Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Crossroads Options
Always28
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:45:06 AM
Groups: Member

Looks like this tent for the true believers has been turned into an 'all seat' venue!!! WTF

I got there at 12:00 and there were 10 chairs set up right at the barrier taking up the space that 20 people could have stood at. Then the usual...fall asleep during Ruthie and leave the vacant chairs to wander around. By the evening there must have been at least 80% of the tent covered in chairs.

There is no way that tent could have been evacuated if there was a problem. It was almost impossible to get into or out of.

I'm not a whinger but that was both a bit scary and pretty uncaring, place looked like a geriatric ward.
TboneB
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 8:28:36 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. I had exactly the same experience. With more than half the tent full of chairs it made access terrrible, plus it restricted the amount of people you could have fit inside. Several of my friends went elsewhere as they weren't enjoying themselves.

With one side of Crossroads not accessible due to the VIP area, getting in and out was a nightmare.

I saw it lead to several incidents where people got angry with each other, a very unBluesfest experience.

During the Blinds Boys we saw several people asleep in chairs, and other sitters complain that they couldn't see because people were, heaven forbid, standing up and blocking their view.

And during Rodrigo y Gabriela, a lady who was trying to exit hurt herself when she trip over an vacant chair and instead of apologising, its owner had a go at her. It sourred the night for me I went home feeling dissapointed.

A solution would be to provide a designated seating area behind the sound stage from 7pm onwards. Most sittters spent the night staring at somebody's backside anyway, so restricted viewing shouldn't concern them too much.
richo
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:23:36 AM

I'd say lose the chairs completely after 6pm. It's the worst it's ever been and whereas previously I was happy to suggest allowing them behind the sound desk only etc., I think with these sold out crowds that even that's not good enough.

Pure and simple it's incredibly unsafe and just plain unfair to allow these folks free reign of the tents.
beachshack
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:52:16 AM

As a long time 'true believer' I have to say that even though I take a chair and sit in the Crossroads at times, I always take the chair out around 5 or 6 and think Richo suggestion is a good one.
Last night during Los Lobos was the first time I have ever seen the VIBE turn nasty. Not only where the young uns who ram their way through regardless of who they run into including sleeping children on the ground being far too gun ho but some of the chair sitters were getting in amongst it too.

NOT ENOUGH LIGHTING FOR CHAIRS AFTER DARK IN THE TENTS UNLESS IN DESIGNATED ArEAS COMBINED WITH FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE . MORE LIGHTING NEEDED OUTSIDE TENTS TOO!
omichaelo
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:27:30 AM

ACT now Bluesfest. It's ridiculous! Someone WILL get hurt!
hobbitaurus
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:56:56 AM

I took a photo of the sea of chairs... They filled 70% of the tent, easily. I took the photo from the back because I thought it was hilarious, although fairly annoying.

And a lot of people use them as placeholders while they go and do something else. Oh well.
wisemantel
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:50:03 PM

VERY DISAPPOINTED Crossroads experience. Shame on the bluesfest organisers -where were the big screens for all inside & out to see/enjoy the performers???? In this day of technology & the $$$$s that people pay for tickets, it could have been a whole lot better & enjoyable for all. The stage was way too low for those 90% of the crowd who couldn't accesss the front section. Mojo was the best venue, but who we would have liked to have seen were in Crossroads. Disappointed :(
BluesonlyBlues
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:09:52 PM

Have to put in my tuppence worth. Went and sat on the "seating" area along the side for Eric Bibb. Couldn't see because they had chairs on the seating and no-one behind could see a thing either. Asked a woman to take off her hat as she sat above everyone else and got an earful for my comments. During Eric's set more than half the chairs were empty which meant no-else could sit in the seating area. Grrrr

And while I'm on a roll. Couldnt get near inside the tent for BB King and was stuck with a group of yelling screaming drunk teens outside and it was hard to hear. Asked them to move away if they didn't want to listen. Apparently at 55 years of age I'm a motherf....... whore. I was told "this is what you do at festivals". What, get pissed and rowdy and spoil it for everyone else!! Maybe I'm just a grumpy old woman but I go to listen to the music.
comanche
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:57:40 AM
Groups: Guest

Yep, agree on the chairs being a safety issue.

On the way out from BB, there was a collapsed chair that was just lying on the ground. It was dark, and the chair was black - you couldn't see it! Tripped up a few people.

If the tent needed to be evacuated quickly, the chairs would cause people to get hurt for sure.
beachshack
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:08:01 AM

Must say that Saturday in the Crossroads tent was a much better experience for all. The chairsitters were asked to sit further back behind a 'white line' LOL that was 'reasonably effective during daylight hours anyway and a very pleasant hard working Somalian? Security man asked anyone in front to kindly move back for the safety of others. As a 55 year old sometimes chairsitter I have to say the vibe was much better.
Don't think they should have had BB in the Crossroads,far too many people wanting to see the legend one last time. He should have been in the Mojo as a previous poster said. Now Bob in the Mojo tomorrow , imagine the crowds..............
waffles
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:08:46 AM

ok -sat. chair setup was a great improvement. make a line and inside that for chairs-i thought it worked well. keep access way clear in the grandstand worked well.great to see bluesfest making the effort.

that said sat. was one of the best days ive had in 22 bluesfests. a big day in crossroads. i go for the music and yesterday got my fill.

wagons-a great start to the day,love henrys wit.
dale watson-not a big country fan but love his truck driving,pick up,deisel-pumping songs-reminded me of commander cody.
little feat-still got it.
mavis staples -a great set from a great woman. happy for her after being crook last time around.a lot of her songs are on her new cd.
trombone shorty-funked it up in style.
robert randolph-im a big rr fan-didnt dissapoint. JIMI LIVES. just how big afamily does rr have-so many cousins.
tedeschi-trucks -while derek is the incredible guitarist,susan has the voice,plays a great guitar and looks good.midnight in harlem makes me melt.
franti-not a big fan but my sons love him.
melbourne ska-finish it off with a bit of dancing from a big sound.sond has been good in jambayla.
film crew did a great job with tedeschi -trucks. a big screen half way back would help-or maybe outside,a lot of people sat outside the tent.
lastly-punters dont turn up late for a set and expect the seas to part for you.check your program and get there early.
ps the festival vibe was fantastic-lantern parade-floating animals etc ya gotta love bluesfest.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Always28
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:39:51 AM

Thanks for giving us back the tent BF, the security guys handled the job with class and good humour, as Waffles said what a huge night at the Crossroads
zyfert
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:46:29 PM

waffles wrote:
that said sat. was one of the best days ive had in 22 bluesfests. a big day in crossroads. i go for the music and yesterday got my fill.

tedeschi-trucks -while derek is the incredible guitarist,susan has the voice,plays a great guitar and looks good.midnight in harlem makes me melt.

Have a look at my site Waffles.

Z.
waffles
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:25:59 AM

zyf, got a link, where do i find it?

zyfert
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 10:11:33 AM

Click on the www at the bottom of my post
waffles
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 10:28:53 AM

thanks got it. i dont know what zoom youve got,but i wouldve ginen you my seat in the stands for a clip of THAT song. good stuff.

fordy40
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 10:46:58 AM

The chair issue should have been sorted out before the event not on the run -The change of rules on Saturday nite was ham-fisted, rude and very wrong. People who had been sitting in place for the day lost their position by being sent to the back. Now it's worse. Moved to the back to sit people abandon their chair for a better view making less room. Not to be able to sit on a tripod chair between sets is stupid and cruel to us older folk- there is no reason for it. You can sit on an esky or a blanket and leave it there for people to trip on. Allow tripod chairs, get em to stand up 10 minutes before the set, Everyone happy. The festival is a great celebration of live music and it should be accessible to everyone with clear reasonable rules
melstar
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:47:17 PM

good call fordy40. If they want this to be an event that appeals to families and people of all ages they need to allow chairs and have CLEAR guides to the set up of them. Make it fair for everyone.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:58:48 AM

i thought the sunday idea of chairs on the 2 tops rows of the crossroads grandstand only a good idea,but to not allow any on monday a bit too much. did any look into the stands top rows monday,hardly any one there .
solution-this may seem too much for some but...
mark lines 1 metre apart along the top 2 rows,number them,sell seat tickets for each section for each day at say $20 a day. i reckon you can fit 40 seats per row per grandstand. thats 160 sections.
being some one who cant stand for 12 hours each day for 5 days-and im always there early-i would be willing to pay the extra. then if you want to go to another tent,you have a seat to come back to,or let someone else
sit in your seat for the set or the day. radical maybe but at least a solution worth trying. bluesfest make a few more bucks and those who want a seat buy one. i know i had the shits with people who put 6 chairs in a row
in the grandstand next to me,and i never saw them for 2 HOURS.
i am a great supporter of bluesfest-seen all 22-and love my music,and cant see why i shoulnt go on enjoying it as i get.....look out here it comes...older.

jepthedog
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:10:16 AM

What I really don't get is people with chairs sitting in the stands with their chair give it up for people who want to sit on their bum