Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Hey Sharleen.....BB King Options
repete
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:06:40 PM
Groups: Member

G'day Sharleen...not sure when you guys are arriving in NOLA, but I have it on good authority that BB King is playing the House of Blues on Sunday, April 5. Tickets go on sale Jan 10.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Sharleen7
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 11:00:41 AM

Hey Pete,
Sorry I missed this post until just now - I guess we'll miss seeing ol' Riley Lee at the HOB as we're not arriving 'til just before Jazzfest starts... We opted to stick around here for Bluesfest and then work a few days before we take off.

However, we're gonna be staying on after Jazzfest, traveling around the states til the 1st week of June so if you hear any rumours about tours, festivals, etc. happening in May, I'd love to hear 'em!

EXCESS in Moderation
repete
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 11:40:31 AM

Sharleen7 wrote:
Hey Pete,
Sorry I missed this post until just now - I guess we'll miss seeing ol' Riley Lee at the HOB as we're not arriving 'til just before Jazzfest starts... We opted to stick around here for Bluesfest and then work a few days before we take off.

However, we're gonna be staying on after Jazzfest, traveling around the states til the 1st week of June so if you hear any rumours about tours, festivals, etc. happening in May, I'd love to hear 'em!

Hi Sharleen...he's playing the night after we arrive...got tix!!

I'll suss out what else might be happening after fest...it's a shame there's so many other events which happen on the same 2 weekends, especially the Festival International de Louisiane in Lafeyette during the first weekend of jazzfest and then the Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival during the second weekend! BTW, looks as if an appearance by Aretha is no longer certain and gawd help us, but Bon Jovi is on the bill (I'll remain at Fais Do Do that day!!).

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 8:30:49 PM

Sharleen7 wrote:
we're gonna be staying on after Jazzfest, traveling around the states til the 1st week of June so if you hear any rumours about tours, festivals, etc. happening in May, I'd love to hear 'em!

Where are you travelling? There is no shortage of festivals. Take the first saturday following jazzfest for instance:

Friday-Saturday, May 8-9, 2009
"Simply The Blues" Blues Festival
Fort Madison, Iowa
Bobby Rush on Friday

Saturday, May 9, 2009
Clarksdale Caravan Music Fest
Clarksdale, Mississippi

Saturday, May 9, 2009
The Lead Belly Blues
Shreveport, Louisiana
Bobby Rush, Ruthie Foster, Eddie Shaw, Kenny Neal, Johnny Rawls

Saturday, May 9, 2009
The Pinetop Perkins Blues Festival
Belzoni, Mississippi

Saturday, May 9, 2009
Robert Johnson Blues Jam
Crystal Springs, Mississippi

Saturday, May 9, 2009
UnTapped Blues Festival
Kennwick, Washington
Sharleen7
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 11:35:57 AM

repete wrote:
....BTW, looks as if an appearance by Aretha is no longer certain and gawd help us, but Bon Jovi is on the bill (I'll remain at Fais Do Do that day!!).

Yes, it seems Aretha has dropped off the bill, what a shame! and the big BJ (shudder) is certainly no Fats Domino, is he? (I remember you were hoping to see him added to the line-up). There's a chance they may add another performer with redeeming qualities on the last Sunday with a TBA spot still on the bill there. Let's hope they don't go all commercial for that one, too!

And many thanks to you, Jafa for posting all those gigs happening for the weekend after Jazzfest. There's a lot of appealing choices there - It'd be a tough call to pick which one to attend (I'd probably go for the Pinetop Perkins blues festival) - I had even thought about attending the Blues Awards in Memphis/Clarksdale - http://www.blues.org/bluesmusicawards/nominees.php4, but unfortunately (for my neverending music jones) we've got family visiting commitments for much of this trip. So we'll have to get lucky and find a few concerts or one day festivals that will fit in with our schedule. I'm probably gonna be in NW Arkansas that weekend visiting my sister with my 86 yr old Momma in tow (it will be Mother's Day on the Sunday, after all!)

From there, we're heading up to St. Louis for a few days (I'm looking at checking out Chuck Berry's Blueberry Hill venue - http://www.blueberryhill.com/ - he still performs there about once a month) and then out west to Colorado, Utah/Arizona/Vegas, and finally back to LA & San Diego for the last week of our trip. We've got family & friends to visit everywhere except for Utah/AZ/Vegas, where we'll be exploring some of the national parks. So as you can see, a lot of our time is spoken for, but it's always fun to hear about all the music that's happening over there, so your efforts are greatly appreciated!

EXCESS in Moderation
repete
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:24:37 PM

Sharleen7 wrote:
Hey Pete,

Hey Sharleen, sorry for the delay, been a bit distracted by the fires burning down here. Some absolutely great suggestions from Jafa! Another option is to swing through southern Louisiana (and the Atchafalya Basin) and check out the creole and cajun culture and clubs like El Sido's in Lafayette or Slim's Y-Ki-Ki in Opelousas (Clifton Chenier's hometown) or try the Rendez-Vous des Cajuns on a Saturday night in Eunice. And there's a heap of zydeco and cajun in Breaux Bridge and enough crawfish to eat to last a lifetime! And dance yer arse off at Angelle's Whiskey River landing in Henderson. We're going there before FQF and jazzfest so if we meet up in nyawlins, will pass on all the info!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen