Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Seriously? Options
littlewillie
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:19:14 PM
Groups: Member

This message appears on Eli Paperboy Reed's myspace site.

"Please withdraw from the Byron Bay BluesFest’s extra day on the 26th of April to show your support for the protest against the festival’s potential impacts on the local Koala population.

The Koala is in danger of extinction from the broader local region. One of the few last populations exist on and around the BluesFest site.

II suggest that you could continue to play on the other days of the festival but withdraw from the final (“extra”) day in support of the Koala, an Australian iconic species.

This message has been sent to all the artists who are planned to appear on the extra day."

I saw more koalas at belongil field than I've ever seen. I thought they must like the music.

colinsid
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 12:28:38 PM

How much can a Koala bear?
Jaylee1
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 2:55:06 PM

from this weeks Byron Shire Echo ( a local paper actually worth reading!)

http://www.echo.net.au/issue_section/81

JT
greybeard
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 3:09:14 PM

Surely a better response would be for concerned Artists to donate part of their salary to Conservation
Boycotting the sixth day is illogical and benefits nobody

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
oldbilly1
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 7:05:23 PM

or just give the fest some time and it may end up being a invaluable partner in a larger conservation effort. the fest has a long tradition of charity work and community service involvement. I wonder how much real dialogue has had the chance to take place? sustainability is not about knee-jerk reactions, but real engagement...
c0kebloke
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:10:12 AM
Groups: Guest

Didn't the bluesfestadmin write a post about this?
It seems to of dissapeared.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:17:23 AM

smart work by admin.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Dan...
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:24:44 AM

waffles wrote:
smart work by admin.

you can say that again!

The poster formerly known as Dan
Maccain09
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 9:40:06 AM

It disapeared just as fast as the crowds will at the Robbins's set - I still can't figure out why they have some sort of mindbender on before bob dylan is just bizzare? Has this guy influenced Peter to be more sucessful? I note he did work with Quincey Jones on one of his infomercials? I got some of his stuff on I tunes over the weekend - I cant see the crowd getting into it. The BDO had Reggie Watts, but he does human beat boxing? Robbins asking us to unlock our inner potential while hundreds of people are wasted, drifting in and out of sobriety it’s a weird idea. My guess is that his cult will come from all over Australia to buy his merchandise from the tents turning over a serious amount of revenue. He might have come as part of the Dylan package, a travelling motivator to keep Dylan switched on? As for the Koala bears, they are super cute and should be welcomed to the festival with open arms, I remember one at the last venue by the apra tent, he looked like he was having a great time.
distinctlyme
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 10:28:46 AM

Maccain09 wrote:
It disapeared just as fast as the crowds will at the Robbins's set - I still can't figure out why they have some sort of mindbender on before bob dylan is just bizzare? Has this guy influenced Peter to be more sucessful? I note he did work with Quincey Jones on one of his infomercials? I got some of his stuff on I tunes over the weekend - I cant see the crowd getting into it. The BDO had Reggie Watts, but he does human beat boxing? Robbins asking us to unlock our inner potential while hundreds of people are wasted, drifting in and out of sobriety it’s a weird idea. My guess is that his cult will come from all over Australia to buy his merchandise from the tents turning over a serious amount of revenue. He might have come as part of the Dylan package, a travelling motivator to keep Dylan switched on? As for the Koala bears, they are super cute and should be welcomed to the festival with open arms, I remember one at the last venue by the apra tent, he looked like he was having a great time.

I think someone has corrected you (or another poster) already, but it's TIM Robbins (the actor/singer) NOT TONY Robbins (the annoying self-help dude) coming to Bluesfest.
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:03:19 AM

distinctlyme wrote:
I think someone has corrected you (or another poster) already, but it's TIM Robbins (the actor/singer) NOT TONY Robbins (the annoying self-help dude) coming to Bluesfest.

And Maccain09 has a history of winding folks up.......:-)
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:24:44 AM

I dunno - just did a wkipedia check on this Tim Robbins guy- nada re his musical projects or skills, on the other hand if you wiki Steven Segal there's links to his 2 albums, references to his soundtrack work and confirmation that he's worked with the likes of Stevie Wonder, the fact he's also done adds in Australia for Carlton indicates to me that we just might see the Mojo Priest shred it up in the mojo tent. Alligator Ass is now a blues classic and has been covered by none other than BB King songs from the crystal cave is a classic blues album and a must have for every serous fan. Tony Robbins might be good, I suppose I'll have to keep an open mind his website makes him out to be some sort of Superhero, he's definitely changed more than a few lives..
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:53:10 AM

Maccain09 wrote:
I dunno - just did a wkipedia check on this Tim Robbins guy- nada re his musical projects or skills, on the other hand if you wiki Steven Segal there's links to his 2 albums, references to his soundtrack work and confirmation that he's worked with the likes of Stevie Wonder, the fact he's also done adds in Australia for Carlton indicates to me that we just might see the Mojo Priest shred it up in the mojo tent. Alligator Ass is now a blues classic and has been covered by none other than BB King songs from the crystal cave is a classic blues album and a must have for every serous fan. Tony Robbins might be good, I suppose I'll have to keep an open mind his website makes him out to be some sort of Superhero, he's definitely changed more than a few lives..

http://www.sydneyfestival.org.au/2010/Music/Rogues-Gallery/

End of discussion

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:32:49 AM

Had no idea Baby Gramps was in Sydney - how did I miss this? - This show looks unbelievable. It merits a 7th day! It’s a great idea bringing awareness to the public of the plight of the Pirate in the days where the seas where no place for the faint hearted etc. I'd pay $160 for a 2 hr. show to see this any day, pure genius - I'd love to see some reviews, especially for Marianne Faithful, As for us land lovers I think its timely reminder to warn everyone about the dangers of not wearing insect repellent at the fest by Africa's answer to Marianne Faithful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NfpUgk_W6Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:01:23 AM
Groups: Guest

Maccain09 wrote:
I'd love to see some reviews, especially for Marianne Faithful

When it comes to Marianne Faithful's performance(as well as a few others) in this show the reviews were far from kind.
http://www.irishecho.com.au/2010/01/28/review-rogues-gallery-sydney-opera-house-jan-28-2010/1989

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Blog.aspx?&blogentryid=584789&showcomments=true

At least someone enjoyed the show http://www.theaureview.com/sydney/rogues-gallery-sydney-opera-house-forecourt-28-01-10