Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Syl Johnson Options
repete
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 8:31:51 AM
Groups: Member

What an amazing, sold out gig last night at the Corner...they were hanging from the rafters and hundreds were turned away. Soul, funk, r 'n b and some blistering blues. Took it out with an extended version of his huge hit, Take Me to the River, featuring some brilliant, emotional harp playing. An hour and 40 minutes for a 72yo man...phew!! and not a still body in the place! This guy has done it all and played with some of the greats. The Bamboos of course were just brilliant, and it was the first time I've ever seen them play a mean stripped down blues sans brass! They are the tightest, funkiest unit playing right now. Fair dinkum, and it's only my opinion, but they're better than the Dap Kings. See them at fest and make up your own mind.

I was also tickled when I arrived to a funked out brass band and a second line happening on the dance floor!! And they were kids too! Music is in good hands when the kids are playing brass band stuff and the enthusiastic audience is young. Time to bring out a nyawlins brass band to fest Peter - lead a second line into Crossroads and then let the place erupt - the young'uns love it!

BTW, for soul and funk enthusiasts in Melbourne, the great Betty Harris will be at the Corner with the Bamboos on April 18. Which begs the question, is she on the bill for Byron?

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Sharleen7
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 9:35:59 AM

Thanks for that revue, Pete - If I'd been anywhere near Melbourne, you'd have seen me there! What a sweet and sexy gig for Valentine's Day! Did Syl sing "Back for a Taste of Your Love"?

As it was, we made do with gypsy jazz & flamenco at the Brisbane Jazz Club for our romantic outing this weekend - the music was sweet and the venue is charming, right on the river underneath the Story Bridge. So not too bad, but certainly not as exciting as Syl & the 'boos would have been!

Speaking of classic gigs for Valentine's Day, here's another one (this one's in New Orleans) that piqued my interest:

Quote:
We at Twangorama Inc., ever mindful of the needs of others, have conjured up an evening of Romantic Proportion heretofore unparalleled in Human History. By dint of MONTHS of intense effort we have assembled enough material from the Barry White songbook to provide a marathon Valentine’s Night performance that will have your significant other/date/tag-along DRIPPING with desire! No need for corny Hallmark pre-fab notions of undying love, or heart-shaped packages full of (high fructose corn syrup-laden) toxi-chocolate lumps…simply ATTEND our “Barry White, King Of All That Is Love” tribute performance and your work is done! Then RUSH to the nearest comfortable horizontal surface and REAP THE REWARDS!!!
The management at Carrollton Station has prepared on-site conjugal accommodations for the first ten couples who arrive at or before 10pm on Saturday, February 14, available after performance only. PLEASE!!! Difficult as it may be (especially during the finale, “Can’t Get Enough Of your Love, Babe”), we must insist there be NO lewd and lascivious interactions during the show.

I don’t know if I believe Twangorama will actually do Barry White, but if they do, wouldn’t you want to be there to see it?

EXCESS in Moderation
greybeard
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 12:17:22 PM

MELBOURNE moves to WEST COAST
Looking for Betty Harris dates I notice this interesting show
Chill City
John Butler Trio, Paul Kelly, Betty Harris (USA) with The Bamboos, Ben Kweller (USA), Easy Star All Stars (USA), Dan Sultan, Whitely, Mamie Minch (USA) @ Alexandra Gardens
10 Apr 2009 $89.0 plus B/F http://chillcity.com.au/
trouble is it contradicts a previous announcement
Quote:
Music fans - take note!
In addition to the exclusive Ben Harper shows, Bluesfest 2009 will host the only concert performances on the East Coast for John Butler Trio, Missy Higgins, and Michael Franti & Spearhead. John Butler Trio and Missy Higgins will play their first Australian shows in 12 months, and this appearance will be John Butler Trio's only East Coast show in 2009 prior to recording a new studio album.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
repete
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:58:44 PM

Sharleen7 wrote:
Thanks for that revue, Pete - If I'd been anywhere near Melbourne, you'd have seen me there! What a sweet and sexy gig for Valentine's Day! Did Syl sing "Back for a Taste of Your Love"?

As it was, we made do with gypsy jazz & flamenco at the Brisbane Jazz Club for our romantic outing this weekend - the music was sweet and the venue is charming, right on the river underneath the Story Bridge. So not too bad, but certainly not as exciting as Syl & the 'boos would have been!

Hehehehe...'twas hardly a V-Day gig!! And yes, he did play Back for a Taste of Your Love as well as Is It Because I'm Black amongst a heap of others. BTW, I love flamenco (and Portuguese fado).

Hangin' out on Frenchmen