Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

BDO recommendations Options
jafa99
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 8:38:59 PM
Groups: Member

Who do you recommend to see at BDO (Auckland)? No need to mention Neil Young, I'm familiar with his music.
Bob
waz
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:32:03 AM

It really depends on musical tastes but if you were after quality that would stand up to being at Bluesfest then I'd probably check out TV on the Radio and My Morning Jacket. The Ukelele Orchestra sounds interesting too!
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:39:52 AM

I'd say Eddy Current Suppression Ring, The Drones, TV On the Radio, Died Pretty, the Reels, and definitely My Morning Jacket. Fantomas might be interesting, but not everyone's cup of tea (a little avant garde)

Not sure who is or isn't playing Auckland, but this lot are all playing Sydney.
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:51:34 AM

[quote=ScottM]
I'd say Eddy Current Suppression Ring, The Drones, TV On the Radio, Died Pretty, the Reels, and definitely My Morning Jacket. Fantomas might be interesting, but not everyone's cup of tea (a little avant garde)

2 cents worth on The Reels....having seen them play The Wicko in Newcastle a few weeks ago I'd say don't bother. Dave was wasted and could hardly sing, let alone in tune. Very sad, but bottom line is don't waste your time seeing them

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
Sharleen7
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:22:38 PM

For some left field holler, I'd recommend BARRENCE WHITFIELD w/ the Rockwiz Orchestra! Check him out, Jafa!

http://www.barrencewhitfield.com/home2.htm

EXCESS in Moderation
jafa99
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:59:30 PM

Two mentions of My Morning Jacket - what qualities should I look for in them? I listened to their tracks on MySpace and wrote them off as sounding really wimpy. What am I missing?

TVOTR - now their stuff on MySpace does sound very interesting. I wonder whether it comes across as well on stage though. Will definitely pencil them in.

A number of the others recommended are not playing Auckland.

I'm working my way thru MySpace. Have also pencilled in Arctic Monkeys (sounded good and I read a bit about them and their attitude sounded really good), Dropkick Murphys and Son of Dave. Of course, Uncle Neil is inked in.

Bob
repete
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:06:31 PM

It's a shame Died Pretty aren't playing Auckland - legendary Sydney band, I couldn't recommend them more highly. They were one of the few bands on the planet during that awful mid-80's post Clash era who maintained my love of music. Indeed, they should be added to the bill for bluesfest.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:21:42 AM

My Morning Jacket are, in my opinion, an outstanding live proposition who have taken elements of jam band, southern rock and more recently funk and soul and bust their arses on a nightly basis. The latest album was a real departure from earlier sounds, but in my experience the newer material tends to meet the old somewhere in the middle during performance, so it will probably be OK.

I'd recommend trying to hear some tracks from Okonokos, their live album from a couple of years ago, particularly One Big Holiday and The Way He Sings. Jim James is a hell of a hard worker vocally, given their regular 3 hour sets (including their recent New year's show at Madison Square Garden). And if you need anymore recommendation, they are Neil's support act for his own shows.

And Pete, Died Pretty are indeed a strong recommendation for any Australian attendees - saw them play Doughboy Hollow in full last year, and they've still got it. Also check out Died Pretty vocalist Ron Peno with Scientists frontman Kim Salmon as The Darling Downs - 2 albums worth of dark folk goodness.
jafa99
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:50:16 AM

Best performance I saw at Auckland, by a big margin, was Neil Young. Second best was Arctic Monkeys. Overall, not a great festival. In fact, only Neil's performance saved it from being the least enjoyable festival I have been to anywhere. BDO 2006, the only other BDO I've been to, was better overall.

I'm wondering whether drum and bass music has poisoned most modern music, or at least live sound engineering. Across most of the festival, performances were characterised by excessive volume, excessive sub-bass, and domination of the boom and bash of bass and drums over vocals and guitar. MMJ was a case in point. I watched 20 min or so before going to another act. 85% of their sound was boom and bash leaving the vocals and guitar submerged.

Never mind, Neil Young showed them how it's done. He was marvellous. I wasn't familiar with all his songs, but he played lots of old favourites: Hey hey my my, Everybody knows this is nowhere, Cortez, Cinnamon girl (perhaps the highlight for me), Mother earth, Needle, Old man, Heart of gold, Cowgirl (another highlight), finishing the main set with a stonking Rockin in the free world. One encore - the Beatles' A Day in the Life. I won't spoil it for those going to see him in Aust by describing exactly how he tears it up at the end.

Needless to say, he would be a fine headliner at BF one year if we were so lucky.

Bob
waffles
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:53:01 PM

jafa thanks for the run down.how did the younger crowd take to neil youngs music.i really didnt know if he would fit a bdo crowd.
my son is going tomorrow and he knows none of neil youngs music. but also goes to bluesfest for 5 days for the last 5 years.hes 21
but keeps an open mind to all types of music.
i was worried neil young might not fit as you hear little of his music on the radio.especially with a bdo crowd.
i want my son to see him for music historys sake. i dont think he will tour here too many more times,and i dont think in 10 years time
you will remember too many other bands at bdo.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
repete
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:23:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Neil Young, Bob. I'm really looking forward to his Melbourne gig and thank my lucky stars i didn't hesitate to buy tickets for the now sold out show. Waffles, I'd be interested in what your son thinks. I sorta have a gut feeling the young'uns connect with him more than any other musician of our generation.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:57:09 AM

waffles wrote:
how did the younger crowd take to neil youngs music.i really didnt know if he would fit a bdo crowd.

Sorry, I didn't notice. And our local reviewer, Russell Baillie, is not a younger person, so I don't know what you can read into his comment: "if any young person thought he wasn't the man to finish off the Big Day Out, they can go back to their Limp Bizkit collection."

Baillie continued:
"He was fantastic. He transcended the setting. He gave this BDO a spirit so many others have lacked.

And despite being famously contrary, he delivered a terrific greatest hits set rather than a grand indulgence. And boy, he played guitar. Young is from the generation that first discovered the joys of electric guitars, amps and volume - and he still plays like a man thrilled with the idea.

That was apparent right from the early graunch of Hey Hey, My My (Out of the Blue) , later on a searing Cortez the Killer, and a celebratory Rockin' In the Free World which ended the main set before Young returned for a encore of the Beatles' A Day in the Life which was the most wonderful ending to a Big Day Out. Ever.

Young wasn't all high volume though, going acoustic - and managing a spot of Dr Phibes organ - on a lower key mid-set bracket which managed to dust off the delicate likes of Heart of Gold and Old Man and still make them resonate across a very big paddock.

The moment the first chorus and high-harmony kicked in on will go down as my favourite BDO moment of all time. With Young at its heart, this Big Day Out was right up there as one of the best."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=10552297
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:00:11 AM

Here's a younger person's perspective:

"He might be the oldest person at Mt Smart Stadium, but the dude knows how to play guitar. Dude knows how to play a mean guitar.

Neil Young performed like the true legend he is. If you told me he was born with a guitar in his hand, plucking away at the chords for Rockin' in the Free World, I'd probably believe you. I am pretty gullible though.

Despite his age, Young is still an entertaining character. I like the way he stomps his feet when he's deep in one of his lengthy guitar solos, like a kitten who hasn't quite learnt how to control all four of its paws.

He performed in front of one of the mellowest main stage crowds I've seen in years. Parents were rocking out with their kids, and there was no pushing or shoving like there was for Rage Against the Machine last year. Best of all, there were no queues for the D barricade, so I got right up close to hear him sing those immortal lines, "Rock and roll will never die".

After all these years, you still believe Young when he sings them. Perhaps all these oldies can teach us young 'uns a few tricks after all."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4818571a1860.html
waffles
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:49:39 PM

at least neil young is looking to the future in a positive way
http://www.lincvolt.com/
hopefully generation Y will take heed of his lead.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
juneandpetemullen
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:13:28 PM

Good to hear you all liked neil young i can not wait to see him in adelaide very soon !!!
Oldies still Golden.
Dan...
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 12:39:27 AM

missed him tonight but will definitely catch him wednesday for the brisbane sideshow + the bdo.

The poster formerly known as Dan
ScottM
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 7:45:35 AM

jafa99 wrote:
I'm wondering whether drum and bass music has poisoned most modern music, or at least live sound engineering. Across most of the festival, performances were characterised by excessive volume, excessive sub-bass, and domination of the boom and bash of bass and drums over vocals and guitar. MMJ was a case in point. I watched 20 min or so before going to another act. 85% of their sound was boom and bash leaving the vocals and guitar submerged.

I agree that this has become a really big problem, and I wonder if the foldback sound for the bands is reflecting the same trend, or if they remain oblivious to the wash. I've seen the occasional glimmer of hope recently, with guitar music seemingly nudging its way back in front in Sydney, over rock bands who are driven largely by the pulse of the rhythm section with very little else going on. Thankfully, the sound mixes have started to shift back also (at least in smaller venues and at the ATP festival).

Back to Neil, the set list highlights you've provided have suddenly got me really keen for Saturday night's Sydney side show. Thanks for the heads up.

jacobstorm
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:55:37 AM

Gold Coast BDO was amazing. It was my third year and the best so far.
Highly recommend:
Andrew Morris
Eddy Current was amazing. Brendan Suppression jumps into the crowd and goes wild. PLayed a lot of tracks from their new album 'primaray colours'. they were sensational.
The Grates were fun as always
The Gin club played a great set with a couple of bandmates missing
the ting tings was a joke. how a team of 2 guitar, drum and vocals raked in the biggest crowd at the green stage was mental. for two people who exploded on the pop dance scene out of no where sure did know how to make a crowd dance. i think too there was no one really that splendid up against them at the time of day and sure enough caught plenty of peoples attention. The crowd was MASSIVE
TV on the radio was everything i thought it would be. the sound dudes were hastling with the mics and sound for the whole half nhour l;eading up to the set. i was feeling a bit nervous the sound wasnt going to be right. but i think they got it pretty good. They were electric. many people have been saying they are running out of energy or looking tired, but these boys were full of energy and worked the crowd into a frnzy definately with 'dancing choose', 'wolf like me' and 'golden age'. they were loud and quickened up many of their songs which was awesome.
the dude from the gin club were out and watching my morning jacket and they were excellent. only saw a little bit of them , wish i couldve stayed for more, but the drones beckoned.
go see the drones. they were incredible. gareth has to be possessed by the devil, his eyes would light up and he would spit with the words and thrash his guitar. played heaps from 'havilah' and was simply a spectacle.
cut copy were brilliant
arctic monkeys were very good. played a geat set with a few new tracks and a cover of nick caves 'red right hand' was a highlight. the crowd were good. and it was nice not having people booing a band before the headliner i.e bjork before rage last year. bjork was just exceptional.
Neil Young was the most amazing thing i have evr seen. the sound was perfect and his setlist was just perfect. three acoustic songs needle, oldman, and heart of gold in the middle gave me shivers. and of course the encore was the perfect way to end bdo.

ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:21:27 PM

I'll give you this much jacob, you largely planned your day as I would have.

Somewhat regretting not going to Sydney BDO this week, but catching My Morning Jacket's sideshow and Neil's. Just unfortunate that TV On The Radio are playing the same night as Mr Young for the sideshows. They are a very interesting and challenging and capable band - all things that I look for in music. Plus they had one of the best albums of 2008.