Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Stages and Tents Options
deadend
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:26:29 PM
Groups: Member

So how many stages will be erected for this grand event? In an earlier post I noticed someone whinging about people smoking in tents. Are all of the stages covered by tents? Most of the festivals I've attended feature just a single, smaller stage under a tent and the rest are open-air. I find it very strange that a little more than a month out the schedule has not been released. Any ideas on when this will go out?
colinsid
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:57:08 PM

This is classed as an all weather event & each stage is in tents & intense. The tents are varying in size from Mojo being the largest (used to be billed as largest in Australia) & decreasing in size. They can generally fit everyone if it is required.
This is because it rains regularly in that part of the world & there is no such thing as drizzle, a light sprinkle or anything much less than a torrential downpour.
distinctlyme
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:04:11 PM

Last years set up...

These are just from the Photo Galleries on the Bluesfest website, check out others if you want a better idea.
deanoc
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 6:04:41 PM

deadend, as you have hopefully checked out the artists daily schedules are locked in so you can get an idea of what days whom are playin . As to stage designations for each performer, usually that will appear a few weeks out due to final artist announcements and any impending cancellations etc. Dont worry this is a world class event that Australians should be very proud of and as someone whom has been attending since the mid nineties, i assure you strange or not you wont be dissapointed. All stages are covered.
ps im not working for bluesfest
repete
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 6:54:22 PM

I don't expect to see the bill for about 2 or 3 weeks ... the final announcement hasn't even been made yet. All stages are undercover and the Mojo tent can hold close to 10,000 people when jampacked (ie James Brown in '04). Don't worry deadend, this festival is one of the top five major international music festivals - you won't be disappointed :-)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
deadend
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies from everyone. I don't think I will disappointed either. In fact the covered stages may spoil me into demanding them at every outdoor festival i attend in the future. The aerial photos are great. My curiosity is officially stimulated. Can't wait.

In regards to scheduling; about what time does the music start and end (i.e. 11:00 am to 11:00 pm)? How long are the sets?
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:58:34 AM

It does indeed spoil you - I remember it raining on the way into my fest fest in 2004. 10 minutes later, I was sitting on a dry patch of grass under a tent enjoying Richard Thompson. I thought "I've left this far too long".

The playing days/status of the acts should give a bit of an indication anyway. In perhaps a truly tragic level of dedication, I used to try to come up with what I thought would be the daily plaing times, just to see how close I could get. This festival does funny things to a person.......

Starts at noon-ish, ends at midnight-ish. 4pm-ish start on Thursday. Can't remember day 6 details, but it is a shorter day too. If you're there for your fill of music first and foremost, get there at the start and stay till the end. Very rare is the hour where you can't find anything of interest.