairs allowing for hire special festival chairs at $40 a day with a $50 refundable deposit,(but ordered on the website and refunded after the festival) add a small train, chair lift or golf buggies to the site and charge to transport people, ($5 a time) build a tunnel from the Crossroads to Apra tents and add a toll to the armbands. (Campbell newman could advise on this)
If all this happens drinks could come down a $1.
rexrose
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 3:51:50 PM

I think to raise the screens would be a great idea and NO BLOODY HATS IN THE TENTS TO ANYONE WHO CAN WALK.
Its hard enough to see through the heads without a blkoody tophat/cowboy hat on.
tezmosis
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 10:18:16 PM

mpember wrote:
Lindaful wrote:

I am pretty sure that liability insurance and RSA restrictions would make it near impossible to allow alcohol in the campsite.

As someone who opted not to drink during the festival, I had no issue with it. And as more and more people start treating music festivals as a social event with no consideration of the acts performing, this is going to become more important. It only takes a campsite of individuals who want to sit up all night drinking to ruin it for those nearby. It you truely want to spend your evenings (or mornings) drinking, then there are options available such as not camping and staying in town.

Some may see this as a "wowser" response, but I don't care. I forked out my money to spend my days listening to good music and my nights getting a good night's sleep in preperation for another day of good music. Not everything requires alcohol for it to be enjoyed.

Agreed - I had a few beers across the 5 days (and I think I got the last heineken!) and was perfectly happy with not allowing alcohol in the campsite. 5 days is an endurance test and the last thing anyone needs is a group in the next campsite drinking and talking until the wee hours of the morning. Maybe AA should set up in the charity stalls next year.
richo
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 12:29:29 AM

Simply put... if you're going to put acts of the size of B.B. King or Bob Dylan on the bill (which I hope happens more and more!) then you need to find a better stage solution. These tents just can't hold the numbers. Time to brave the weather and go for an open-air stage. Or go back to booking Buddy Guy and John Butler as your headliners...

I personally think Tyagarah is a woefully unsuitable site. From the mud (look at what happened after a day of rain -- it's a tea tree farm... tea trees grow in swamps... do the maths!) to the traffic (all cars exiting via one t-intersection) it was an interesting experiment but you need to come up with something much better.

Find somewhere with better natural drainage, a nice gentle slope for aforementioned open-air stage, hire a traffic design/management company that actually knows how to do their job and give us an event that in every way matches the outstanding lineups you guys deliver.
mgwfall
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 2:15:49 AM

rexrose wrote:
I think to raise the screens would be a great idea and NO BLOODY HATS IN THE TENTS TO ANYONE WHO CAN WALK.
Its hard enough to see through the heads without a blkoody tophat/cowboy hat on.

Well said.

I'm sure they don't mean to deliberately obstruct vision of the shorties behind. The ones you notice with hats are tall enough to probably never have a problem with vision so probably doesn't occur to them how much bigger a "headprint" wearing a hat gives them. (& I guess the easiest way to carry a hat around when not needed is probably on the head).

I thought the hats, like the chairs, had bred profusely during the year!!

2 guys I asked if they would mind removing their hats, 1 in Jmabalaya for Tony Joe White & one in the crowded Mojo on Monday were more than happy to do so. So cheers to you 2 if you read the forum.
c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 3:24:18 AM
Groups: Guest

Raise the dissabled viewing areas a little & move the sound mixers out of the way.
Those that have no other choice but to use them should not have to be blocked by inconsiderate punters leaning on them.
If you pay the same price as everyone else & are stuck way up the back in every tent then at least a clear uninteruped view shold be a given.
Perhaps a chair only area in front of the dissabled viewing areas with the stipulation that those seated must remain so as that would create a buffer zone between those standing & those that don't have that option.
drwildare
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:40:20 AM

rexrose wrote:

You cannot ban hats in the tents without running foul of anti discrimination laws. There are some faiths that require people to have their heads covered. Also if you are having trouble seeing through someone with a hat on that just means that you should have gotten to the tent earlier. Dont blame the person wearing the hat for you not being able to see.

Perhaps you wont be satisfied until you can regulate everything in bluesfest. Like No Seats in the tents, No tall people up front. . .

The Dr is in the house