Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

more blues Options
muddy
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:07:21 PM
Groups: Member

As a ten year vet i have noticed a drop in blues performers... is there anyone out there who feels the same....more blues please
HowlinBindog
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:04:42 PM
Groups: Guest

As a ten yr vet????

lol

Dont ask this 20 yr vet about the drop in blues. Have a look at the archives for the first 10 yrs and try not to cry over what you missed
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:15:56 AM

HowlinBindog wrote:
As a ten yr vet????

lol

Dont ask this 20 yr vet about the drop in blues. Have a look at the archives for the first 10 yrs and try not to cry over what you missed

Speaking of vets i know a couple of vietnam vets(must of been hell careing for sick animals in a war zone)

You have 30 years experience in Veterinary medicine between the both of you surely you could come up with a solution to the k9 sniffer problem at bf 09 rather than trying to impress anyone with how many times you have been to bf.
Perhaps some heavy duty prescription only dog off (as i'm not sure if my bong water spray solution works very well)

curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:43:10 AM

HowlinBindog wrote:
As a ten yr vet????

lol

Hasn't there only been 19 BFs?

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
HowlinBindog
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:51:18 AM

I started preparing for no 1 the year before ;)
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:52:20 AM

How / by stretching your hand backwards and forwards till BF )! at the Piggery??????? All the best Wazza.
jafa99
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:39:58 PM

HowlinBindog wrote:

Has the amount of blues dropped in absolute terms or has the other stuff increased and the blues remained the same but dropped as a percentage of the whole?
HowlinBindog
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 4:01:26 PM

Have a look at the archives back in the early to mid 90's

The lineup's back then were a blues fans dream

The blues percentage has probably dropped from 80-90% to about 40%

Im not criticizing mind you, Im fully understanding of the fest's desire to stay relevant to the festival crowd but I do remember the days

I recall walking into the crossroads at 3pm and seeing Debbie Davies, Chris Wilson, Royal Crown Revue, Candye Kane, Southern Culture On The Skids and maybe more. Not all blues I'll agree but sure had plenty to keep a blues fan happy

The last festival at Belongil before the shift to Red Devil was extraordinary. The Paladins, Little Charlie & The Nightcats, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Lil Fi & The Delta Rhythm Kings, Big Bad Smitty Bondi Cigars, Johnny Grey's Rockinitis. I can remember feeling like I was having a breakdown just trying to decide what to see next

Now, sure maybe my memory is a little shakey but thats how it was in the old days

jackfinn
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 7:20:27 PM

screw the festival goers mate, they have festivals all over the county they can go to, this is something that was started by your generation and it is called blues fest let the festival goers have there fun at the big day out and splender in the grass. i would much rather see some good blues then some panzy singing lovey dovey crap, the more blues the better.
ps and there are plenty of new age blues acts around you just dont see them at festivals...
finleym
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:21:11 PM

Many hours devoted to this on previous threads. The problem is it aint just a blues festival anymore, it is blues and roots, and that second word sure does open up a can of worms.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
bigben
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 8:57:54 AM

Yep I gotta agree, seems very light on blues artists so far.

I am also a bit dissapointed by the number of artists who were at last years fest as well - some more new acts or havent been seen for a few years acts would be good.

Hows about bringing back Juzzie Smith??? Great entertainer!

http://www.myspace.com/juzziesmith

steveakers
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:25:47 AM

There does seem to be a lot of chaff in amongst some good (not just strictly blues)acts this year. I know the argument, it brings the numbers in the gate and pays the bills. Doesn't bother me too much as they will mostly be playing over at Mojo and it will keep the drunken generation Y'ers out of my face, but the quantity of good acts across the spectrum covered by this festival does seem to be down on a few years ago.

Ten years ago you would often have to make some painful choices, if I have to choose between the Blind Boys and Missy, it won't hurt too much.

That being said, I'd hate to see the "big day out for grown-ups" turn in just another big day out.