Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Neil Young Options
repete
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:49:33 PM
Groups: Member

Plenty of positive comments about 'ol Shakey previously, but just like to say he played a great show in Melbourne last week in the heat. Fantastic versions of Cortez the Killer, Rockin' in the Free World and Words. Also, special mention for a beautiful version of Mother Earth, played on a mini pipe organ. Beautiful, mellow sound - the first time I've ever seen such an instrument on stage. He's rumored to be the last big announcement for jazzfest.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:56:03 PM

i managed to catch him five times in the past couple of weeks and every time he delivered such a stunning, impressive performance. his voice is just as good as it sounds on record from forty years ago and he's definitely one of the world's most underrated guitarists (even if he's scaled his own playing down a little bit lately). great setlist too.

The poster formerly known as Dan
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:59:17 PM
Groups: Guest

I have a mate that went to the melb concert & i shall catch up with him soon & no doubt will hear all about it plus get my t-shirt.
From what iv'e heard it was a hot performance.
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:33:58 AM

Live music is better bumper stickers should be issued

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
Sharleen7
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:29:55 PM

repete wrote:
He's rumored to be the last big announcement for jazzfest.

Right you are, Pete, his name has filled in the TBA spot on Sunday the 3rd.

EXCESS in Moderation
repete
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:05:58 PM

Sharleen7 wrote:
repete wrote:
He's rumored to be the last big announcement for jazzfest.

Right you are, Pete, his name has filled in the TBA spot on Sunday the 3rd.

Yes! Sandwiched between Allen Toussaint and the Nevilles. It goes a long way to making up for the BJ fiasco. Can't wait to see neil Young at jazzfest!!! Shame about Aretha though. I hear that an act to look out for is the Midnite Disturbers (what a great name!) which has a couple of members of Galactic along with some of the best horn players New Orleans has to offer - deep funk. BJ aside, I reckon this is an unbelievable line up!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
richo
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 9:35:03 AM

Amazing show indeed (Brisbane Ent Centre). Totally agree in regards to his voice being as pure as ever, and I was completely blown away by his guitar skills. I know he rocks with the best of them, but had no idea that he takes lead guitar on most stuff. The crowd was older than it would have been otherwise given that many of the younger ones saw him at BDO and I think a lot were expecting a Harvest/CSNY-esque show... I don't think he was expecting such a docile, sitting audience, but from reports it occured at all the arena shows of the tour so I guess he got used to it. I noticed on a NY setlist site that he shortened the sets by about 15 minutes after the Brisbane show so I guess he responded accordingly so that the oldies could get into bed on time.

It was the best show I'd seen in a while... until Leonard Cohen a week or so later, which I'm confident won't be topped on my list for a long, long time.