Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bluesfest 2011 - The good, the bad and the ugly Options
shadowfax1007
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:43:00 AM
Groups: Member

Thought I'd get in early and get this thread started, mainly because I don't have a Monday ticket and needed something to do.

Good:

The availability of water stations
Toilets (were surprisingly clean)
Pizza Loca
The new festival layout
The diversity of acts.
Lovely volunteers.

Bad:

No big screens at Crossroads (aside from the very front)
Nasty security (one ripped the entry band off a friends fathers wrist and accused him of not owning a ticket, even though he did)
Double standards (witnessed many staff not following the rules Bluesfest set themselves, such as tent smoking)
Audio 'bleed' between stages (was in Crossroads for Eric Bibb and the bass from Mojo was flooding our tent)
Mud/Swamps near toilets and atms (some gravel or bark would have helped)

Ugly:
CHAIRS!!! (bloody hell. set up a chair only section. When you're 3 rows from the front of stage and there are camp chairs to avoid, something is clearly wrong! - disgusting that people can be so selfish)
Band clashes (Jethro Tull/Dylan, Ben Harper/ZZ Top etc)
Lack of security in tents (shit went down in Cat Empire and a bunch of us were left to sort it out ourselves as no security was around)

Obviously the festival isn't over, so I'll add/change this list when it is.
Biggest issue that needs to be addressed is chairs though.

Thoughts?
waffles
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 10:10:45 AM

in crossroads it has been addressed.lines were marked on saturday and chairs had to stay in that area.
where do you put the screen in crossroads?half way back would be only good for the back of the tent,who could see the main screens anyway. outside would be good-more people couldsee from ouside.
i was in crossroads all sat and sun and didnt notice bleed to bad.
hardly saw security after dark. kidswere climbing up the back of the grandstand in crossroads.dont know why.they didnt watch the bands anyway-just talked.most of the security i met were polite and friendly.
if you didnt have big acts on at the same time,you would have giant crowds in 1 tent.crowd in crossroads for ash grunwalk was crazy for 2pm.
maybe next year bluesfest should ask ticketholders who/when they would like bands on-in the 5 tents.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
katieforfree
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 3:09:32 PM

The problem in Crossroads Fri was only becase of BB. I belive it Dylan will be another challenge so I've gone male with no chair no handbag and no hat. Paired down to the bone.
melstar
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 7:24:51 PM

It was pretty dissapointing to set up in a safe place with kids n camping chairs to be told to move shortly before Blind Boys of Alabama - with no where to move to. We went in at 11am specially to get good seats for BB King. Security in the camp grounds was better this year but still didnt see any after midnight to deal with drunk idiots annoying other campers
ScottM
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 7:28:42 PM

The Good - that the thread name I started a few years back and have posted each year has been kept alive and well. Cheers.
melstar
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 7:29:01 PM

Definately need a chairs only section. I feel for the people who just want to stand having to deal with the chairs, but also people with kids or elderly should have somewhere to sit when you cant stand for hours. Also designated paths for people to get out. Didnt see any security in the crowd
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:44:59 PM

The good - Paul Kelly with Vika and Linda

The bad - Lack of close-up video footage during Bob Dylan's set on Tuesday. We walked out after two songs and enjoyed Grace Jones instead

The ugly - No wood chip surfaces for Tuesday's mud fest

charliebear
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:54:13 PM

good - a 6 day bluesfest! bring it in permanently! the mud and tuesday =) lol jumping thru puddles was fun

Bad - ben harper! a huge fan but he must've been having a bad night. the burnt animal carcus smell from that kabab stall

ugly - the drunk 60 yr old man who was chatting me up ( your meant to ask before you touch someones tits!)

I eat veggies, i eat veggies, they taste good! =)
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:45:28 PM

MMMM Burnt animal carcase smell

MMMM Kebab Stall

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:54:32 PM

re 6day festival.
i think the next time anzac day falls on easter monday is 2085.cant wait!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:15:47 PM

Remember I told of the extra day this year FIRST !!
Well I'll do it again
2032 Anzac Day and Easter Sunday falls on April 25th
Book accommodation NOW

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
mpember
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:54:46 PM

shadowfax1007 wrote:

Good:

I actually thought the complete opposite. The limit in the number of water taps appears to have been done to force people to pay for tap water at the "water stations".
Marie5
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:27:04 AM

The Good

Yodelice - the fantastic french band
Wagons
Raul Malo - the whole tent was dancing
Bobby Long (young english guy)
Secret Sisters (just great harmonies)
Trombone Shorty
Hussy Hicks
Ray Beadle
Fishbone - wow
Gurrumul - just a magical set in mojo
Saltwater Band
BB & blues Shack
Jethro Tull - great blast from the past
Peter Rowan Bluegrass - the T Partee song
Michael Franti
Dale Watson (could have been listening to johnny cash)

sorting out the chair fiasco on sat/sun/mon - good work peter noble & crew

The Bad

Nga Tae what the ?????
Chairs on Thursday/Friday
No Yodelice cds for sale

missing out on Leon Russell (now thats really bad)

The Ugly
rednecks who laughed & walked out when Gurrumul sarted

all in all a wonderful bluesfest . thank you

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music...........
realto
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:36:41 PM

I agree with Marie5's good or those of it I saw). I'd add Toots & the Maytals, Eric Ranglin, Ruthie Foster (wattavoice), Irma Thomas, Dylan, Costello, Mavis Staples, Melbourne Ska Orchestra, Kate Miller-Heidke.
Biggest disappointment for me was BB King - once great, now just a sad shadow. At least I saw him again, because it looks like his health won't hold out long. Grace Jones was 30 minutes late, the only act I saw to do that - diva stuff? Her act is great but it's costumes, lights, theatre and chutzpah more than music.
CharlieBear - knee to the groin of any drunks who paw you. Don't wear it.
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 5:01:22 PM

Good
Sound system
Mixing (generally)
Sound bleed (well, not great, but better than other years)

Got better
Waited 45 mins to get on the bus on Thu afternoon. It was a ominous sign, but busing was as smooth as a baby's after that.
Marking out areas for chairs. Yay.
Banning chairs from the grandstand. Yay.

Not so good
Mud. Stinky mud.
Free water for self-filling of plastic bottles - was there some? If so, where?

Improvements desired
The aisles on the grandstand need to have a word or two painted on them. People are not looking up at the sign at the top of the aisle when they're looking down for a place to park their bum.

Need to decide if the primary purpose of the grandstand is for seating or for vantage point. If it is seating (as I think it should), then need two rules:
1. No chairs on grandstand.
2. No standing on grandstand. There is no point in having seating if people are not sitting. No-one is resting their legs by standing.

Mud. Improvement would be welcome but it seems to me that it is a flat swampy area and that we should assume that there will always be mud and plenty of it. I think it is a poor site in this respect but obviously it is the permanent site and we have to accept mud or not attend. It is a significant disincentive for me but it also happens at some other major festivals around the world (not ones I have attended). So if I come again, boots will be required.

Bob
RaucousReg
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 5:48:41 PM

mpember wrote:
shadowfax1007 wrote:

Good:

I actually thought the complete opposite. The limit in the number of water taps appears to have been done to force people to pay for tap water at the "water stations".

Didn't attend this year but. as always, provision of free water is a condition under the NSW Licensing Act

namaste
RR
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 5:51:53 PM

Your absence ....plus daughter was noted.

That familar head scarf will not now be able to be used in Bluesfest Forum Photo Shots.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
swoody72
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:18:52 PM

Good: THE LINEUP - what a cracker!
Bad: Chair Rage - let's keep inside the white lines and be nice to each other. I loved having a chair for the first time in 14 years. So did my mate who had sciatica.
Ugly: Pushy bitches trying to climb over us during Bob Dylan.
mgwfall
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 2:11:24 AM

The Good

Warren Haynes
Derek Trucks
Trombone Shorty
Robert Randolph
Tony Joe White
Yodelice (stumbledupon highlight)
Bobby Long
Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band (wandered in for a song & stayed for the rest of the set)
Minnie Marks (the winner of the busking comp)
Mojo Bluesmen
A French Butler Called Smith
Hussy Hicks, great voices, have a blast on stage.
Kate Miller-Heidke, loved the new song "Southern Cross Tattoo"....very brave woman
Jeff Lang
Little Feat, voices a bit weak but some excellent guitar jams, the acoustic "A Church Falling Down" (guess at song title) special mention
Nat Cole & The Kings, some nice guitar work to start things off.
Alex Lloyd/The Mad Bastards Hallelujah
The weather (didn't go Tuesday). Even so good, the one bit of significant rain had me waiting it out in The Juke Joint & that's how I got to hear Hallelujah
Sound much improved, especially if up front, finally extra speakers so you got to hear the sound mix from the speakers & not the sound from the guitar amps on stage.
I thought sound bleed minimal.
More people in earlier, so better crowds for the early afternoon acts.

The Bad

Ray Beadle bought along an organ player
Wagons & The Snowdroppers, I know they both do theatrical shows, but heading towards too much theatre & not enough music.
Snowdroppers in Apra.....too small a tent
Michelle Shocked, no idea about her music, gave up after 10mins when she was still talking & went to see Hank play his guitar instead.
Bass too high in Jambalaya for some sets
Professional photographers, can I suggest a slight change, 3 songs or first song break 10mins or longer (Robert Randolph, photographers still in there 20-25 mins of a 1hr set) many, well done with taking photographs, just hanging around for the music (can't blame them on that) & for them, definately ban hats.
The extra camera on a tripod in front of stage that appeared with Mavis's first set. A hand held on a tripod, not looking through the viewfinder so especially high & sometimes 2 guys standing on the platform. Who's in charge of these guys, they seem completely unconcerned that they may be blocking people's view.
The "lone clapper". Pleased you're really enjoying yourself, but does it occur to you (maybe it does & you don't care) how annoying that can be to the people around you. Does not enhance the listening experience of a great guitar solo!!

The Ugly

Bod Dylan
Hats.....come on guys, think about the shorties behind you, trying to view the stage looking over shoulders, between heads. They increase your "headprint" massively, please take them off.
Chairs. Permanent site, maybe Bluesfest need to build seating so no need for them inside the tents. What do other festivals do?
Carpark exit, only day I stayed until the end, took an hour to get out. Not fair on the artists on last, that the tents empty because people don't wont to take forever to get back to where thay are staying.

The Extemely ugly

Bluesfest admin failure to communicate with the paying public the unique arrangements for Bob Dylan's set
madphil
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 9:34:53 AM

The Good

YODELICE this french band stole the show amazing but what no CD's for sale ....thats Crazy!
Jethro Tull excellent performance and great atmosphere in the crossroads tent!
A French Butler called Smith Great entertainment well done!
Friendly event staff

The Bad
No Big screen outside the crossroads like mojo had???? Tell me why?????
Jethro Tull/Bob Dylan same time not a good idea, although sure Jethro Tull stole that one to!!!
Chairs seriously need to be organised better causing to much of a problem in tents!

THE UGLY.........
Silly drunk young people who ruin the show by constantly yelling in your ear, pushing past and do not even listen to the music, why bother???