Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

For Wilco Fans Options
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:55:55 PM
Groups: Member

On the 5,6,and 7th January 09, Neil Finn expanded on his 2001- 7 worlds collide concept by bringing back the same core of musicians to NZ as the 01 concert, but added to it, Jeff Tweedy, John Stirratt and Glenn Kotche of Wilco and also KT Tunstall.
With Johnny Marr (Smiths), Phil Selway and Ed O'Brien (Radiohead) and some of NZ's finest talent, Liam Finn, Bic Runga and Don McGlashan, this was always going to be a feast and it didn't disappoint.
A sort of musical chairs concept ,with at some times up to 11 musicians on the stage, and rocking on for three hours, this was one of the better concerts that I have even been to.
Too many highlights to list but off the top of my head, a couple being Liam Finn and John Stirrart's dual drumming, and Jeff Tweedy knocking out a Split Enz number!!!
The finale had everyone on stage (including Eddie Raynor) as they pulled off a stunner with Thunderclap Neuman's Something in the Air, with Jeff Tweedy on vocals....too much for a long time Wilco fan!! Tweedy announced that his life had been enriched by the last two weeks of rehearsals and time spent with the Finn Family, mine was enriched by the experience.
Watch out for the CD/ DVD.
Dan...
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:01:59 PM

yeah i had contemplated a quick trip over the ditch for this, but couldn't justify it in the end.

The poster formerly known as Dan
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 9:58:29 PM

I was meaning to ask you Dan,I haven't bought any Wilco music as yet.

By theloneranger at 2009-03-07

What do you recommend ?

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Dan...
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 10:17:50 PM

for you, patrick, i'd recommend AM - their first album. it's in more of a straight ahead country rock kind of vein.

if you want something with a few more pop flourishes then you can't go past summerteeth.

you might also be more interested in being there which is very eclectic (though very long).

but in my opinion their masterpiece is, without a doubt, yankee hotel foxtrot.

The poster formerly known as Dan