Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

All Tomorrow's Parties Options
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:17:19 AM
Groups: Member

Having just gotten back from the ATP festival in Mt Buller, I can say that I have no regrets about driving from Sydney to see it. Too many musical highlights to list, but I recommend anyone in Sydney should go along this weekend. The Bad Seeds may be in career best form. Just a shame that Dirty Three only played Victoria. There is no such thing as too much Warren Ellis. One of the highlights had to be spotting Ellis, Jim White and Nick Cave after the main set on the second night and stalking them for a photo. Missed out on Nick, but Jim and Warren were good enough to stop for a minute.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:13:29 PM

yeah looking forward to the brisbane show tomorrow and dead meadow/efuceekay buttons/afrirampo on friday. if dirty three were on the bill for the riverstage show it would be the best lineup ever, but i'll make do with what we got!

The poster formerly known as Dan
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:37:32 PM
Groups: Guest

I had planned a lager frenzy with entertainment by the detonators this friday night, luckily my memory stepped in and reminded me of my early start on saturday. 8.30am departure for us. Early. Looking forward to Passenger of Shit. I just hope he lives up to my expecctations or at least his name. I'm quietly confident.

Any recommendations from anyone apart from the obvious? Thanks.
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:27:43 PM

The Pasenger of Shit is indeed quite something. And he lives up more to the name than anything else. It is fairly intriguing how anyone can even concieve music of that nature.

Dead Meadow were very impressive - big 60's/70's guitar sound for a 3 piece.
Hoss and the Stabs are good value hard rock options early in the day if you get there early.
Laughing Clowns were (in my opinion) better than The Saints - Ed Kuepper seemed more enthusiastic about being out front of the Clowns again, but he tore it up in both sets.
Afrirampo I didn't catch much of, but seemed to be the dark horse act for a lot of people - loud, raucous 2 piece Japanese all-girl punk band.
Beaches likewise seemed to exceed the expectations of those who went (I couldn't get across there)
James "Blood" Ulmer is a damn tidy player and a cool cat, but I couldn't help but feel that I'd been spoiled enough by Bluesfests that my enthusiasm was dampened.

And since I regard the Bad Seeds, The Saints and Spiritualized as "the obvious ones", I'll leave it there.

And Dan, having Grinderman pop up as the "mystery act" on the first night, with the Dirty Three later that night and the Saints' original lineup finishing up, it was (in all likelihood) the best lineup ever.
youngbill
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:41:18 AM

Thanks Scott, I had the feeling the passenger would be of some interest. Any more tips?
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:16:44 AM

Tip - smuggle booze - I think that Sydney Festival shows are only serving Little Creatures beer ;-)

What else?

Robert Forster was still sounding good and played a few Go-Betweens songs as well as his own
I would have like to have seen more of Michael Gira (ex-Swans), he had a Leonard Cohen kind of voice/delivery happening.
Harmonia and Silver Apples I found had dated fairly poorly from their glory days. Nice ambient electronic stuff, but fairly simplistic.
Rowland S Howard sounded good with his band (compared to solo the other time I've seen him) - I only caught him very briefly, but apparently Mick Harvey was sitting in with the band.
The Reels' singer didn't have much in the tank I'm told, but the band sounded good
Conway Savage offers drunken piano balladry as an alternative to Hoss and Afrirampo who are on at the same time.

And that's pretty much everyone I saw, so about all insight I can offer. But if you are fans of these bands (as I assume you are), you shouldn't be disappointed.
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:10:33 PM

Well I've got my finger on the pulse, having not heard of Spiratualised previously. Goddamn! Which album should I start with?

The Saints didn't slay me as I'd expected, not sure why. By the time Know Your Product came around the vibe of the entire crowd instantly picked up, but unfortunately it was the last song and they were gone.

To ScottM's query about production, I thought The Saints mix sounded a bit limited for want of a better word. The rock tradition of not letting the support bands use of the whole rocking power of the pa seemed to be the case here. Ed's guitar sounded great but just buried, the horns were nowhere.

In contrast The Bad Seeds sounded absolutely monstrous, epsecially compared to the Saints who had just preceded them. Heaps more bottom, fatter, richer, the vocals just sat on top of everything, right out the front. I was at the back of the crowd, a good 200m from the stage and could feel the bottom end through the ground. I'd have thought The Saints at least would have been given the full system to use even if the others weren't. I thought this was strange as the lineup was supposedly chosen by the bad seeds. I thought the whole thing was supposed to be about r.e.s.p.e.c.t.

ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:15:20 PM

youngbill wrote:
I'd have thought The Saints at least would have been given the full system to use even if the others weren't. I thought this was strange as the lineup was supposedly chosen by the bad seeds. I thought the whole thing was supposed to be about r.e.s.p.e.c.t.

I agree as far as the Saints at least being given the full deal. I believe the lack of oomph for the rest of the day was owing to those poor, struggling citizens over the water at Hunters Hill having issue with the noise.

I agree about Spiritualized - had never heard basically anything, but was most impressed. At Mt Buller, throw in a night time slot, a nice little green/strobe light show and plenty of smoke machine action, and it really had that "big" show feel.

I thought the Saints in Sydney seemed more on the same page as a band, but I get where you're coming from with the sound angle. The Laughing Clowns weren't quite at the same level as they were a week earlier down south.

Bill, did you catch any of the almighty Passenger of Shit?
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:59:39 AM

How did I forget to file my report on the Passenger 'O' Shit?

I nipped out during the saints to check out the passenger's log for the simple reason that you really should miss some of your only chance to see such an important band to see someone else only because of their stupid name. Sadly my passenger experience was not to be. All I could get from a sydney festival guy was either a typo in the program or he played earlier or maybe a no show, but the stage was closed when I made it up there. There were a few disappointed faces trudging back down the hill with me.