Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bob Dylan? Never Heard of Him. Options
hipgrave
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:01:28 AM
Groups: Guest

My wife was discussing Bluesfest at the gym, and commented to her personal trainer that she was looking forward to seeing His Bobness again.

The (21yo male) personal trainer asked "Bob Dylan? Never heard of him. Sing me one of his songs"

I don't know which worries me more: that she has a 21yo personal trainer, or that this poor child has had such an inadequate upbringing.

I think the gummermint should do something about at least one of these issues
mpember
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:18:52 AM

Groups: Member

I was talking to someone about having bought tickets to see BB King in Melb before seeing him again in Byron and was asked how long it has been since I last saw him. When I said I had never seen him, they asked why I didn't see him when he last toured. I explained that my age of 30 years sort of made it hard for me to have seen him. Why? Was I too young when he last toured? Some quick maths in my head confirmed that I had not been born when BB last toured Aus. Some may call it a weak excuse but it is the only one I have for missing BB's your in 1955.
richo
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:43:31 PM

B.B. King was out here a few times in the 80s, notably in 1989 with U2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th1kQER770M). Also back in the mid-90s.

Plus who can forget his Maccas ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNI5U0oa5ug
BluesonlyBlues
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 12:04:42 AM

lol hipgrave. Yep, call in child services for their neglect. I've got tickets for Melbourne as well. 6 rows back. So excited. BB twice in one week. :) I had an early 20's youngin' tell me the other day he'd never heard of Billy Thorpe. I should have demanded to admonish his parents for their lack of duty of care.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 2:08:49 AM

It's interesting that this has started happening more and more. Performers that were typically "household names" starting to slip through the cracks. One has to suspect the internet plays its part? Downloading a stack of current music to digest (or not) and discard is easier and more accessible than Mum and Dad's vinyl collection?

In a similar vein, I had someone return a blank stare at the mention of Humphrey Bogart recently. Question is, are attention spans getting so short that the days of the inter-generational legend are dying? It will surely get increasingly difficult to stay in the public's conciousness for as long a time period as the likes of Dylan/BB King etc. Careers aren't necessarily shorter in terms of output, but are increasingly compressed in terms of the time it takes to play out.

Mind you, there is definitely a nostalgia thing going on now (and for the last few years), as evidenced by the volume of high profile "reformations".
waffles
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:32:59 AM

quote-
I had an early 20's youngin' tell me the other day he'd never heard of Billy Thorpe. I should have demanded to admonish his parents for their lack of duty of care.

talk about duty of care-
remember billy having issues with a woman carrying a child in the audience at bluesfest several years ago.the woman asked billy to turn it down. yeah right,as if thorpies gonna turn it down. billy lectured the woman about having a young child in his audience and about the damage that could be done to the childs hearing-then told her to f... off. much to the crowds amusement.

i think that was the last time jack thompson featured at bluesfest-playing harp with billy.
wonder if jack still has 2 wives? an opening for M&M-the swedish girls!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
nwfone
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 4:17:47 PM

Seriously guys, just... stop.

I am only 23, and my music taste is very old fashioned, my fav artists being people like J Tull, Led Zep, Simon and Garfunk, Floyd... and a nice side effect of my taste, is I have heard/listened to basically everyone who was anyone during the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even ones I don't particularly like (Dylan for a topical example, wonderful song writer/poet, his impact on music cannot be understated, but the fact remains he is a horrible singer, the Tull clash is an easy choice for me!)

Most people my age are into the new stuff, so why should they have to know about old artists, not only BEFORE their time, but a completely different genre of music! And they could probably do the same thing and reel off their top 10 favourite bands/musicians, and if you are lucky you would have heard of two, then they will go on their forum and say something like this: "OMG LOL DIS OLD GUY HASSNT HEARD OF FLORENCE AND DA MACHINE LOLLLL OMGGGG!!!111!!!"

In fact I just did a test on myself, and went here http://www.vinylsurrender.com/Music/Decade/2000s.php The top 20 songs of the 2000's, I have never heard of 4 of the artists there (The Shins, Band of Horses, Keane and Elbow... who the f**k are they?).... But I don't care and neither should anyone.

Just appreciate music for music and don't turn it into something it isn't.

Get stoned and play Dark Side, let your silly non issues fade away.....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 5:00:39 PM

I once had a copy of Dark Side Of the Moon but I sold it.

It was too MOR.

If you want to listen to a Pink Floyd Album when your head is somewhere else,the album to listen to is called "Ummagumma."

By theloneranger at 2011-04-08

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
nwfone
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 5:18:21 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I once had a copy of Dark Side Of the Moon but I sold it.

It was too MOR.

If you want to listen to a Pink Floyd Album when your head is somewhere else,the album to listen to is called "Ummagumma."

Ha, how dare you! Ummagamma I am not a huge fan of (and it requires something stronger than weed....). Dark Side (ignoring the cliche) is a fantastic album, as is anything else released in the 70s (Atom Heart, Animals, Wish You Were Here, Clouds, Meddle...) EXCEPT The Wall, which I consider a Roger Waters solo album.

Ummagamma, and indeed Piper are both hit and misses for me. They just did not musically mature until the 70s.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 9:32:45 PM

1974 The big listening year for Ummagumma.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
nwfone
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 10:32:22 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

What?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 10:48:02 PM

By theloneranger at 2011-04-08

And in 1974 this became available again.

repete
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:06:49 PM

My favourite Floyd album has always been Saucerful of Secrets which I think was released in '66.

The Velvets with Nico (the Banana album) was also first released in '66, same year as Highway 61 Revisited....unless my memory is fading. What a year!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
peggysav83
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 12:36:44 AM

Yep not all the young people are this clueless. My sister ,19, is a HUGE Dylan fan. I on the otherhand, think I'm gonna have to see Jethro Tull instead :/

Love & Gravy xo
ScottM
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 4:53:12 AM

repete wrote:
The Velvets with Nico (the Banana album) was also first released in '66

The ever-reliable wikipedia is telling me March '67 Pete. But I figure they would have been writing and recording in '66 :-)

Every time I go back to that album (which is regularly), I am astounded by the fact that it is (now) nearly 45 years old. Post-punk before punk? So much attitude.

Call it snobbery if you will, but I don't see any point talking to someone about music if they haven't heard this record.
ScottM
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 7:18:34 AM

nwfone wrote:
In fact I just did a test on myself, and went here http://www.vinylsurrender.com/Music/Decade/2000s.php The top 20 songs of the 2000's, I have never heard of 4 of the artists there (The Shins, Band of Horses, Keane and Elbow... who the f**k are they?).... But I don't care and neither should anyone.

I realise the perils of serving up a critique of a "best of" list, as it can on for ever and ever, but The Shins, 3 times in the top 20? As in, 3 OF THE BEST SONGS OF THE DECADE? Regardless of what I think of the band, I have a hard time with that. And off the same album? Wow, some album that one. I think whoever decided they'd chuck that list together had been watching the film Garden State too many times in a row.....Maybe enjoyed it with an ex-girlfriend and gave it sentimental votes.

Anyway, I'm buying out of that one now. I was more fascinated by the trifecta of appearances than anything.

Back to the topic at hand, I think certain musicians, film stars, public figures etc have crossed over into broader history to the extent that it is surprising that people haven't heard of them. Knowing who Bob Dylan, or John Lennon, or Marlon Brando or Andy Warhol are would seem (to me) to be as expected as knowing who Neil Armstrong or JFK or Winston Churchill were. It goes beyond just being a music thing, it's just a general knowledge thing.
hipgrave
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 4:56:45 PM
Groups: Guest

For those interested, Bob's set lists, as he travels through Asia, are avalliable here http://www.bobdylan.com/tour

Anyonne with a statistical bent could perhaps follow the lists as Bob travels towards Bluesfest and predict what we will hear on April 25 & 26

Maybe Peter N could offer a prize for the closest correct entry????
richo
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:17:58 PM

Just guessin'...

He'll play Master of War on Tuesday.

Ballad of a Thin Man, Like A Rolling Stone and Highway 61 Revisited both days.

We'll get Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking as the opener on one day. The other will be either Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat or Rainy Day Women #12 & 35. Failing either of them then maybe Watchin' The River Flow.

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum will appear at least once. As will Jolene and Thunder On The Mountain. Other modern tracks like Honest With Me, The Levee's Gonna Break, Rollin' and Tumblin' will appear once. As will Beyond Here Lies Nothin'. High Water (for Charley Patton) is another staple that may well appear.

He might give Blind Willie McTell a spin if he wants to give a subtle nod to the festival he's playing at.

Tangled Up In Blue and Simple Twist Of Fate will represent Blood On The Tracks at least once each; probably the former both nights. He'll play guitar on the latter, the former only harmonica. Both sounding nothing like their album version.

If he plays 14 song sets (which I suspect he will with the 90 minute slots he's given), then we'll probably get two of three from All Along The Watchtower, Blowin' In The Wind and Forever Young. Or maybe Watchtower twice.

Finally, reviews will be incredibly polarising with many folks saying that they couldn't even tell what songs he was playing, while others say they loved the amazing reinterpretation of XYZ and the fact that he plays a healthy mix of new and old. His band will be universally praised; some saying they kept up with every curve-ball Bob threw their way, others saying that they adeptly covered for Bob's apparent lack of musical ability. Some will say his voice is shot and he should give up performing to preserve what little dignity he has left, others that the voice of a 70 year-old and all the lives it has lived gave new life and perspective to some of the greatest songs ever written.

ScottM
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 11:02:02 PM

richo wrote:
Finally, reviews will be incredibly polarising with many folks saying that they couldn't even tell what songs he was playing, while others say they loved the amazing reinterpretation of XYZ and the fact that he plays a healthy mix of new and old. His band will be universally praised; some saying they kept up with every curve-ball Bob threw their way, others saying that they adeptly covered for Bob's apparent lack of musical ability. Some will say his voice is shot and he should give up performing to preserve what little dignity he has left, others that the voice of a 70 year-old and all the lives it has lived gave new life and perspective to some of the greatest songs ever written.

I like this paragraph.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 11:25:59 PM

Thanks for the link Hipgrave.

Looking at the four 2011 sets which are listed,according to the site,we have album extracts as follows :

...The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan[1962]......

Don't think twice its alright
Blowin' in the wind
A hard rains' a gonna fall

...Another Side Of Bob Dylan[1964].....

It ain't me babe

...Bringing it all back home[1964]......

It's all over now baby blue

...Highway 61 Revisited[1965].....

Desolation Row
Highway 61 Revisited
Ballad of a thin man
Like a rolling stone

...John Wesley Harding[1967]....

All along the watchtower

...Planet Waves[1974].....

Forever Young

...Blood on the tracks[1975].....

Tangled up in blue
Simple twist of fate

...Slow train coming[1979].....

Gonna change my way of thinking
Gotta serve somebody

...Time out of mind[1997].....

Cold irons bound
Tryin to get to heaven
love sick

...The Bootleg Series Vol 1-3[1997].....

Blind Willie McTell

...The essential Bob Dylan[2000]....

Things have changed

...Love and theft[2001]......

Honest with me
Tweedledee & tweedledum
Sugar baby

...Modern Times[2006].......

The Levee's Gonna break
Rollin' and Tumblin'
Thunder on the mountain
Spirit on the water

...Together through Life[2009]......

Forgetful heart
Joelene
Beyond here lies nothin'
My wife's home town