Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Next announcement? Options
fscully330000
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 12:08:19 PM
Groups: Member

Boysfest?

I realise that this heading is provocative, and I don’t mean to be that harsh. I know that there was a response to the first announcement along the lines of wait and see. I also realise that in negotiating with artists that there are a lot of balancing acts in terms of budgets and promotions and when an artist will be announced for the best commercial impact.
Having said that, looking at the current poster - the top eight promoted artists are male, with Tash Sultana as the only female. Compared to what I’ve seen in past Bluesfests, the absence of headlining female artists is an anomaly. I hope that the balance will be redressed before April.
I’m hoping that maybe someone like Florence and the Machine can’t be announced until her current tour ends lest it impact on ticket sales. Likewise that Courtney Barnett cannot be announced until Laneways completes or Amy Shark and Missy Higgins can only be announced after the Winton festival has sold enough tickets.
I don’t have an exhaustive list of suggested names - P.J. Harvey, Roseanne Cash, Lucinda Williams, the Indigo Girls, HAIM would be good to see and hear. Patti Smith, Bonnie Raitt, Rhiannon Giddens from the recent past. Im sure there are many others. Kate Bush is probably out of the question, but she is of the level I hope to see. It’s not aimed at any artist already announced, its a broad church in terms of musical taste and each to their own, but I still felt the need to raise this.

I hope that this post is quickly redundant. I have faith in the organisers, but I just want to voice a concern
littlewillie
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 4:27:19 PM

fscully330000 wrote:
Boysfest?

I realise that this heading is provocative, and I don’t mean to be that harsh. I know that there was a response to the first announcement along the lines of wait and see. I also realise that in negotiating with artists that there are a lot of balancing acts in terms of budgets and promotions and when an artist will be announced for the best commercial impact.
Having said that, looking at the current poster - the top eight promoted artists are male, with Tash Sultana as the only female. Compared to what I’ve seen in past Bluesfests, the absence of headlining female artists is an anomaly. I hope that the balance will be redressed before April.
I’m hoping that maybe someone like Florence and the Machine can’t be announced until her current tour ends lest it impact on ticket sales. Likewise that Courtney Barnett cannot be announced until Laneways completes or Amy Shark and Missy Higgins can only be announced after the Winton festival has sold enough tickets.
I don’t have an exhaustive list of suggested names - P.J. Harvey, Roseanne Cash, Lucinda Williams, the Indigo Girls, HAIM would be good to see and hear. Patti Smith, Bonnie Raitt, Rhiannon Giddens from the recent past. Im sure there are many others. Kate Bush is probably out of the question, but she is of the level I hope to see. It’s not aimed at any artist already announced, its a broad church in terms of musical taste and each to their own, but I still felt the need to raise this.

I hope that this post is quickly redundant. I have faith in the organisers, but I just want to voice a concern

This topic has been done to death.

Peter has previously stated that a lot of female artists have been approached and are either unavailable at Easter or not interested.

The female contingent this year is looking pretty impressive to me anyway..
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 6:09:43 PM

littlewillie wrote:
fscully330000 wrote:
Boysfest?

Peter has previously stated that a lot of female artists have been approached and are either unavailable at Easter or not interested.

Yep....have to agree. I was concerned early, but more out of my love for female artists that may not fit into the "headliner" category (Samantha Fish, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Larkin Poe, Courtney B etc). Some have been named already which is great. However, I think it needs to be said that we need this level of female artist, as the more exposure they get, the more we will get to know them and appreciate their supreme talents. It is not always about popularity and how that makes them into "headliners".

Let's not forget that many of us tend to find the best performances at Bluesfest are those lesser-known/surprise/smaller ones. .....and the intimacy we get when we don't have to jostle with fifty million people in the larger stages often is quite refreshing.

....and to title it Boysfest? Even with a question mark is rather insulting IMHO.

Perhaps "Whogivesadamnwhichsextheyareaslongastheyaregood-fest" may be the way to go? As is mostly the case with the BF's I have been to.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
donny20
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 9:02:25 PM

Forget the women element,let`s get some ''blues'' into this festival.What have Tash Sultana and Courtney Bartnett types got in common with the blues,simple answer-absolutely nothing.
valkrie
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 7:33:25 AM

I agree Donny, more blues please. You gotta keep the blues lovers happy and keep us coming back. After all it’s called a blues festival.
mccin0000
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 8:41:42 AM

One thing Barnett and Sultana have in common is that in 3 yrs time Tripple J will have moved onto their next social justice case to support and those two will be distant memories like Madison Avenue and Bardot.

Banannaramma are playing this week, can they hang around until bluesfest? - would be great to see them added to the line up to please those looking for a bit more headline girl power as opposed to acts people actually want to see.
festivalfreak
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 10:07:10 AM

Would hate to think the rest of the line up would be chosen based on pressure to meet a gender criteria. Very ready for some more blues announcements!

andrewfuller620000 wrote:
littlewillie wrote:
fscully330000 wrote:
Boysfest?

Yep....have to agree. I was concerned early, but more out of my love for female artists that may not fit into the "headliner" category (Samantha Fish, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Larkin Poe, Courtney B etc). Some have been named already which is great. However, I think it needs to be said that we need this level of female artist, as the more exposure they get, the more we will get to know them and appreciate their supreme talents. It is not always about popularity and how that makes them into "headliners".

Let's not forget that many of us tend to find the best performances at Bluesfest are those lesser-known/surprise/smaller ones. .....and the intimacy we get when we don't have to jostle with fifty million people in the larger stages often is quite refreshing.

....and to title it Boysfest? Even with a question mark is rather insulting IMHO.

Perhaps "Whogivesadamnwhichsextheyareaslongastheyaregood-fest" may be the way to go? As is mostly the case with the BF's I have been to.
humanracin
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 4:52:22 PM

fscully330000 wrote:
Boysfest?

I really don't think there's much left to add, especially big names male or female.
I would have loved to see them take more risks this year, my top picks would have been.
Bjork, Massive Attack feat Liz Fraser, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Yola, Hollie Cook, Slowdive, Natalie Merchant, Hope Sandoval, Neneh Cherry, Beth Orton, Sade, Carleen Anderson, Jhelisa Anderson, Diana Ross, MIA, Sharon van Etten, Jessica Pratt, Soley, Agnes Obel, Susanne Sundfor, Emilana Torrini.
rstroud
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 8:42:05 PM

valkrie wrote:
I agree Donny, more blues please. You gotta keep the blues lovers happy and keep us coming back. After all it’s called a blues festival.

Agreed Valkrie

Jazz, funk, rhythm and blues and soul - that's all we ask for !

Rod S
kielsteel
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:28:31 AM

Well Thursday is definitely still short a headliner so we atleast have 1 big name to come, and thursday is usually catered towards the younger crowd...
BC1987
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:36:18 AM

was announced on facebook that there will be a very exciting boomerang festival announcement coming tomorrow, any ideas who might be on this one.
reader57
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:36:33 AM

Maybe early Saturday/Sunday will need a tweak. Brian Nankervis is on ABC this morning saying that SBS is cancelling Rockwizz. Hopefully after Easter!!

Edit: Confirmed SBS is parting ways but the show goes on in live format only. (unless another broadcaster takes it up)
marksmithmusic0000
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:58:56 AM

83 artists last year, only 64 so far this year...there's still a bit to come
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 11:13:46 AM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:

.....and to quailify, I meant that I agree about the female part of the lineup looking pretty damn good already.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
pod2006
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 12:46:24 PM

I am sure Mavis Staples has performed with some great female RNB soul survivors over the years, and knows whose still performing. Am curious to hear who she might recommend should be invited.
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 2:48:59 PM

Chaka Khan would be great, she's releasing a new album this month too.
New song is...funky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecY5iZn6B0
fscully330000
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 4:46:32 PM

A couple of responses. Firstly Courtney Barnett and Tash Sultana are worlds apart musically, and I think Courtney Barnett would fit into most "blues" labels. Secondly, Im not discrediting any artist signed up, but look at the poster regarding the top acts, genders an issue that needs to be addressed. It is 2019, this is the time of metoo, a greater effort is required.(That is not to say a greater effort hasn't been made) Some of the responses here sound a bit like the reasons floated by the Federal Liberal Party as to why they don't have greater female representation.
I'd also note that, as I said, I hope the announcements to come will make my post redundant. I agree we were told to wait and see, its just that time is running out. I know of a major act that will be announced soon and I am very happy they're coming I just hope that there is a major female act or two or three to accompany them.
I will just quote from the Guardian's review of the recent Mona Foma festival in Tasmania (I know its got a lot more visual and performance arts aside from music and it aint the bluesfest, but the point made by the reviewer should not be lost on us)
"... the most apparent fact of Mona Foma: the number of female acts. From main stage guitar heroes like Barnett and Ewah’s Emma Waters to Hex Debt, Canine and Les Filles de Illighadad. There is the beautifully punishing electro of Japanese duo Group A, a dance piece of unparalleled intensity from Canadian choreographer, Dana Gingras, and DJ after DJ after DJ at the Faux Mo parties.
When Barnett plays Depreston – my 10-year-old niece’s favourite song – two girl-tweens pop up the front to film it. Watching them, watching her, I feel so hopeful and happy in the certainty that “the future is female” isn’t just a T-shirt slogan"
gertyson0000
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 5:18:04 PM

fscully330000 wrote:
A couple of responses. Firstly Courtney Barnett and Tash Sultana are worlds apart musically, and I think Courtney Barnett would fit into most "blues" labels. Secondly, Im not discrediting any artist signed up, but look at the poster regarding the top acts, genders an issue that needs to be addressed. It is 2019, this is the time of metoo, a greater effort is required.(That is not to say a greater effort hasn't been made) Some of the responses here sound a bit like the reasons floated by the Federal Liberal Party as to why they don't have greater female representation.
I'd also note that, as I said, I hope the announcements to come will make my post redundant. I agree we were told to wait and see, its just that time is running out. I know of a major act that will be announced soon and I am very happy they're coming I just hope that there is a major female act or two or three to accompany them.
I will just quote from the Guardian's review of the recent Mona Foma festival in Tasmania (I know its got a lot more visual and performance arts aside from music and it aint the bluesfest, but the point made by the reviewer should not be lost on us)
"... the most apparent fact of Mona Foma: the number of female acts. From main stage guitar heroes like Barnett and Ewah’s Emma Waters to Hex Debt, Canine and Les Filles de Illighadad. There is the beautifully punishing electro of Japanese duo Group A, a dance piece of unparalleled intensity from Canadian choreographer, Dana Gingras, and DJ after DJ after DJ at the Faux Mo parties.
When Barnett plays Depreston – my 10-year-old niece’s favourite song – two girl-tweens pop up the front to film it. Watching them, watching her, I feel so hopeful and happy in the certainty that “the future is female” isn’t just a T-shirt slogan"

Lol maccain you’ve done it again!

You should get your mate to play to balance out the social justice warrior quota. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SaolVEJEjV4

We aren’t slaves to metoo or maga its 2019 - just be nice to each other.
regards
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:21:40 PM

Are we going through this rubbish again.

If acts or artists are good or fairly promising and have a strong chance to be considered Blues or decent roots bring em on.

I do not care less if they are black, red, white or yellow or any other bloody colour, or if they are male or female. Or Collingwood supporters

If they can play sing or perform all is good.

BC1987
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:43:25 PM

as i mentioned above, we will be getting the boomerang announcement in the morning, any prominent indigenous artists you would like to see make an appearance at the festival? i personally would like to see kev carmody make a return to the festival.