Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Joe Henry Options
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:12:20 PM
Groups: Member

Another artist I'd love to see at BF

Just in case he doesn't, you can catch him at the Sydney Festival 27, 28 and 29 Jan.

Anyone seen him live?

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:48:33 PM

Pete alerted us to Joe's attendance at Sydney Festival , I think he's seen Joe live, but this Board's search facility will not get past page one

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:04:05 PM

I'm going on the 27th. Doing so on the back of Pete's earlier recommendation, plus a sparkling write up in the festival programme. I'll report back, though don't expect a detail heavy review, since I don't believe I'm familiar with any of his songs; I'm sure I have some albums he's played on or produced though.....
HowlinBindog
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:55:34 PM
Groups: Guest

There's an interesting story on him in this months Rhythms magazine

Some of his production in the last decade has been superb and highly significant in the resurrection of the artists with which he's worked

Solomon Burke began touring again on the strength of"Dont Give Up On Me" for example and has had quite a career resurgence in the last 6 yrs

Couldn't find it online but its out now with the picture of Leonard Cohen on the cover
repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:23:39 PM

greybeard wrote:
Pete alerted us to Joe's attendance at Sydney Festival , I think he's seen Joe live, but this Board's search facility will not get past page one

Haven't seen Joe perform before, having missed seeing him on his last tour many years ago. However, I have tickets in my hot little hand for his show this Friday at the Corner Hotel! Will post reports!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
repete
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 11:55:44 PM

Just got home...and I won't say too much to spoil the anticipation of punters going to the Sydney shows, except this:

Grand piano, double bass, couple of acoustic Gibsons. Voice, poetry, humour. Could've heard a pin drop. Genius.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:25:38 PM

Back from tonight's show and enjoyed it immensely, but at 1Hour 20Minuets was too short, no support act.
Bassist David Piltch deserves praise as perfect backup and amusing expressions.
Question
Joe co-wrote "Don't tell me" with Madonna, being competitive Joe recorded a version as a bossa nova, Madonna recorded her version as a * * * .

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:19:51 AM

I meant to chip in a comment, having been on Tuesday night. Well worth it indeed, thanks for the heads up Pete.

Tim Freedman of the Whitlams was sitting basically right in front of me, funny to notice some of the similarities in the piano playing styles of the 2......

For anyone able to get along to any of Joe's remaining Australian shows (if there are any), definitely worth a look. I'd put his style somewhere between Loudon Wainwright and Randy Newman, shifting between guitar and piano.