Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

CHAIRS!!!!!! Options
bluescale
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:09:04 PM
Groups: Member

Ok, this topic needs attention. I have heaps of issues with conduct of people who bring in chairs only to leave them set up when they are finally forced to stand up themselves like everyone else. If they are feeling things are getting crowded, well thats because it is , you morons. I could not get close to b.b king even though early, as it was wall to wall chairs. Some people's set ups take more room than 4 standing people. Was finally glad that announcements were being made (after some many years of waiting) for chairs to be only in specific areas. Bulletin board brains trust , any Ideas?
brucesta
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:37:27 PM

I am in agreement.... management TAKE NOTE!! Tell chair carriers to KEEP to their designated areas and have security enforce it next year please. The white lines worked well Thursday thru Saturday but were ignored over the rest of the weekend.. A simple rule / sign / announcement regularly that chairs should be FOLDED during the more crowded performances would assist for the majority of punters.
CaptainVic2
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:06:58 PM

I think the chair issue was handled beautifully by the staff. Yes, it was a problem, especially at BB on Friday, but the rest of the weekend was the best it's ever been. I don't remember seeing any white until Saturday, did I miss something? Also, getting chairs off of the grandstands is a great idea. Being a person who loves his chair, I thought the way it was handled in Crossroads Saturday made for an enjoyable time, and I was there all day! I also think that most people not in chairs found navigating the tent a whole lot easier. By Sunday in Crossroads, the aisles were drawn wider, paths were left to get in and out of the tent from the side. Well done Bluesfest!!
All of the lovely people around where I was sitting chatted about the great music and great food between shows, didn't have people trampling us in the dark or hurting themselves, and didn't feel that we were taking up space that should have been reserved for standing punters.
shielphi
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:17:28 PM

Yes, Crossroads security was very good with chairs. A funny story: We were in the designated area, some bloke and his partner plonked themselves in front of us. He didn't have a chair and he looked at my wife's vacant one and asked if he could sit in it. I explained that it was her chair.."she isn't sitting in at at the moment is she?" He got a little aggressive. I'm 6' 2" and missing teeth, gave him a run for his money! Bloody nut bag!
Aridshore66
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:27:17 PM

The platforms in Mojo, had signs that said no chairs on platforms, I took four photos of people sitting in chairs and empty chairs lined up on the platforms. One lady ask me what I was doing and I told her I was going to post the photos on utube... how dare these people leave empty chairs to come back to in a few hours, we felt like throwing the whole lot of them over the bloody side.. I will post it on utube too.....
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:38:57 PM

shielphi wrote:
Yes, Crossroads security was very good with chairs. A funny story: We were in the designated area, some bloke and his partner plonked themselves in front of us. He didn't have a chair and he looked at my wife's vacant one and asked if he could sit in it. I explained that it was her chair.."she isn't sitting in at at the moment is she?" He got a little aggressive. I'm 6' 2" and missing teeth, gave him a run for his money! Bloody nut bag!

So your wife was taking up enough room for 2 people but she wasn't even there??
Paladin
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:42:42 PM

The chair people should be made to pay a tariff of say $50 for each chair per day they bring them. They taking up the room of at least 2 normal people. There was one dude on the bus with TWO chairs. I asked him why. He was setting one up in Mojo and one in Crossroads. WANKER!! I regret not venting at the time.
distinctlyme
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:42:35 PM

I bring a chair in each day as there is no way I could last the 5 days without one. However I do think the chair situation this year was nuts!

The 'chair section' seemed to work through the day but after dark it was back to chaos.

By night, mine was always back at my campsite as I honestly think that after dark the chairs should be left to a small area at the VERY back of the tent or not inside the tent at all. They were not only dangerous but also taking up WAY too much space during the headline acts. I don't think it's fair for the chairs to take up so much area when there are people not even able to get inside to listen to the acts (especially when during the act most people stand up, leaving their chair folded out).

Personally, the biggest issue for me was trying to get inside or out of Mojo on a couple of nights, as the chairs lined the entire perimeter of the tent. Even with plenty of space inside it was difficult getting in and I couldn't believe when some were indignant at having people try to get through their wall of chairs.

Also, to the people who leave their chair empty in stands or tents to 'reserve' a space for when they feel like coming back - shame on you for being so incredibly selfish.

drwildare
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:03:00 AM

CaptainVic2 wrote:
I think the chair issue was handled beautifully by the staff. Yes, it was a problem, especially at BB on Friday, but the rest of the weekend was the best it's ever been. I don't remember seeing any white until Saturday, did I miss something? Also, getting chairs off of the grandstands is a great idea. Being a person who loves his chair, I thought the way it was handled in Crossroads Saturday made for an enjoyable time, and I was there all day! I also think that most people not in chairs found navigating the tent a whole lot easier. By Sunday in Crossroads, the aisles were drawn wider, paths were left to get in and out of the tent from the side. Well done Bluesfest!!
All of the lovely people around where I was sitting chatted about the great music and great food between shows, didn't have people trampling us in the dark or hurting themselves, and didn't feel that we were taking up space that should have been reserved for standing punters.

I would have to Disagree totally as a chairy I think what they did at bluesfest this year was policy making on the run. You don't change the playing field in the middle of a day. If you have certain rules at the beginning of the day you have to stick with them. A lot of the problems this year were caused by choosing the wrong stages for some of the acts. I mean placing BB in Crossroads OMG that was always going to cause problems. Also if you think the chair people are considerate what about those who place themselves in areas that say keep clear such as the tiered seating area in Crossroads where the signs clearly said to keep the passageway clear. I did not see security once enforce that rule.

Let me say I dont care if they make a policy in respect of chairs but the policy should be made at the beginning of each day and if the policy proves to be wrong then it has to be lived with for that day.

The Dr is in the House
midfielder
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:08:42 AM
Groups: Guest

It was a night problem and then only for a few acts... but very very very poor behaviour by those in the chairs...

I took chairs but in the crowded tents folded them up or took them back to the tent...

What got me pissed was people who would leave chairs for hours and come back and want their chair still to be set up ready for them ... not sure how but allow for a toilet break but if chairs are not used in a crowded tent for over a certain time then they can be held by security..
bluecoast
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:20:11 AM

i found sitting in empty chairs worked well .. gave you a rest without carrying the things around.
CaptainVic2
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:30:30 AM

drwildare wrote:
CaptainVic2 wrote:

I would have to Disagree totally as a chairy I think what they did at bluesfest this year was policy making on the run. You don't change the playing field in the middle of a day. If you have certain rules at the beginning of the day you have to stick with them. A lot of the problems this year were caused by choosing the wrong stages for some of the acts. I mean placing BB in Crossroads OMG that was always going to cause problems. Also if you think the chair people are considerate what about those who place themselves in areas that say keep clear such as the tiered seating area in Crossroads where the signs clearly said to keep the passageway clear. I did not see security once enforce that rule.

Let me say I dont care if they make a policy in respect of chairs but the policy should be made at the beginning of each day and if the policy proves to be wrong then it has to be lived with for that day.

The Dr is in the House

Hey Doc, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the staff did what they had to on the day. It was a situation that needed solving, and they did what they needed to do.
Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:39:37 PM

CaptainVic2 wrote:
drwildare wrote:
CaptainVic2 wrote:

The Dr is in the House

Hey Doc, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the staff did what they had to on the day. It was a situation that needed solving, and they did what they needed to do.

My partner and I brought chairs this year and it is the first time I've ever done it but had to due to a medical condition with my foot. At all times we were considerate of other patrons and did not leave them unattended for lengthy periods of time. If they were both empty it would be for a short period whilst we were getting food and drinks. However, it was disappointing to see a large number of chairs left empty around us for lengthy periods. Friday night was absolute kaos when they decided it was necessary to move the chairs behind the sound desk. Whilst standing discussing the movement of the chairs with a security guard another took it upon himself to move my chair without my knowledge despite the fact that I was standing there! Luckily a guy sitting two rows behind pointed out to me where it had been moved to. Security told us that they had been instructed to either pack them up and remove them or move them further back.

They need to make their policy on chairs on the website prior to the festival each year so people understand what is required of them. Patrons also need to be courteous and not leave chairs unattended for long periods of time.
bluescale
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:05:59 PM

bluesinmypants wrote:
Oh get over it buddy! A lot of people can't stand up all day and need to sit from time to time. It was my experience that most chair-bringers were very sensible and those who sat close to any stage simply folded them up at show-time and stood like the rest of us. If you have an issue with people bringing chairs then simply bring your own and enjoy the comfort of the odd half hour between sets relaxing. Geesh!

I suffer from 3 ruptured dics in my neck that cause constant pain, so i do realized the need for a seat, Double geeeesh! I posted this as there is a problem, and just maybe, ears do listen. And if you had not noticed by other posters, there is actually a problem. Or perhaps you were one of those with your ears closed, choosing to ignore those around you. I would like too also say that there was much improvement this year on last year, maybe because having a whinge, sometimes works.
Thomas351
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:35:07 PM

midfielder wrote:
It was a night problem and then only for a few acts... but very very very poor behaviour by those in the chairs...

I took chairs but in the crowded tents folded them up or took them back to the tent...

What got me pissed was people who would leave chairs for hours and come back and want their chair still to be set up ready for them ... not sure how but allow for a toilet break but if chairs are not used in a crowded tent for over a certain time then they can be held by security..

You must have been the only considerate one there with a chair. Pity no-one else followed your example. During Dylan there was a family in front of us who were on chairs then stood up to watch the show - leaving their chairs set up as well as piles of tarps, blankets & bags lying around, those 3 people managed to take up the room of 15.

How about screens outside both Mojo & Crossroads tents and confine chairs to the rear 1/4 of the tents and outside. If people want to sit down they cant be too worried about the view so they may as well sit outside.
jerry10
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:24:08 PM

i have to take a chair to the blues now as my ms does not allow me to stand for long periods i do want to see the artist and at times sat in the disabled area to get a view. i was very disappointed with the person who left 2 chairs and their walking stick sitting at the front of the disabled area for about 2 hours and then returning to watch mavis staples
the sectioning off of areas seemed to work and the signs on the stands no chairs worked as well
it must be remembered that a number of us are aging in some parts but not our love for music
people just need to be more conciderate of others and more screens and seated areas like in the mojo area would help\

to peter noble and his fantastic team thanks for a wonderful festival had a wonderful time, heard some incredible old and new music to keep us going until next year will be getting my tickets for next year as soon as possible

thanks and all the best
bluesinmypants
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:02:22 PM

bluescale wrote:
Ok, this topic needs attention. I have heaps of issues with conduct of people who bring in chairs only to leave them set up when they are finally forced to stand up themselves like everyone else. If they are feeling things are getting crowded, well thats because it is , you morons. I could not get close to b.b king even though early, as it was wall to wall chairs. Some people's set ups take more room than 4 standing people. Was finally glad that announcements were being made (after some many years of waiting) for chairs to be only in specific areas. Bulletin board brains trust , any Ideas?

Yeah I have a great idea- you moron- bring your own chair next year. problem solved!
bluescale
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:20:01 PM

bluesinmypants wrote:
bluescale wrote:

Yeah I have a great idea- you moron- bring your own chair next year. problem solved!

Sorry you you feel i called you a moron Pant's, maybe need more than a chair!
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:44:12 PM

I'm pro Chair
The rules that need to be enforced are
1.. No empty chairs, they should be removed by security
2.. The left side of tents should be Chairs
3.. The right side of the tent is Chair Free
4.. A Safety Aisle runs down the middle
Its simple, clean and no need to call other posters names
I can feel the spirit of King Solomon

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:02:13 PM

while i take a chair,its easy to follow simple suggestions that friends and i follow
go to the toilet or for drinks during band breaks
if you go for food or to see other bands in other tents,offer your seat to some one
come back at the end of sets so you dont disturb others.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.