Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Just back from the show........ Options
mgwfall
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 12:17:00 AM
Groups: Member

M Ward at The Enmore

Brilliant. Jaw droppingly stunning........what a voice!!

For those never heard of M Ward

looks/vocals cross between Billy Joel/Tom Waits, looks a bit like Billy Joel, storytelling lyrics, can get the bass vocals of Tom but musically rather than gravelly

style of guitar playing cross between Justin Townes Earle/Luka Bloom

He's come a long way since I last saw him at The Metro a few years ago. Far more comfortable on stage & funny in an understated way.

mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:03:11 PM

The Waifs last night at Anita's Theatre at Thirroul.

Great show, band in fine form. Vikky & Donna in fine voice & Josh got 3 songs on lead vocal, one of which was for me the highlight of the show. That stunning gospel/blues song Temptation.

They played a lot of songs from the about to be released album (don't understand why it wasn't available at the venue). These songs were more in the SunDirtWater style than the earlier cds, so I am so looking forward to the cd (released March 4th I think).

Vikky's harmonica playing gets better & better. And loved the pared back SunDirtWater, just double bass & vocal.

And Vikky's having a baby (only Vikky, they didn't manage to sync it this time!!)

Playing The Enmore this Saturday

The venue, beautiful looking place. The aucoustics up back need a little work, could hear low grade audience chatter throughout. And I think the lightning on stage was a little too dark at times, a bit Ryan Adamish.

Opening act Mama Kin also excellent

mgwfall
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:57:01 PM

BB King at The State Theatre Sydney.

When he was actually playing & singing, wonderful. The vocals on the opening "The Thrill Is Gone" has made it onto my "magic moments" at a concert list.

but.......

too much wasted time, too much band, too much banter, one of the longest band intros ever.

band started on their own, (not unusual), but played 2 full songs, the second included a long guitar solo by the band guitarist.......sorry mate, don't care how good you are, you weren't BB. Then BB walked on, of course massive applause, standing ovation, took a while to get to his seat, throwing out picks to the crowd as he went, played about 2 lines, then decided now was a good time to introduce the band (all 8 or 9 of them) each with their own story........so unfortunately for me, some of the anticipation of looking forward to this legend was was being spoiled by irritation of now being maybe 20+mins into his set & still waiting to hear him play. And then in the first full song....a long keyboard solo!

and the concert didn't get flowing as the music got too broken up by crowd banter. I just would have prefered more music.

Would be interested in hearing what others at the show thought.

Still glad I went, just would have been happier with more BB playing & singing & less talk & band.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:14:56 AM

I have observed that when humans get into the 80 plus bracket,you might see them now and see them in 12 months time,and they have completely changed.

There is a substantial deterioration.

Considering that Bo Diddley was 78 when he last played Bluesfest,the show is pretty much what I would expect when a man has actually got to 85 and has to pace himself a bit.

He and Buddy Guy have spent a bit of time together over the years,so the ""time wasting"" does not surprise me.

When you get to that age,you need to take some time to smell the flowers.

Now if you are a young pup like Jeff Beck,you just do the business with no time for chit chat.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:57:42 AM

Apart from the bouquet he got at the end of the show.....no flowers to smell.

I saw Bo Diddley at Bluesfest & that show still remains the only absolute disappointment of seeing a older legend in concert.

The 20+ mins before he started to play doesn't fit with the "take some time", he could have starting playing from the beginning & had a mini break to give the band a couple of songs if he needed to pace it.

Still, I've seen live a legend. So life is good.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:27:40 AM
Groups: Administration

BB will be 86 years old September 16 this year.
please enjoy every moment you will get with the Real King of the Blues.
please don't judge - just be in his presence.
For real Blues lovers - you may never experience an experience this great ever again
Enjoy
sincerely
Bboard Admin
ianandhelena
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:02:09 AM

Some people are never happy unless they have something to whinge and moan about.
the man has been playing gigs for 60+years and now he is is his golden years, and takes a little time to get on stage, and has his band do a warm-up spot-what's wrong with that?
he is one of the last of the living blues greats, along with buddy guy, and deserves some appreciation for keeping on, not some miserable b*stard complaining about time wasting.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:12:23 PM

Because of the calibre of the musicans Buddy & BB have with them,I welcome the band members being given the chance to show their wares.

I am confident that JohnnyMac will agree that having running as your sport over many years serves to give you a good understanding of the aging process,and how it affects performance.

I have seen an 85 year old runner.

A rare breed.

I'll be up front at 20.45 on Friday in Crossroads.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bbbbirdman
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:30:19 PM

Hey
I'd be glad if Im still walking and remember my name at 86!
Most oldies get arthritis and really sing the blues.

http://www.guitar-muse.com/trigger-willie-nelson-martin-n-20-1905
http://www.bowneckslide.com/
CaptainVic2
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:37:28 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Because of the calibre of the musicans Buddy & BB have with them,I welcome the band members being given the chance to show their wares.

I am confident that JohnnyMac will agree that having running as your sport over many years serves to give you a good understanding of the aging process,and how it affects performance.

I have seen an 85 year old runner.

A rare breed.

I'll be up front at 20.45 on Friday in Crossroads.

I hope you're not too tall Ranger, or don't wear a big hat, because I don't want to be caught behind you! See you there!
BluesonlyBlues
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:37:26 PM

You'll have to be behind me Ranger. I'm gunna be the most up frontest. I'm seeing BB on Saturday night too. I don't care if he only sings one song. That will be enough for me. Just to be there and see him will be a highlight of my musical dreams.
mpember
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:28:15 AM

BluesonlyBlues wrote:
You'll have to be behind me Ranger. I'm gunna be the most up frontest. I'm seeing BB on Saturday night too. I don't care if he only sings one song. That will be enough for me. Just to be there and see him will be a highlight of my musical dreams.

Same here. I'll be there on Saturday and down the front at Bluesfest.
pentatonic
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:43:16 AM
Groups: Guest

BluesonlyBlues wrote:

Ahh, actually, I'll be the most up-frontest person there. ;-)
CaptainVic2
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:37:36 PM

But I'll be in front of you, standing on my chair, leaning on the fence!
oldbilly1
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:48:00 PM

just back from singapore site - looks good. helluva view...
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:53:54 PM

Hi all, sorry to upset so many with my review of the gig on Tues.

Get the impression from the comments, no one else has seen him yet.

In no way would I suggest not seeing him as some of the comments seem to imply. And sorry that my review read as the way he walked on stage was a problem. Was standing & cheering as loud as the next person. The "No Standing" signs on the upper levels had no chance of being followed when BB walked on stage. But that just enhanced the anticipation of seeing him play which then got crushed with the band intro thing.

Maybe you'll all enjoy the show more getting a heads up about how it flows. And I'll probably be there as front as possible to see him on Friday. A Legend not likely to come our way again. (That "magic moment at a gig", the opening vocal of "The Thrill Is Gone" is still reverberating around my brain.)

And re Bluesfest admin comment, the sideshow tickets were $150+, so not sure BB's management took the age thing into consideration.

As I said, have no regrets going, would have forever regreted not going.....but can you blame me for just wishing I'd seen a bit more of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFgyTwcs4LQ

(PS, either youtube or my computer is having issues, as this (& others I had a look at to compare) is playing out of synch, video playing too slow)
arbee0
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:28:36 PM

Fair and timely warning to anyone unfortunate enough to be in my space at the time - 2 or 3 bars into "The Thrill is Gone" I'm gonna lose it - and it won't be a good look!
BluesonlyBlues
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:38:57 PM

You are probably all really nice people.........but I'm a "woman of a certain age". With a walking stick. Which I won't hesitate to use should anyone get in my way. And I'm short so you will all be able to see over the top of me at the FRONT. :)
richo
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:20:50 PM

Seeing him next Tuesday in Adelaide. I still quite haven't grasped that I'll be seeing B.B. King and Bob Dylan one after the other...

I loved every minute of the last B.B. King show I saw back in 2009.
mpember
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 9:44:48 AM

mgwfall wrote:
And re Bluesfest admin comment, the sideshow tickets were $150+, so not sure BB's management took the age thing into consideration.

The "nosebleed" tickes were $120, which is sort of expected for venues that BB King is playing.

The fact that I paid $105 for my "A Reserve" ticket just makes the whole thing better. :)