Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Tull vs Dylan Options
gregim
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 5:00:40 PM
Groups: Member

Really not too happy with the Bob Dylan/Jethro Tull clash, this is rather poor planning and could have been better thought out and organised.
drwildare
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 5:05:46 PM

gregim wrote:
Really not too happy with the Bob Dylan/Jethro Tull clash, this is rather poor planning and could have been better thought out and organised.

I love the clash hopefully it will mean that there will be fewer in Crossroads. I wouldnt have seen Dylan anyway

The Dr is in the House
noosa_blue150
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 6:40:18 PM

Yes Im not happy either -jethro tull was the first os band I saw as a teenager and I was going to do a trip down memory lane ...........i figure Ill have to split my time between both tents now !!!!!!!!!!!!
bbbbirdman
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 11:03:44 PM

Hard call for double header of legends.
Where's Grace Jones when you really need her?

http://www.guitar-muse.com/trigger-willie-nelson-martin-n-20-1905
http://www.bowneckslide.com/
Pequena
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:11:11 AM

Totally agree! What a disappointment to see that the Dylan & Tull were scheduled to play at the same time! Talk about bad organising!! Couldn't one of them have been scheduled for the Saturday night? No major names playing at all that night. It'll be Tull for us as luckily we have seen Bob before - still a real shame to have to miss seeing him again though.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:56:47 AM

no major names playing sat.nite eh?he he he. bad organisation eh.
i think a statement like that doesnt deserve a reply. ha ha ha..............

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
renoir1902
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:06:30 PM

waffles wrote:
no major names playing sat.nite eh?he he he. bad organisation eh.
i think a statement like that doesnt deserve a reply. ha ha ha..............
None likely to sell out a stadium show, unlike every other night. Not a knock on the talent on show, but not much 'mainstream' attraction compared to the other nights. Don't go all elitist - yes, it'll be a good chance for new experiences for a lot of people, but for a reasonable interpretation of "major names" the comment doesn't merit your derision.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:54:38 PM
Groups: Administration

perhaps Renny is unaware that John Legend JUST won 3 Grammy's
and is probably one of the best live artists to EVER walk on a Bluesfest stage.....just ask ANYONE under 30 - THEY KNOW.
Bboard admin
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:57:33 PM

yeah john legend a must see...
and i am over 30...

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
dottygranny
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:27:10 PM
Groups: Guest

At first i was excited about the "headline" acts, Bob Dylan, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top etc but having spent the last week researching the artists i am now just as excited about seeing the Snowdroppers, Resin Dogs, Jackson Firebird, as well as the fantastic world renowned John Legend. Its an unbelievable line up, its been so hard to choose who to see, Saturday night especially! What a remarkable event, its my first time, i feel so lucky :-)
repete
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:44:38 PM

dottygranny wrote:
At first i was excited about the "headline" acts, Bob Dylan, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top etc but having spent the last week researching the artists i am now just as excited about seeing the Snowdroppers, Resin Dogs, Jackson Firebird, as well as the fantastic world renowned John Legend. Its an unbelievable line up, its been so hard to choose who to see, Saturday night especially! What a remarkable event, its my first time, i feel so lucky :-)

I just love it when a newbie's excited about their first fest. And what a fest for your first! You're just gonna be knocked out Dotty!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
groover
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:15:09 PM

I have been to all 21 festivals so far and I'm as excited about this one as I was the first, maybe more so! have a great time Dotty i know you will!
reddragon
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:50:14 PM

I was gonna try and do half and half, but have now bought a Tuesday ticket so will see Tull on Monday and Dylan on Tuesday. Also get to catch Warren Haynes again....yes! I hope Gov't Mule can be booked again in the next few years. Saw them at Bluesfest in 2003 and they stopped me in my tracks - amazing band. Thats what I love about Bluesfest, every time you go you discover new artists that you haven't heard of before.

Recent You Tube footage shows Tull are still in good form.
Never really been that into Dylan, not keen on his voice! I like some of his stuff but will still watch him on Monday with an open mind - a great way to end the festival after six days of musical bliss.

Have a great time everyone.
graham_2u
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:46:39 AM

i saw dylan in the 80's and he sucked....60,000 at the sydney showground in a mudfest....he played a new album and bored us to death, then played 15 min of classics....2 late bob!!!

ballina years ago he sucked again....turned every song into a country and western riff....couldnt help showing his own boredom...wot the???

bring on tull!!!!
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:06:48 PM

graham_2u wrote:
i saw dylan in the 80's and he sucked....60,000 at the sydney showground in a mudfest....he played a new album and bored us to death, then played 15 min of classics....2 late bob!!!

I beg to differ- but then I was in the seated section, not in the mud heap with the great unwashed...

namaste
RR
tatiana59
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 7:13:32 PM

this is my first bluesfest.
i have seen dylan in the past and i would really like to see jethro tull.
the friends back home are waiting for Bob reviews.
and apparently Bob was good in Melbourne on the last 2 nights.

decisions, decisions, decisions

cheers....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:57:43 AM

Jethro Tull's set exceeded my expectations.

After watching them on You Tube,I was a little hesitant in regard to Ian Anderson's voice detracting from a concert.

On the night,I was totally satisfied to be in a tent with some personal space,and to have an excellent demonstration of instrumentation bring back memories of close to 40 years ago.

I greatly enjoyed hearing "A new day yesterday" and "Bouree."

Ian Anderson used his voice wisely,and as always,gave us a superb display on the flute.

Unlike the Dylan concert,I would not expect to hear any dissatisfaction with the Tull gig.

I was very pleased with my choice.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
realto
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:55:13 PM

Missing Tull was a big regret - wish I's had a Tuesday tic - but there was no way I was going to choose them over Dylan, and I'm glad I didn't. I couldn't have lived with the disappointment of being so close and missing him - and his performance exceeded my expectations. Forever young, Bob.
ryangb
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:23:01 PM

In hindsight i should have seen Tull. Perservered with Dylan hoping it would get better
drwildare
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:48:36 AM

Tull was just brilliant it was always a now brainer for me and I am really glad of that clash it meant Crossroads was not overcrowded while all the sheople had gone to Mojo to watch Dylan. The fact of the matter was if you missed Dylan at Bluesfest you would have many many many more chances to see him. If you missed Tull at the fest it was unlikely you would get another chance to see them. Besides the quality of Tulls show did not really deminish with the passing of the years. Dylan's performances on the other hand from all the reviews from the reliable sources for reviews like the New York Times, The LA papers, The Sanfrancisco Chronicle etc get worse as times go on.

The Dr is in the house