midfielder
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:03:40 PM
Groups: Guest

Just back from Bluefest at Byron ...

What I watched and saw...

Thursday

Kim Churchill ... not bad
Xavier Rudd … brilliant
Michael Franti & Spearhead … so full of energy.. couple got engaged .. hurt lady
Funky Meters .. got bored
Ben Harper… what a voice
ZZ Top … OMG can these boys play … the base did a solo for about ten minutes

Friday

Microwave Jenny … did some good stuff
Ruthie Foster …. OMG what a voice … feel like I died and went to heaven.
Eric Bibb .. what a voice and he could charm the legs off a chair…
Raul Malo … great sound sorta a South American Litano style meets rock meets the blues ..
Los Lobos… what a band and what a variety of styles..
Blind Boys of Alabama with a guest singer .. no other than Aaron Neville … the beautiful voices singing mainly gospel with a real blues soul.. just lifted me to a new place or an old place I have not often been just magic..
BB King .. what can you say the king of the blues … in his mid 80’s he still has it… however tho the show was a bit tame especially that thing he had going with his drummer..
Grace Jones … crap crap crap walked out of her tent
Rodrigo & Gabriela … OMG they played wooden guitars the best I have ever seen or heard more in a classic form but Gabriela has to be heard and seen to be believed.

Saturday

Wagons… young country and western band… not bad … but not in the class of most at Bluesfest
U Blues Band … a Singapore Blues band … not bad tried hard but like Wagons not in the class of many at Bluesfest
Leah Flanagan … great voice
Mavis Staples and Robbie Roberson played as the lead guitarist and did some solos’ … close to the best I have ever seen in many ways … sung mainly that Gospel blues .. what a voice …
Kasey Chambers … she is so nice not a bad word to say…
Imogen Heap … God they are good…
Wolfmother …. What can I say other than I am now a big fan reminded me very much of the Doors..
BB & the Blues Shack… Close to the best I saw at Bluesfest … talent talent talent..
Indigo Girls… I was disappointed maybe it the other acts and they had this huge reputation but OK but not in the class of the others..
Trinity Roots … would go watch them again quite a good show..
Melbourne SKA Orchestra …. Has to be seen to be believed such energy such fun anyone that can see this act should go it is a must see.

Sunday

Nga Tae … not a bad show
Shane Nicholson… Kasey Chambers husband … a lovely voice..
Bobby Alu … OK without being great..
Saltwater band… talented
Mavus Staples … had to watch again..
Irma Thomas… the Soul Queen of the Blues … unbelievable voice what a joy to watch…
Captain Matchbox Whoope Band… no other than the band reunited from the 70’s a great act quite funny as always but very talented folk as well..
Melbourne SKA Orchestra … watched some more as I said before this is a must see act..
Gurrumul … I shed a tear watching this guy sing… a voice so soft so gentle as if the angles gave it to him…. And he finished with a song called … “””God made me Blind because he loved me””” not to many dry eyes when he finished ..
The Cat Empire … These guys have gone into my top five must see acts … what can you say but talent talent talent and double it twice…

Monday

Getting a bit weary but this time … but in true Bluesfeast spirit carried on…
Mojo Bluesman …. Sorta of a swamp blues with one guy on the harp (mouth organ) and the other on wooden guitar …
The winner of the Buskers comp… similar to the above but with drums as well…
Hussy Hicks … great country girl band from up Byron way … they were good..
Hank Green Blues … not bad
Michelle Shocked … HHMMMMMM still not sure..
Tony Joe White …. OMG what can you say … one of the best ever..
BB & the Blues Shack … just had to watch them again..
Joe Louis Walker … what a guitar player
Warren Haynes & his allstar band… talented but did not quite grab me…
Bob Dylan … what can you say the reason I went… by no means the best show… no close ups … Bob stood side on to the audience half the night playing the organ and singing… non of the songs he sung sounds in any way like his records he just did totally different arrangements to his recorded albums … but like the other 20 K plus we screamed the house down.
Elvis Costello & the Imposters … what a great show and he is so talented…

Home now washed out but some of the best five days of my life.
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:39:34 PM
Groups: Member

midfielder wrote:

Mavis Staples and Robbie Roberson played as the lead guitarist and did some solos’ … close to the best I have ever seen in many ways … sung mainly that Gospel blues .. what a voice ….

That was Rick Holmstrom on the guitar. If it was Robbie Robertson we would have known by now.
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:44:58 PM
Groups: Member

Midnight_Rambler wrote:
That was Rick Holmstrom on the guitar. If it was Robbie Robertson we would have known by now.

It did sound odd to me. At least I'm glad I didn't miss an appearance from Robbie.
midfielder
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:51:17 AM
Groups: Guest

Midnight_Rambler wrote:
midfielder wrote:

Mavis Staples and Robbie Roberson played as the lead guitarist and did some solos’ … close to the best I have ever seen in many ways … sung mainly that Gospel blues .. what a voice ….

Sorry man .. my bad ... was told by a bloke in the camping area I was camped along side when I was talking about the show and took it at face value... OK OK next time I should check...