Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Accom Scam Options
kat098
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:19:16 PM
Groups: Member

Did anyone else have the misfortune to book accomodation with a bloke called Sam on the forum?
He took our money and provided us with no bed. Chap in property next door stated that Sam is a notorious scammer of Byron.
Police in Byron have been advised and requested that any affected parties make a civil claim to try and recoup their losses.They dont seem to think it was intentional fraud....
Sorry but to my way of thinking, if I make a booking and you can no longer supply that booking surely a non fraudulant type of person would let you know proir to arrival and organise a full refund.....hmmm
If only it was just the money,it was more the pure inconvenience of arriving in an overbooked holiday spot and then having to door knock on foot every hostel in the Bay to try and find a bed whilst lugging a trolly bag and overstuffed backpack from pillar to post.
I wound up having to change hostels 3 times during a 6 day stay as no hostel could fit me in for the entire week of festival.Bit of a blight on my otherwise awesome festival trek. I shall make advance bookings next year and avoid all vendors on the forum
goodkarma2u
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:25:10 PM
Groups: Member

Hi kat, I hadnt heard about this. I am a local and there are many good meaning locals who provide homestay accommodation, without which there wouldnt be enough accom to go around, especially for people who dont want to camp. So to hear about this scammer Sam is very annoying. And you are right, if he had over booked, he should have let you know, and done everything in his power to find alternative accomm for you, and ofcourse you should have been refunded.
I'll keep my ears to the ground, talk to other locals who might be able to identify him and hope this scammer gets caught and suitably charged.
sorry you have such a bad experience...hope your next time is better
I guess it would help if people post their feedback from their accommodation this year, as the forum still holds last years posts, so next year people can see posts from people who had a genuinely good experience, or otherwise