Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

BB last night Options
comanche
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:28:11 AM
Groups: Guest

Well I got right up the front-middle. Took some serious standing time, but I did it!

Watching BB play was killing me. To see him like that was breaking my heart. You could sense the tension in his band members, but they supported the great man well.

So glad I got to see him though. Still got that voice, and Lucille sounded great.

The crowd loved him.
charliebear
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:52:20 PM
Groups: Member

I thought we was great but have never seen him before so I had nothing to compare him to :)

I eat veggies, i eat veggies, they taste good! =)
matonguitar
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:48:23 PM

What do you mean man by killing you?

Im missing out on BB but Im seein Bobby. Is BB alright?
comanche
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 8:44:04 AM

matonguitar wrote:
What do you mean man by killing you?

Im missing out on BB but Im seein Bobby. Is BB alright?

No, he's not OK. He was frail - barely able to throw a pick (literally). Couldn't string a solo together and regularly missed notes. On a few occasions he totally played out of tune and had to stop playing and cancel the song.

Two band members came and sat with him. Not sure if this was part of the act, or just a show of moral support, but BB seemed to appreciate it. The more he tried to play guitar, the less confident he became.

It was sad to see such a great guitarist like this.
It was great to see him overall though.
pentatonic
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:33:03 AM

Perhaps a diabetic brain / sugar meltdown?
djlean
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:51:24 PM

Friday was the third time I had seen BB King (Gold Coast circa 1991 and Galveston, Texas 2003). Age, diabetes and arthritis have taken their toll on his playing, but when you have been listening to BB King for last 40 years it is more about paying respect to some one who has given so much to you over the years. I am glad I was able see again.
Thomas351
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:49:47 PM

djlean wrote:
Friday was the third time I had seen BB King (Gold Coast circa 1991 and Galveston, Texas 2003). Age, diabetes and arthritis have taken their toll on his playing, but when you have been listening to BB King for last 40 years it is more about paying respect to some one who has given so much to you over the years. I am glad I was able see again.

I think you said it perfectly - RESPECT -
We should remember that BB is in his 80s and cant be expected to perform like he did many years ago.
It was a great show & we should feel lucky to have seen the great BB KIng.
nmackey
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:53:34 PM

^^^ This ^^^

Im suprised I even got a chance to see him at all before you-know-what.

The .. man ... is ... 85!!!!!! (I think). All I can say is that BB's face was a like a beacon of light that night he IS the Blues incarnate ... and people are criticising his guitar playing WTF!?!
tezmosis
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:54:40 AM

If he's not up to it he should hang up his pick. Better to never see a legend than see him STINK the place up.
nickfromsydney
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 1:15:29 AM

I'd never had the chance to see the man live until now so I'm glad he hasn't hung up his pick yet.

I wasn't expecting much at all in terms of performing... I knew he wouldn't be up to it.

But I was absolutely stoked to have seen him live.

It was more about paying homage to a great man rather than expecting him to play anything. I didn't give a toss - he could've sat there and done sfa and I still would've been stoked.

realto
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:45:19 PM

I was lucky enough to avoid the crush and see BB from the wings. I knew BB would be frail but I was shocked at how frail. Seriously, he is past the point of delivering professional performance, and should retire. I was lucky enough to see him in full voice and guitar strength in 1973 and I cherish that memory, rather than the bumbling performance on Friday. Don't let the great BB embarrass himself any more.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 1:52:17 PM

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/concerts/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=10721461

Graham Reid and attendees comment on BB King and Ruthie Foster playing Auckland.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Artsy84
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 3:36:11 PM

I was honored to be able to see him. It was great to hear and see him and I seriously did not hear anything that was tragically wrong. I could tell at times he was getting frustrated, but it didn't bother me and it didn't take away from the night.

I got so much respect for him, he can play as long as he wants.