timcook123
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 12:31:58 PM

Groups: Member

All of them are playing at the grammys in LA tonight
its on fox8 live at 2:30pm EST
and again at 8:30
it'll be good to see what Dylans performance is like
and for people who missed The Avett Brothers last year check em out
and the Mumfords will be good aswell, definetly be at a future bluesfest!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
Dan...
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 1:22:04 PM

timcook123 wrote:
and the Mumfords will be good aswell, definetly be at a future bluesfest!

please no. saw half their set at spelndour and it was torturous.

The poster formerly known as Dan
timcook123
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 2:21:12 PM

no good ya reckon dan
guess ill find out for myself tonight

Hopefully Dylan doesnt disapoint
dont think he will but!

And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
Don't put on any airs

B. Dylan
Dan...
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 8:25:22 PM

just not for me i guess, tim. they certainly had a big enough crowd though.

The poster formerly known as Dan
darryl01
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 10:02:21 AM

Saw Dylan in Brisbane a couple of years ago - he was woeful in my opinion(I know some people raved about the show). I thought he was bad again at the Grammys Arrogant / lost his voice and looks like he doesn't care. I am going on Tuesday but not to see Dylan - my wife and I have been avid fans for years but nfortunately he has lost us.
charliebear
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:20:52 AM

darryl01 wrote:
Saw Dylan in Brisbane a couple of years ago - he was woeful in my opinion(I know some people raved about the show). I thought he was bad again at the Grammys Arrogant / lost his voice and looks like he doesn't care. I am going on Tuesday but not to see Dylan - my wife and I have been avid fans for years but nfortunately he has lost us.

ouch!

I eat veggies, i eat veggies, they taste good! =)
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:21:52 AM

So if you are not going to see Dylan on Tuesday you will be in the other tent getting funky.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
c0kebloke
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:32:59 AM
Groups: Guest

I was speaking to a mate who had more are less the same expirience as darryl01 but i spoke to my brother who saw him back in the 80s & loved the entite show.
I think i will go with an open mind & as the ranger says if we dont like whats on offer lets get funky! ....@ bf its a win win.
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:53:12 AM

Dylan is Dylan. What you see is what you get. I have seen him 6/7 times over the years.
This is a man that invented folk rock, and if you seen him with The Band and all the traitor bollocks you will get my drift.
He has NEVER been an act.....he is Dylan. He has knocked me out several times over the years..............I recall when he did 'Dont think twice' to a Reggae beat at Western Springs as one of those times. What he did on the Grammys I thought was equally surprising and equally enjoyable.
He can do an acoustic 'Masters of War' or a fully amped 'Baby let me follow you down' and I will be in Old Mans Heaven.
You are about to see a man that has dined with The Pope and Presidents..............enjoy the moment and tell your grandchildren about it.
oldbilly1
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:11:27 PM

johnnymac wrote:
Dylan is Dylan. What you see is what you get. I have seen him 6/7 times over the years.
This is a man that invented folk rock, and if you seen him with The Band and all the traitor bollocks you will get my drift.
He has NEVER been an act.....he is Dylan. He has knocked me out several times over the years..............I recall when he did 'Dont think twice' to a Reggae beat at Western Springs as one of those times. What he did on the Grammys I thought was equally surprising and equally enjoyable.
He can do an acoustic 'Masters of War' or a fully amped 'Baby let me follow you down' and I will be in Old Mans Heaven.
You are about to see a man that has dined with The Pope and Presidents..............enjoy the moment and tell your grandchildren about it.

Nice take on it, johnny. I've seen Dylan a couple of times. First gig I saw him play I thought the performance from both the man and his band was pretty shambolic and inconsistent. Second time was great, with lots of energy and humor all around. While I look back fondly on the second gig, I've come to really value the first as an important part of my musical education for all the reasons you have listed. From what I can gather, Dylan has always been a bit of an enigma as a performer who is both wildly popular and an aquired taste. Plenty of other stuff to do at Bluesfest, if he is not your cup of tea (coffee?).

For some reason, some of the recent debate about Dylan got me to thinking about Bo Diddley's visits to Bluesfest. His first visit was a revelation to me, as I just hadn't fully appreciated the artistry of the performer and the depth of his contribution to rock'n'roll. His second visit was a sadder occasion and really a time to show respect and honor for such a seminal figure. While I hope Bob is around for a long time to come, the gig is a chance to see one of the most significant and important musicians of the 20th century. Opportunities like that don't come along everyday...
repete
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:51:34 PM

Arguably, there is no other artist, living or dead, who inspires such controversy and debate. The first time I saw Dylan perform was only 10 years ago. The band included Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton on guitars and Tony Garnier on bass. With a killer band like that you can hardly go wrong and it was a sublime show. He even seemed to be enjoying himself, acknowledged the audience, smiled and I swear he did the duck walk in one of the encores! We can expect a lot of the old songs, but don't expect to recognise them....this will be no sing-along. As Billy says, he's one of the most significant artists of the 20thC and IMHO one of the very few who has put out albums that changed the course of music history.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
oldbilly1
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:52:05 PM

repete wrote:
Arguably, there is no other artist, living or dead, who inspires such controversy and debate. The first time I saw Dylan perform was only 10 years ago. The band included Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton on guitars and Tony Garnier on bass. With a killer band like that you can hardly go wrong and it was a sublime show. He even seemed to be enjoying himself, acknowledged the audience, smiled and I swear he did the duck walk in one of the encores! We can expect a lot of the old songs, but don't expect to recognise them....this will be no sing-along. As Billy says, he's one of the most significant artists of the 20thC and IMHO one of the very few who has put out albums that changed the course of music history.

yep, that was the exact band and tour I remember so fondly Pete...
timcook123
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 7:39:39 AM

Does anybody know if he'll be bringing a band along with him or will he just do an acoustic thing.
you would think he would do the bluesfest with a band!!
but as every says the man is unpredictable

And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
Don't put on any airs

B. Dylan
richo
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 3:41:58 PM

Definitely with his band. He hasn't played solo acoustic live in many years.

Seen him 12 times myself... most in the past couple of years. If you like his recent albums and understand that he's not a nostalgia act then you'll enjoy it. If you want a Paul McCartney style note-for-note reenactment of the 60s then Dylan will disappoint.
mcloud
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 4:31:46 PM

great website to get an idea of what sort of sets to expect.

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=bob+dylan

waffles
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 6:01:51 PM

thanks for that-great insight.some of those sets id love

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
timcook123
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:41:51 AM

Together Through Life, Modern Times and Time out of mind are all Classics

And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
Don't put on any airs

B. Dylan
curlyloc
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:52:33 PM

[quote=johnnymac] What he did on the Grammys I thought was equally surprising and equally enjoyable.
quote]

Hmmm please explain?

I am a massive Dylan fan - specially Maggie's farm which was on my only tape when I lived in remote Oz in the 80s. I've watched the Grammy performance a few times and thought the back up guitarists looked like they were loving it, but the end result was - well - bad. I'd be interested how it could be enjoyable for others, acknowledging that music is in the ear of the beholder.

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
richo
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:07:31 PM

Hard to defend Dylan on conventional music terms, because he's made one of the most enduring and varied careers in music by being unconventional. All I can say is it worked for me...

Bob Dylan was approached to play an acoustic salute to modern folk music. Only Bob Dylan would respond by choosing a song that he wrote as a scatching rejection of the folk movement of the 60s. That he famously 'went electric' with at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965 to boos. Only Bob Dylan would have the guts to deliver a performance like that on the Grammys, which up until that point had been a barrage of auto-tune and choreographed perfection. That's a deeper, growlier and more fierce voice than I've ever heard him use in concert. A stark contrast to his recent TV appearances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2sYIIjS-cQ (White House performance last year)
http://vimeo.com/8189252 (featuring Ry Cooder and Van Dyke Parks)

The sound mix of the Grammys performance was pretty ordinary... whether because they weren't able to isolate Bob's voice from the 12 guys strumming like crazy behind him, or someone behind the scenes didn't think people would enjoy Bob's voice, but either way I think he sounded good in a way that only he could. And that wave from Neil Young at the very end like an excited buddy in the crowd... priceless.

You can expect his Bluesfest performances to be completely different to the Grammys performance, but at the same time if you don't enjoy it then you probably won't enjoy his shows either.
charliebear
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:29:30 PM

oldbilly i saw bo diddley 2 times at bluesfest he was hell cool for an oldie shame he carked it. i'd give up good old johnny butler to see him again

I eat veggies, i eat veggies, they taste good! =)