Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Next announcement? Options
gertyson0000
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:33:58 AM
Groups: Member

The kids like six60. As for the experimental artist from Melbs she must have signed a multi year deal - she was hot last year, people watched and left she will be on 4pm this year and will be on at noon on the Monday next year warming the crowd up for Hat Fitz and Cara.
mccin0000
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:20:55 AM

The best thing about this announcement is that it notes that there are more to come...

great news keep em coming. Glad the locals are now out of the way.

zabadooba
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:13:17 AM

A couple of years ago we had a specifically blues oriented announcement. One can hope that for a festival that is nominally identified as a blues based festival one of the remaining announcements might be akin to that one.
I still think that there is room for a significant name to be slotted into the Saturday and Sunday schedules. Hopefully now that the youngsters have been catered for the remaining announcements will cater more for the old farts like myself.
Still, as is always the case with Bluesfest, out of the 5 stages available there is always somebody you can find of interest. If not then you have too narrow a view. I (mostly) like the eclectic mix on offer and each year stumble across an act or two who are new to me.
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:58:12 AM

Another great announcement IMHO. Lots of 'roots' stylings for young & old alike.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:20:49 PM

zabadooba wrote:
So the announcement is out and...nobody's saying anything?
My daughter's have both been telling me about six60 for a long time whilst accepting they're in their 20s and their taste generally befits their age I'll take a listen - although the fact my 7 yr old granddaughter likes them too doesn't raise my expectations lol
There's still room for some big names to be added (one hopes) and hopefully acts that fit into the bluesfest tradition of.. well..blues oriented

Been working all day !!!

The announcement hasn't got the "big" name but I'm more than happy with it. I know nothing about Six60, Ocean Alley and Amoru Tribe but they all sound pretty good to me. All now listed in red on the schedule which means I'll definitely see them. Tash Sultana is without doubt an absolutely brilliant musician but I just can't get into the one person orchestra thing on stage. I saw Harts a couple of years ago and he was like Tash, just a wonderful musician but I stayed for very little of his show. Definitely wasn't going to go back and see him last year but I ended up tagging along with my friends for the last half of his show and I was just amazed. He had a band with him and it and it was just brilliant.

So all in all, another announcement to nicely add to the already wonderful lineup.
MikePorta
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 8:44:47 PM

The lineup is fine but lacks that extra bit of bite without a major headliner.Still makes for a good social outing.
donny20
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:43:24 AM

Blues is blues.This term ''roots '' music makes me laugh.Any goose singing about ''shopping trolleys'' or ''hub caps ''can be a ''roots '' musician.A long way from Mississippi.
reader57
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:52:45 AM

I would think that the timing of the announcements along with the announcements of the new Headliners would be tied into current ticket sales.

It would be easy to tie the release of a "Big" name playing on Sunday night to increased sales of Sunday tickets but that would need to be balanced with the sale of tickets across all the Festival days.

So it would be a fine balancing act. Leave it too late and you risk sales, announce too early and you get the dollars spent in only part of the Festival timetable.
This does not apply to those of us who go to the Festival for the five days rather than to see a specific act.

Just on the subject of announcements, I will not be entering the raffle just announced. If I won, it would mean I would not be attending the Festival at all because I would be going to the side shows happening at the same time.
donny20
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 8:17:37 AM

Notice on my 2011 Bluesfest poster Paul Kelly is on the 8th.line of betting,this year he`s on the top line of betting as a headliner.Has Paul had a huge surge in popularity,or is this telling us something else.
marksmithmusic0000
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 8:43:27 AM

I think Thursday night needs something and so do Saturday & Sunday.
Ben & Jack will have very full tents otherwise!!
bonddm20020000
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 9:21:33 AM

donny20 wrote:
Notice on my 2011 Bluesfest poster Paul Kelly is on the 8th.line of betting,this year he`s on the top line of betting as a headliner.Has Paul had a huge surge in popularity,or is this telling us something else.

A lot of bandwagoners have certainly piled on in recent years.
I remember seeing him play to a less than half empty Collingwood Town Hall in 1995, around the same time that Robben Ford and the Blue Line sold the joint out!
zabadooba
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 2:45:44 PM

IMO Paul Kelly is one the best storytellers in song around and certainly deserves a prominent place on the billing.
That said given the build-up there was last year for the 30th whilst the line-up is good and there is more than plenty on offer it generally does lack the 'wow' factor.
Personally, I'm hoping for an injection of solid blues guitar artists still to be announced
donny20
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 8:01:23 PM

Certainly agree Zabadooba Paul kelly is a terrific talent,but you`re probably like me,you`re seen him a lot of times.He doesn`t stand the hairs on the back of my neck like a Buddy Guy,Jeff Beck,or Joe Bonamassa,then again I like you love electric Blues players.Not enough on this bill.Love my 60`s/70`s legends too,not many of them at all.To me it`s a solid line up,it does bat quite deep,but not a great line-up.But opinions are like a.......,everyone`s got one.
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 12:54:59 PM

donny20 wrote:
Certainly agree Zabadooba Paul kelly is a terrific talent,but you`re probably like me,you`re seen him a lot of times.He doesn`t stand the hairs on the back of my neck like a Buddy Guy,Jeff Beck,or Joe Bonamassa,then again I like you love electric Blues players.Not enough on this bill.Love my 60`s/70`s legends too,not many of them at all.To me it`s a solid line up,it does bat quite deep,but not a great line-up.But opinions are like a.......,everyone`s got one.

Time to bring back John Fogerty, Crosby Stills and Nash, Earth Wind and Fire, 10cc, Mic Conway, Grace Jones ...

Would also love to see Van Morrison and Peter Frampton on the lineup and of course, Eddie Vedder

Pretty please Mr Noble

regards
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:02:22 PM

donny20 wrote:

Paul is now cross generational.

IE He appeals to people of a variety of ages, and he always puts on a fine show.

He play at the Falls and then goes and headlines his own show at the Bowl

He has put in the hard yards and deserves to be where he is.

It is hard to imagine that Gudinski had to really push hard to get him to put out Songs From The South back in 97 or whatever, which then set him up for life
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 9:03:49 PM

regards wrote:
donny20 wrote:

Paul is now cross generational.

IE He appeals to people of a variety of ages, and he always puts on a fine show.

He play at the Falls and then goes and headlines his own show at the Bowl

He has put in the hard yards and deserves to be where he is.

It is hard to imagine that Gudinski had to really push hard to get him to put out Songs From The South back in 97 or whatever, which then set him up for life

He's pretty awesome. Watching him now on the ABC doing a concert outside the Sydney Opera House with Vika and Linda and his nephew Dan on lead guitar.
zabadooba
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:54:04 AM

Ringo Starr's All Star Band just announced Japan tour that finishes up on April 11 before US leg in August. After the success of the Blues Bros and Booker T's Review - Ringo's band, which features Colin Hay, would fit in really well
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:47:09 AM

zabadooba wrote:
Ringo Starr's All Star Band just announced Japan tour that finishes up on April 11 before US leg in August. After the success of the Blues Bros and Booker T's Review - Ringo's band, which features Colin Hay, would fit in really well

Aside from the Boomerang artists, I’m not sure that there’s much left to announce!

MikePorta
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:20:34 PM

Seriously,Ringo would have the audience participate in a hand clapping ritual.
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 3:30:54 PM

bonddm20020000 wrote:
zabadooba wrote:

Aside from the Boomerang artists, I’m not sure that there’s much left to announce!

I still reckon there's about another 20 or so to be named, excluding Boomerang.....and I reckon there's at least 2 mid to high range headliners in that too.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."