Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Anyone else think Barrence Whitfield was one of the best things all week? Options
lesleyac
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:48:29 PM
Groups: Member

Saw Barrence and his Savages in the Jambalaya tent yesterday . When he started the joint was basically empty. By the time he finished it was full of punters dancing their arses off. Real old school rock n roll - soul party music. I'd rather watch Barrence and his band than some jaded baby boomer icon ( snicker , no names ) anytime . Cheers Everyone.
drwildare
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:52:00 PM

No I believe it would be a Toss up between the Shortone, Trobone Shorty, Buffy or Jethro Tull.

The Dr is in the House.
Paladin
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:52:54 PM

Barrence was great, I won't say best but great. His duet with Marcia Hines at Rockwiz Sunday was a blast!! Marcia deserves her own BF spot next year , she can still whail with the best of them.
CaptainVic2
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:25:26 PM

Barrence was great! Probably had one of the best backing bands of any, the Rockwiz Orchestra at APRA. He was great on Rockwiz too! I agree with you about Marsha, what a voice.
Dan...
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:39:55 AM

barrence was awesome. better than at bdo a few years back. definitely get him back!

The poster formerly known as Dan
liesje
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:21:18 PM

I agree - he was a blast. Bought his CD & kept me dancing all the way back to Sydney. It's often the unexpected that is the best at Bluesfest. Bring him back next year
oldbilly1
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:09:42 AM

Strange little man. Liked him a lot. What a backing band to have...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:21:30 AM

You have to be pretty game to cover the Iggster.

Barrence took it on and nailed it.

Sublime stuff.

The crowd loved it.

The only comment I will make is that in his first set,he should not have had his glasses on,and he should have worn a funky shirt.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
c0kebloke
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:25:14 AM
Groups: Guest

Great stuff one of those wonderfull surprises that i love about bf.
realto
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:49:20 PM

I saw part of Barrence's Monday set and he has great talent and energy, but his musical style? 1958. He'd have been great alongside Little Richard and Chuck Berry as their contemporary, but that's all been done long ago. I preferred acts like Trombone Shorty, Fishbone and Robert Randolph, doing new things with old styles.
littlewillie
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 2:56:54 PM

Barrence was a blast!
Danced our arses off at both his sets then boogied in the car for hours to his CD on the way home
Please get him back for next year , man has he got mojo!
silverbodgy
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:07:21 AM

first gig he was not so good, but at jambalaya on monday he rocked. I'd also like to add that originality is perhaps not what bluesfest is all about. trombone shorty was awesome, particularly when he did his imitations of louis armstrong and on his second night james brown, hardly original (but informative for all those who didn't know where michael jackson got his dance moves from). I don't think it makes much sense that recently released mediocre but original music outsells older, and far better material. Barrence did justice to a period and type of music, and we're running out of people from that amazing era where he gets his style and music from. bring him back and put him on a bigger stage mid afternoon, I'd go back and I'd love to go back fo sho.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:12:32 PM

In response to Realto's post,I understand his point,in that we have moved from a period where most musicans tended to stick in the one area,to a situation where many bands now mix it all up.

That may have the result that if you are a person who is used to viewing bands who mix it up,you may find a band which plays just one style,a bit on the dull side.

But there is still a big market out there for what some may be classify as retro stuff.

I think it is important that we have musicans out there who show case the basic styles.

In regard to the 1950's logically the major focus is always on the well known artists such as Presley,Perkins,Liitle Richard,Berry,Jerry Lee,Fats Domino,but there is a long list of obscure black artists from this era who recorded a huge amount of marvellous RnB music which is virtually unknown.

To take a very prominent example,how well known to Joe public is Big Joe Turner compared to the names listed above ?

In summary,it is great to see Bluesfest shoecasing this style.

The CD has been on high rotation on my player.

On a tangent,when "Grease" emerged in the 1970's,the commercial success achieved by all that attached to it when it evolved from stage to screen,reflected a large market out there for retro stuff.

The other point is that there are a huge list of artists who are no longer alive,thus someone else has the duty of presenting their material.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8