What are you listening to???? Options
bmrider53
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2009 9:31:34 AM
Groups: Member

HowlinBindog wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Jon Cleary LIVE at the Boatshed

Well not now, but last night, just three blocks down the hill

Well, how about a review Reg. He's touring solo. What was the show like? What type of material etc etc etc??

I'm richard and saw Jon at Lake Macquarie earlier this week - was very impressed, didn't need any one with him - very different to his CD's (all with his band) and I don't think I could listen to him solo on CD. But, as a live perfomance, he was brilliant and gave great value for money. I am sure the audience (many of whom probably have never heard of him) were very surprised with his talent (playing and singing). Was great to see his musicianship in a small intimate setting.
If you get a chance, make sure you see him.

Have been listening to his cd "mo hippa", live set from Jon and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen, very often - wide range of styles.
Creeper69
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:49:06 AM

Right now, listening to SRV, Sky Is Crying..soon to be followed by Allman Bro's live, Loan me a dime..good stuff!
HowlinBindog
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 11:11:37 AM
Groups: Guest

Saw Jon Cleary last night

Great show
youngbill
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 12:45:51 PM

Ditto Bindog, I saw Jon in Newcastle last week, great stuff.
littlewillie
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 2:59:28 PM

The Smokestack Orchestra - very riffy and well complimented by Scarecrow Wallace's gravelly voice.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:20:00 PM

jeff beck live at ronnie scotts.
great live recording,16 tracks of his best .an amazing array of moods.great band.
cant wait for the 29th in brisbane-row10.
ive been waiting 40 years,truly.one of my first singles was hiho the silver lining in 1967.
b side was the better side -becks bolero.then 1968 came TRUTH.
on this cd is also taj wilkenfeld,the amazing young aussie female bass player.
this guy is truly a legend.
2 weeks and counting.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:09:16 AM

The Santa Fe All Stars

EP

http://www.joewestmusic.com/allstars.php
A high powered Bluegrass, country-punk quartet.

1 Handsome Molly
2 Billy in the Lowground
3 Tara's Song
4 Jockey Full of Bourbon
5 Omaha
6 Trip to Roswell, New Mexico
7 Walker
http://www.myspace.com/santafeallstars

What began as a "why not" proposal by a beer-hall waitress has gone on to become something of a small-town supergroup. The Santa Fe All-Stars consist of roots luminaries Joe West, Sharon Gilchrist, Ben Wright and Susan Holmes, all brilliant on their own-at least according to the locals of New Mexico's capital city.West, of course, has long been the slightly askew alt.country king of Santa Fe, a songwriter as smart and talented as they come and completely fearless when it comes to either campy parody or straight-up emotion. Gilchrist (from the Peter Rowan & Tony Rice Quartet) continues to enchant audiences with her glorious musicianship and lovely countenance; Wright, a man just as comfortable ripping through a weird rock set as fingerpicking through an old standard, is as indispensable as they come, and Holmes has been a rhythm section stalwart for years. Collectively they are a can't-lose proposition. Their type of roots music- smart, fun, a little twisted-is the soundtrack to Santa Fe.

Allstar's Bio

Ben Wright, an active and exuberant musician since the age of 6, grew up in a small suburb of New York City. He began studying guitar with his father (professional finger style guitarist Edward Wright) at age 12 after six years of cello study. He played in numerous bands and ensembles throughout high school and college and in 2001 graduated from the Colorado College with a BA in music. While attending CC he performed and toured with the Balinese gamelan, Tunjung Sari, and the illustrious Bowed Piano Ensemble led by Stephen Scott. After graduating, Ben headed for Santa Fe, NM where he quickly found himself too busy making music to hold down a day job. He formed the bluegrass group Mary and Mars in 2002 with band mates Sharon Gilchrist and Josh Martin and, within the year, they were touring nationally. After Mary and Mars parted ways in 2004 Ben began delving into the world of live electronic music, building compositions out of improvisations sampled and looped in real-time. He now performs and tours w/ local alt country legend, Joe West; experimental electronic rockers, D Numbers, and most recently with global jazz groovers, BING.

Since moving to Santa Fe in 1994 Susan Hyde Holmes has become a rhythm section mainstay. For years she played bass for folk icons Bill and Bonnie Hearne and later the Bill Hearne Trio, traveling to Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Arizona, Utah and Nevada, often opening for artists such as Steve Earle, Nancy Griffith and Lyle Lovett. Susan produced and played on Bill Hearne's 2004 solo release "From Santa Fe to Las Cruces," now in its third printing. Currently, Susan is happy playing in several groups: with the soulful singer/songwriter Boris McCutcheon as part of his fine band the Saltlicks, also the somewhat- surfy, all-instrumental band Milo de Venus, and, most recently, a delightful foray into jazz and swing in an as-ofyet unnamed combo with guitarists Lewis Winn and George Langston and drummer Ryan Anthony. Something of a songwriter, back in her home town of Lawrence, Kansas, Susan has twice been a finalist in the Kaw Valley Songwriters' Competition. But in New Mexico, it was her Milo de Venus composition "Little Big Hair" that took honors as Best Musical Production in the Punk category at the 2004 New Mexico Music Awards.

Through the early '90s Joe West performed music and theater in New York City in Off-Off Broadway companies and as a regular street performer and folk-club troubadour. In 1997 Joe moved to Austin, Texas where he formed the bizarre Alt-Country band Joe West And The Sinners, often sharing the stage with such Texas legends as Jon Dee Graham, Dale Watson, and Wayne "The Train" Hancock. In 1999 Joe's first self-release "Jamie Was a Boozer" was voted as one of the "Top-Ten Texas Platters" by the Austin Chronicle's prestigious Critic's Poll and Joe was voted one of the "Top Male Vocalists" by the Chronicle's Reader's Poll. In 2001 Joe returned to his hometown of Santa Fe, New Mexico where he became a local mainstay, holding a weekly residency at the notorious Cowgirl Hall of Fame. In 2002 Joe signed on with with Frogville Records, an independent label focused on the fringes of alternative country music. Frogville supported the recording of his last two CDs; "South Dakota Hairdo" and "The Human Cannonball", both receiving marvelous reviews and charting the Top 5 on both the Freeform Americana Radio Chart and the Euro- Americana Radio Chart. Since then, Joe has toured extensively in the United States and Europe, sharing the stage with an eclectic list of artists such as Sarah Lee Guthrie, Iris DeMent, and the Violent Femmes.

Sharon Gilchrist grew up in Dallas, Texas playing mandolin, upright bass and singing her heart out. Most of her time was spent traveling the country with her big brother Troy in a kid's bluegrass band. From there, she moved to Nashville and studied mandolin at Belmont University. While immersed in Music City USA, Sharon's musical bag of tricks diversified by quantum leaps as she began playing classical music, swing, country and rock, and composing music for a series of performance art pieces, an endeavor she plans to pursue in the future. Sharon then left the bright lights of Nashville for the solitude and serenity of The Land of Enchantment: New Mexico�to explore the world of abstract art and such. Upon her arrival in Santa Fe, things took an unexpected turn when Sharon rediscovered her bluegrass roots. She has since toured with the likes of Mary & Mars (with Santa Fe All-Star bandmate Ben), the Bill Hearne Trio (with Santa Fe All-Star bandmate Susan) and Rounder recording artists Uncle Earl, an all-female oldtimey bluegrass band. Sharon can currently be seen performing with the Peter Rowan and Tony Rice Quartet.

ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:24:23 AM

Any and all Nick Cave for me. With a little Dirty Three for good measure.
repete
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:21:16 PM

Carlton draught...you have a shite taste in beer, and please refrain from your self promotion/free advertising on this particular thread. Most people here are very tolerant and put up with promotion on this board but please limit it to the thread you started elsewhere and don't hijack other threads.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:43:26 PM

Saw Jon Cleary at The Soundlounge at Currumbin on weekend, he was absolutely amazing over an hour of the most fantastic keyboards I've seen in a long time, so I had to revisit Jon and the Absolute Monster Gents "Mo Hippa" live album, brouhgt back memories of their brilliant effort in Crossroads last year!!!!!!! All the best Wazza.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 7:26:43 AM

repete wrote:
Carlton draught...you have a shite taste in beer, and please refrain from your self promotion/free advertising on this particular thread. Most people here are very tolerant and put up with promotion on this board but please limit it to the thread you started elsewhere and don't hijack other threads.

I agree Pete - I remember posting something similar a while ago. CarltonDraught - you have the details in your sig, please keep it to ACTUAL posts. Thanks :-)

And Wazza, love that Mo Hippa disc, plus was lucky enough to be at the Vanguard for the night it was recorded. Very disappointed I was in the wrong part of the country for all Jon's dates over the last 2 weeks. But it's great to see that he's been such a regular visitor for the last couple of years.

As for what I'm listening to, more Nick Cave for now. Haven't got him out of my system
finleym
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:52:35 AM

http://www.widespreadpanic.com/nye2008_teaser.php

Widespread Panic New Years Eve Simulcast. So much joy in their performance this year, the group are not only tight but the songs are moving effortlessly from one idea to the next. Here is a sample - enjoy.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:56:19 AM

Oldie but a goodie, Greetings from LA Tim Buckley, very good listening
1. Move with me
2. Get on top
3. Sweet Surrender
4. Nighthawkin
5. Devil Eyes
6. Hong Kong Bar
7. Make it Right
repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:27:33 PM

Coco Robicheaux - Spiritland. Weird funky swamp voodoo.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:33:47 PM

A couple of free mp3 downloads from
The Agnostic Mountain gospel Choir-Ten Thousand
http://www.theagnostics.com/

The tune Go Back Home has been playing in my head since the first listen.

Go Back Home is a snarling warning cry to the prodigal son. The preacher has lost his way and there's no hope left for you. This band has done their bit on this album to counter a common misbelief about a lack of scope for invention in folk music.
HowlinBindog
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 10:37:17 PM

Sol "Volume-Blue"

Sol Creech is the bass player from the Musicmaker Foundation, the rock solid young guy under the black cap who happens to be quite the mixmaster as well as a great band leader/guitar player in his own right

On this album he's utilized samples from the foundations library of field recordings and created a really cool blues hip hop blend

Samples from Guitar Gabriel, Cootie Stark, Cool Jon Ferguson and Robert Belfour amongst others

I dig it

http://musicmakerstore.stores.yahoo.net/solvolblue.html
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:22:54 AM

After a trip up your mighty Murray River by houseboat and a day in Melbourne on the way back, Basement Discs relieved me off a few dollars...............................

Cedric Burnside & Lightin' Malcolm.........2 Man Wrecking Crew
Shane Nicholson.......................................Familar Ghosts
C W Stoneking....................................Jungle Blues
Mark Olson & Gary Louris.....................Ready for the Flood

ANY OF THESE WELCOME ON THE NEXT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

All excellent albums.....must be too good....my house was shut down by the sound police again last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serani
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 3:35:19 AM

Nurse on nightshift: Dan Sultan...Door is still open to my heart on youtube...
any idea when he is playing at Bluesfest?
greybeard
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 4:41:57 AM

Dan's website says
Quote:
11-Apr 2009
East Coast Blues and Roots Festival Byron Bay
The band plays twice over the Easter Weekend playing times to be announced soon.

Expect dates to be included in Email Jan 30th.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
finleym
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 7:13:04 PM

Ribs and Whiskey is also the name of the stall I would most like to see this year.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=tsn9G79CqyY&feature=channel

This one has the accompaniment of the talented and beautiful Ann Marie Calhoun. 66000 you-tubers can't be wrong.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=g_fwgkpghtM&feature=channel

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans