Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

2011 Highlights Options
CaptainVic2
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:32:41 PM
Groups: Member

All day Saturday at Crossroads! Yes, the entire day from 12 onwards! Also, the Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band-brilliant. I know many disagree, but Dylan last night, with a fantastic opening from Warren Haynes! Then finishing with Irma Thomas-Wow!Really, too much to mention. What a great 5 days, wish I were still there right now!

What was everyone else's favourite?

Probably my favourite moment was Mavis Staples doing The Spinners, "I'll Be Around!" BEAUTIFUL!!
Paladin
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:58:00 PM

For me both sets from the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Sublime.
Then there where moments like the Melbourne Ska Orchestra having ALL the people from front of stage to toilets up the back of Jambalaya dancing. Or the Snowdroppers getting the whole Apra tent squatting down for the slow build in "Shout!".
Or walking into Wagons fully intent on having an alcohol free day and suddenly realising by the end of the second song I had two beers in my hand.
Jethro Tull were on fire.
So much great music and moments. This Fest NEVER fails to deliver.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:04:48 PM

tedeschi-trucks band (sunday set)
robert randolph band (sunday set)
trombone shorty
funky meters
toots and the maytals (thursday set)
mavis staples(saturday set)
joe louis walker
jethro tull
bob abbott & the green machine(friday)
dale watson & the lonestars.
the dingoes.
forgot-loved warren haynes guitar work but thought his set a bit short-only 1 hour for a guy who normally plays for 3 hours-and why the
frick did that tall young guy push in front of me and then play with his iphone for the full set.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
brucesta
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:15:05 PM

"Captain Matchbox" for the old bastards in the crowd who grew up with their records doing laps on the turntable.
"A French Butler Named Smith" for those who enjoyed The Cat Empire before they got internally dysfuntional.
"BB and the Blues Shacks" for a heap of us who remember the blues as fun.
TROMBONE SHORTY. for everyone!!!
And lastly (otherwise I will be here too long)... "Melbourne Ska" were amazing...

Good fun weekend had by me and my friends... hope it was for you all too :-)
Always28
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:31:24 PM

bit hard to isolate highlights as there were so many but here is my list (in no particular order except for number 1)

Trucks and Tedschi times 2, how about that wonderful tribute to Derek and the Dominoes with 'Anyday'. Derek Trucks must be the coolest slinger in the game
e
Then
Funky Meters (I'm with you Sarah, sorry we missed each other)
Robert Randolph
Trombone Shorty (wherever he turned up)
Ruthie
The Hat (what would BF be without the Hat?)
Michael Franti (The genuine article)
Irma Thomas and of course Mavis
Hank Green (oh to be 13 again)
Hussy Hicks even if just for the smiles on the faces alone
BB and the Blue Shacks (What a surprise package)
Julia Zamira and the Cleavage (sorry girls)
Mrs A28 loved ZZ Top (she's a straight ahead kind of girl)
and for the best fun the Melbourne Ska Orchestra
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:45:45 PM

Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Then day light

Bob Dylan
Robert Randolph
BB King
Wagons
Barrence Whitfield
Warren Haynes
Mavis Staples
CW Stoneking
Los Lobos
ZZ Top
Ruthie Foster

ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:46:02 PM

Always28 wrote:
The Hat (what would BF be without the Hat?)

I hope we never find out. Long live Fitzy.
ryangb
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:36:07 PM

This was my first Bluesfest and I was very happy with most of the bigger names. Michael Franti, Xavier Rudd, Ben Harper, Rodrigo y Gabriela & Elvis Costello were all amazing. Seeing BB King at Bluesfest was a special moment for me but the great joy was in discovering new artists like Trombone Shorty, Ray Beadle, BB & the Blues Shacks, Eli 'Paperboy' Reed and Victor Valdes & the Marin Brothers. I was front of stage at Tim Robbins and the Rogues Gallery Band on Saturday and very impressed, especially when Trombone Shorty came on and played with them.
Thomas351
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:59:49 PM

Obviously BB King & Bob Dylan
Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi
CW Stoneking
Cat Empire
Trombone Shorty
Fistful Of Mercy

and some surprises from the smaller tents:
Blackbirds
Mojo Bluesmen

The inflatable floating heads ect and the girls on stilts were a nice touch.
dmgreaves
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:41:19 PM

Best inClass
Xavier Rudd - back to great form
Rodrigo Y Gabriela - best stage presence
Mavis Staples - almost had me converted
Michael Franti - hippy happy
Gurrumul -hypnotic
Snowdroppers - full on (and appreciated their audience)
Jethro Tull - gave everything (as opposed to Dylan who took everything)
Mad Bastards - great way to end my Festival

Also top marks for sorting out the parking issues.

On another note does anyone else feel the increasing prevalence of the "twocans" - flocks of mostly younger blokes barging around and through with two cans in their hand. Gets worse each year. They seem to be attracted more by the booze than the music and I see more and more clashing with real blues fans. Their behaviour was quite a topic this year with one Victorian pledging not to return again (apparently Port Fairy has restricted alcohol zones).
bluecoast
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:50:50 PM

dmgreaves wrote:
Best inClass
Xavier Rudd - back to great form
Rodrigo Y Gabriela - best stage presence
Mavis Staples - almost had me converted
Michael Franti - hippy happy
Gurrumul -hypnotic
Snowdroppers - full on (and appreciated their audience)
Jethro Tull - gave everything (as opposed to Dylan who took everything)
Mad Bastards - great way to end my Festival

Also top marks for sorting out the parking issues.

On another note does anyone else feel the increasing prevalence of the "twocans" - flocks of mostly younger blokes barging around and through with two cans in their hand. Gets worse each year. They seem to be attracted more by the booze than the music and I see more and more clashing with real blues fans. Their behaviour was quite a topic this year with one Victorian pledging not to return again (apparently Port Fairy has restricted alcohol zones).

Port Fairy does indeed have limited drinking areas and is indeed a brilliant festival ... banning drinking is pretty un 'blues' though .. I thought that in general there was a great vibe and i didn't see one fight or drunk person throwing up ..
i've also noted that making drinking too hard (or expensive)_ can lead to people skulling a few drinks then heading back to the stages they want to see .. ending up more drunk
gregnwen
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:06:32 PM

Dylan ok
Costello fantastic
Nat Cole & kings kicked ass
Melb ska orchestra dynamite
kate miller heidke very entertaining

A pity Rockwiz thought rehashing would keep us entertained every day starting to lose me I used to be a big fan.

Dingoes bought back great memories with solid entertainment. Everyone was writing off Wolfmother before there show but they proved themselves.

Great to see Normie rowe and Kevin Borich showing the way.

The laDY who sang with Bob Abbot on there first show was a highlight. If you know her name please pass it on

I'm off to bed now I'm fkd

bluecoast
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:13:21 PM

derek and susan: quality
hussy hicks: great band set, loved Jules on electric guitar
parliment: fun!!
BB king: had to be seen
Paul Kelly: legend . and with the Bull sisters .. thanks very much
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:26:07 PM

the first lady with bob abbott was michelle brown the second with the big voice and frame to match was lisa hunt-shes a byron local.she was actually on at ballina rsl that night.shes great . that was a special moment.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
puki77
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:33:26 PM

Enjoyed Dylan and Band on Monday.
Michael Franti was in fine form on Sunday.
Trucks & Tedeschi rocked, Nga Tae, Rod y Gab, Trombone Shorty, Raul Malo, Ernest Ranglin, Luciano, Funky Meters, Warren Haynes and Bill Jacobi are memorable standouts.

mikejohnston
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:48:13 PM

The BEST - robert randolph was great; Sunday's purple haze encore was just amazing

VERY GOOD
Indigo girls
Jethro Tull
Buffy St Marie (what a performer)
Elvis Costello
Melbourne Ska Orchestra
Kate Miller-Heideke
Wagons
French Butler Called Smioth
Trombone Shorty
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Aggroglite
Michelle Shocked
Osibisa (Mon much better than Fri))

+much improved ammenities, clean toilets, good food, minimal sound bleed

GOOD
Irma Thomas (Time is on my side)
Mavis Staples (The Load)
Little Feat
Funky Meters
Celia Noel
Ruthie Foster
Jeff Lang
Tim Robbins
Neil Murray
Michael Franti (Sun)

THE WORST
Dale Watson- great voice wated on pap songs
Derek and Susan- she's got a voice but he's just a lazy late Eric Clapton- all style and no stubstance
comanche
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:07:48 PM
Groups: Guest

Quote:
THE WORST
Derek and Susan- she's got a voice but he's just a lazy late Eric Clapton- all style and no stubstance

What a tripper! Really - "the worst"!? Dude....
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:24:47 PM

mikejohnston wrote:
The BEST - robert randolph was great; Sunday's purple haze encore was just amazing
Buffy St Marie (what a performer)
Trombone Shorty
Mavis Staples (The Load)

Ok Mike let's get this right.
Robert was the best? I agree he was my second favourite.
Buffy was very good. Have to disagree with you. Thought she was easily the worst I saw all weekend. Horrible band.
Trombone Shorty also very good. Sorry just a lazy Miles Davis wannabe.
Mavis Staples was good. Dude she was amazing. A bad that could all sing and could play unreal too. Also I think you mean The Weight not The Load.
Derek & Susan the worst? A lazy Eric Clapton???? Hahahahaha I don't think you know much about slide guitar my friend. You know he played all the slide guitar in Eric Clapton's band about 5 years ago???
thepokey
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:16:21 AM

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - WOW. I knew a lot of their stuff, watched youtube clips etc.. I knew what to expect, but they still blew me away. It's like they can read each other's mind on stage. I was always under the impression that Rodrigo would lead and hold it all together and Gabriela backed him up with the rhythm. But she totally blew me away and stole the show.

Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band - I don't think I've ever waited this long to see a band. I'm 25 and Captain Matchbox is the first band I can remember my Dad playing me that I really liked as a little kid. Probably as far back as my concious memory goes, 3 or 4 or so. I've always loved them, so after waiting so many years and to say they absolutely didn't disappoint so good. I don't know if I've ever had more fun at a single show, smile never left my face the whole performance.

Kate Miller-Heidke - She's a favorite of mine. A stunning voice, swears like a sailor and funny as heck. Her story about "Awesome Dan" the efuceekaying cockhead was brilliant. Her cover of The Real Slim Shady was incredible too.

Meeting both Washington & Cecilia Noel - Both gorgeous ladies, but both absolute class acts to meet. Both actively pursued a little conversation and genuinely felt excited to be meeting the fans. When i told Cecilia that I'd never heard of her before and just wandered into her performance and walked out buying her album she practically launched over the table to give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Also saw Tony Joe, Eric Bibb and a couple of others signing autographs and just genuinely looked thrilled to be meeting people. Always nice to see.

Ernest Ranglin - He was someone I didn't know so much about but my Dad (who couldnt make it) insisted I saw some of his set. Very impressive, but it was his humble nature that really won me over. After seeing Michael Franti the night before who's performance wasn't bad, but when he went into a self ego wanking speech between songs I just rolled my eyes. Ernest Ranglin spoke for a few minutes about how genuinely touched he was to have received so many requests for him to come back to Bluesfest that it just struck me as he was having the time of his life.

Blind Boys of Alabama - Huge! It's a shame they didn't play 'Run On', but for all us fans of 'The Wire', hearing them do the Tom Waits' cover of 'Down in the Hole' was brilliant! They had it all, huge voices, enertaining/humourus stage show. When one of them did the guided walk through the crowd, that was really cool. His trust in the person leading him and the crowd to behave was great. It must have been a really mind blowing experience being lead through a crowd of thousands, not being able to see a thing.

CW Stoneking - He was the first act I saw on the Thursday. That voice is massive, unlike bands that are still amazing like say, Royal Crown Revue, who do a style of music from yesteryear .. you still get the feeling they're a modern band channeling the past. With CW Stoneking I have a hard time believing that time travel doesn't exist because that man was surely plucked directly from the 20s or 30s and brought here.

So many wonderful highlights. Sure there were some disappointments. I'm glad I'm not a big Dylan fan and chose Jethro Tull over them because I've heard some not too flattering things which if you were really hanging your hat on Dylan being your thing, could have been very disappointing. But the the short falls of the festival were far, far outweighed by the positives. Bring on 2012!
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:20:21 AM

Good post pokey - I appreciate the mini reviews, as someone who couldn't make it this year. I remember Ernest Ranglin paired with Monty Alexander in 2005 (if not, it was 2006) - such naturals, just bouncing off each other.