ARETHA FRANKLIN
TONY BENNETT
EMMYLOU HARRIS
AARON NEVILLE/NEVILLE BROS
TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS
BONNIE RAITT
ERYKAH BADU
ect.....

Bluesfest take note, this is how to blow away your festival goers!
repete
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:23:26 AM
Groups: Member

humanracin1 wrote:

Wow, what a lineup!!!

ETTA JAMES
ARETHA FRANKLIN
TONY BENNETT
EMMYLOU HARRIS
AARON NEVILLE/NEVILLE BROS
TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS
BONNIE RAITT
ERYKAH BADU
ect.....

Bluesfest take note, this is how to blow away your festival goers!

Hehehehe...that's a bit tough!!! Jazzfest is the mother festival which will always attract the best artists on the planet, and in large numbers. However, some of the real gems are to be found buried deep in those lists - artists who are virtually unknown outside of Louisiana.

Anyway, I think what Peter Noble and the bluesfest team have achieved is an incredible, high quality international festival (Taj Mahal rates bluesfest as one of the top 5 festivals on the planet) - we're really lucky to have a festival of the quality of bluesfest in this country which has been sustained over such a long period of time and for that I say a huge thank you and hope I'll be there for the 21st and 30th bluesfest (gawd...I don't wanna even think how old I'll be by then!). But if you want a festival like jazzfest, you'll have to go to New Orleans - I hope you get the chance one day, it's guaranteed to blow your mind.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
humanracin1
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:34:23 AM
Groups: Guest

Yeah, I understand.
I have wanted to visit New Orleans for years.
Almost went, was all booked to go when Katrina hit.
One day....
littlewillie
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:25:42 PM

What an amazing lineup.

Looks like some tough decisions ahead for you pete with only 2 weekends to try and soak it all in.
Sharleen7
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:13:39 AM

Hey Pete, Thanks for that! There's a lot of my favorites on that list - Etta James, Johnny Winter, Booker T, Robert Cray, Bonnie Raitt, John Mayall, Toots & the Maytalls, Joe Cocker, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Los Lobos, Roy Rogers, Hugh Masekela, and that's not even counting the Louisiana music: The Nevilles, Dr. John, Allen Toussaint, Irma Thomas, Marcia Ball, the subdudes, the Iguanas, Eric Lindell, the Radiators, Tab Benoit, Jon Cleary, Kenny Neal, Marva Wright, CJ Chenier, Terrence, Chubby Carrier, Rosie Ledet, Geno Delafose...they seem to have included just about everybody this year! Like lil' willie said, some tough choices ahead. We'll have to see how they all line up.

Aretha indeed! Seeing as she's just been named the #1 Greatest Singer of All Time by Rolling Stone magazine, she's a timely choice.

There's just a couple of names missing from that list (where's CC Adcock, Coco Robicheaux and Taj?) but I'm hopeful that they will end up playing at some other gigs around town. That's the joy of Jazzfest - it's the solid base of what builds up to be a wonderful ten days of music all around the Crescent City - if you don't see 'em at Jazzfest, you've got 11 nights around town to catch 'em!

EXCESS in Moderation
repete
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:42:22 PM

You're right Sharleen...can't see Coco anywhere (mind you, it took me a couple of days to find Cedric Watson) but I'm sure he'll be appearing around town. Also, no Snooks Eaglin - his health isn't too good (but apparently there's a spot open for him if he comes good). CC could be appearing with Tab Benoit and the Wetland Allstars, otherwise I hope he's got some gigs around town with the Lafayette Marquis. The end of fest at the Acura stage is slated to be Allen Toussaint, Aretha Franklin and the Nevilles ... one after the other, that's just unbelievable. For the first weekend my absolute must see is Wynton Marsalis with the Jazz at Lincoln Centre Orchestra and Odadaa/ with Yacub Addy - a 17 piece jazz big band combined with a 9 piece Ghanian percussion and vocal ensemble - Congo Square at Congo Square stage!! Plus throughout the fest, some of the best slide guitarists on the planet - Johnny Winter, Sonny Landreth, Roy Rogers and John Mooney and Bonnie who learnt from none other than the great Mississippi Fred McDowell. And of course the Doctor in his hometown and Mavis Staples to join Irma Thomas to sing Mahalia's songs of praise. And all the cajun and zydeco, nyawlins r 'n b, funk, mardi gras Indian and brass band! And finally there's one more big name for the second weekend - I dream it's gonna be Fats Domino.

Hehehehehe...and it's French Quarter Fest before all of this!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen