Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Land Where the Blues Began-Film by John M. Bishop, Alan Lomax, Worth W. Long Options
greybeard
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 7:40:28 AM

Groups: Member

Got a generous broadband plan and 58 minutes

A self-described "song-hunter," the folklorist Alan Lomax traveled the Mississippi Delta in the 1930s and 40s, sometimes in the company of black folklorists like John W. Work III, armed with primitive recording equipment and a keen love of the Delta's music heritage. Crisscrossing the towns and hamlets where the blues began, Lomax gave voice to such greats as Leadbelly, Fred McDowell, Muddy Waters, and many others, all of whom made their debut recordings with him.

In the late 1970s Lomax returned with filmmaker John Bishop and black folklorist Worth Long and made the film The Land Where the Blues Began. Shot on video tape, the film is narrated by Lomax and includes remarkable performances and stories by J.T. Tucker, William S. Hart, Bill Gordon, Belton Sutherland, Reverend Caeser Smith, James Hall, Johnny Brooks, Clyde Maxwell, Bud Spires, Jack Owens, Beatrice Maxwell, Walter Brown, Wilbert Puckett, and Othar Turner (see Gravel Springs Fife and Drum also on www.folkstreams.net).

Alan Lomax's book by the same title won the 1993 National Book Critics Award for nonfiction.

No one has come close to Alan Lomax in illuminating the intersecting musical roots of an extraordinary range of cultures, including our own.
--- Nat Hentoff
Link replaced with

http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=109

More films by A Lomax

Alan Lomax's Jazz Parades explores the cathartic Sunday jazz parade of social clubs like King Zulu, the Young Olympians and the White Eagles in New Orleans. An overview of the jazz scene takes form in the convergence of "the Uptown Blacks with the Downtown Creoles" and in interviews with the participants, who open the door for understanding the ritual aspect of "turning loose" the dead, celebrating Mardi Gras and sublimating violence by dancing in the streets. Their heroes (Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, Buddy Bolden, Johnny Dodds, Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, Kid Ory, Manuel Perez and John Robichaux) started out in the red light district, where the madames became the first patrons of jazz. Crosscutting between African and jazz parades cement their common links.

http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=126

Dreams and Songs of the Noble Old
An examination of the talents and wisdom of elderly musicians, singers, and story-tellers, who perform not for fame or fortune but to preserve and share their culture. Stories told by Janie Hunter (80 years old) of Johns Island, S.C.; ballads sung by ex-coal miner and union organizer Nimrod Workman (91), of Chatteroy, W.V.; fiddle tunes and tales of moonshining and feuds from Tommy Jarrell (83) of Toast, N.C.; Blues by Jack Owens and Sam Chatman of Mississippi, footage from the Alabama Sacred Harp Convention in Fyffe, Alabama, in which people of all ages gather to sing old-time shape-note hymn, and Jazz performed in Preservation Hall in New Orleans.

http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=127

Cajun Country
The Louisianna bayous combine West Indian, native American and hillbilly ingredients into a unique cultural gumbo. Alan Lomax's Cajun Country investigates Cajun's roots in Western France, visits their cattle drives, horse races, and barroom dances in rural Louisiana, and listens to the salty tales and raunchy songs of its black, white, and Indian music-makers.
http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=125

Appalachian Journey
Alan Lomax travels through the Southern Appalachians investigating the songs, dances, and religious rituals of the descendents of the Scotch-Irish frontiers people who have made the mountains their home for centuries. Preachers, fiddlers, moonshiners, cloggers and square dancers recount the good times and the hard times of rural life. Performances by Tommy Jarrell; Janette Carter; Ray and Stanley Hicks; Frank Proffitt, Jr.; Sheila Kay Adams; and Ray Fairchild, the man reputed to be the fastest banjo-picker in the world.

http://www.folkstreams.net/pub/FilmPage.php?title=128

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 7:22:19 PM

just watched that great insight into the real blues.
if there was any time to be in mississippi it would be in 2 weeks time.
http://www.jukejointfestival.com/fest_events.php

i never went with my mate in december because i thought it would be too cold-i was right it got to minus 10 in memphis.
but this festival would be a blast-they even have a welcome aussies ceremony. i dont know where that comes from.
just scan down some of the events-real down home.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:25:28 AM

Fixed the link and added more films

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
repete
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:36:15 PM

This is fantastic....thanks GB !

Hangin' out on Frenchmen