Groups: Member

regards wrote:

Or Collingwood supporters

Hey...hold on a minute !!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 9:16:36 AM

Sorry to say but I think it's a very average lineup this year so far .. I was expecting a lot of "wows" this year being the big 30th anniversary and all.

Iggy Pop is the only one I'm really excited about.

Oh well..

nelson7007
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 9:32:00 AM

Boomerang line up just announced - 16 more artists. Thinking that will be that.

Overall good line up but not memorable as befits such a milestone. And not enough blues which is odd. I can only refer to NO Jazzfest for a line up worthy of marking such an anniversary.

Am certain organisers tried their best for bigger names but just couldn’t compete. Hard times for festivals everywhere but the costs for bringing a Stevie, a Neil or countless other biggies are simply too high.

Maybe BF could say as much and help silence the critics but Comms not their strength.

Anyway, looking forward to Easter and five days of musical bliss.

andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 9:38:04 AM

I must be easy to please then. Gary Clark jr., Marcus King Band, Larkin Poe, Tex, Samantha Fish, MSO, Flogging Molly, Iggy, Backsliders, Russel Morris, Fantastic Negrito, Ray Lamontagne, Hozier, George Clinton, Nathaniel Rateliff, Kurt Vile, The Saboteurs and even our own Hussy Hicks & Mojo Juju.......more than enough to justify it as a great festival for me. ....and I suspect that there is still at least one more biggie to come, amongst 15 to 20 more. And I keep looking at the artists thus far, and it is such a solid lineup.......add St Paul, Elephant Sessions, Allen Stone, Snarky Puppy, Paul Kelly, Archie Roach, Baker Boy, Imelda May, Ben Harper, Tash Sultana, David Gray........it just keeps going......

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 9:49:34 AM

nelson7007 wrote:
Boomerang line up just announced - 16 more artists. Thinking that will be that.

Overall good line up but not memorable as befits such a milestone. And not enough blues which is odd. I can only refer to NO Jazzfest for a line up worthy of marking such an anniversary.

Am certain organisers tried their best for bigger names but just couldn’t compete. Hard times for festivals everywhere but the costs for bringing a Stevie, a Neil or countless other biggies are simply too high.

Maybe BF could say as much and help silence the critics but Comms not their strength.

Anyway, looking forward to Easter and five days of musical bliss.

I still suspect there to be another 15 or so artists to be announced, possibly even another "blues" announcement. The festival isn't on until late April, so time for one or two announcements yet.

....and half of that Boomerang announcement had previously been named anyway.

littlewillie
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 9:50:44 AM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:
I must be easy to please then. Gary Clark jr., Marcus King Band, Larkin Poe, Tex, Samantha Fish, MSO, Flogging Molly, Iggy, Backsliders, Russel Morris, Fantastic Negrito, Ray Lamontagne, Hozier, George Clinton, Nathaniel Rateliff, Kurt Vile, The Saboteurs and even our own Hussy Hicks & Mojo Juju.......more than enough to justify it as a great festival for me. ....and I suspect that there is still at least one more biggie to come, amongst 15 to 20 more. And I keep looking at the artists thus far, and it is such a solid lineup.......add St Paul, Elephant Sessions, Allen Stone, Snarky Puppy, Paul Kelly, Archie Roach, Baker Boy, Imelda May, Ben Harper, Tash Sultana, David Gray........it just keeps going......

Exactly my thoughts

There are literally dozens I can't wait to see.

Whingers are always gonna find an excuse
littlewillie
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 10:31:27 AM

Boomerang line up looks solid too . Lots to get excited about in there.
reader57
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 10:46:25 AM

I'm happy! There is enough there for me to have a good time at the Boomerang festival. There may be more later?
zabadooba
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 10:52:57 AM

The updated schedule still says more to be announced. I think there is at least one if not two headline acts to be announced and for what is still a nominally blues festival there is a lack of blues artists imo.
Yes, for those of us who are repeat attendees there are familiar names who have been on the bill in the past couple of years. And as much as I like (most of) them I'd rather see artists I haven't seen before as opposed to the same people year after year...and there are many to choose from who haven't been in recent years too. So
I'll have no trouble finding enough between all of the stages on all of the days to be fully entertained. But, as has been mentioned,s the way that the 30th anniversary was being talked up there is the lack of a wow factor - compare to the last couple of years regarding legends/headline names and this year is definitely lacking - Perhaps we will be surprised by a late announcement which will provide that.
If you haven't seen any of the artists then it's a great lineup. If you're a regular attendee it's a good line up. In truth there aren't many artists I'd go to see time after time but each to their own - some people only own half a dozen cds and are happy listening to the same songs all the time!

eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 11:31:29 AM

Agree with you Nelson7007

Not trying to whinge .. just telling it like it is. I have been going to Bluesfest since 2009 and can think of other years where the lineup has been better. The 2019 lineup is full of artists who have played at Bluesfest many times before.

I was hoping for something a bit more exciting and unique for the big 30th that's all

donny20
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 11:38:03 AM

Agree Eileen and others,not enough WOW factor.
repete
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 11:44:38 AM

littlewillie wrote:
andrewfuller620000 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts

There are literally dozens I can't wait to see.

Whingers are always gonna find an excuse

Plus, add Mavis, Ruthie, Keb Mo, Arlo, Tex, Vintage Trouble, Norah Jones and Meshell Ndegeocello....and go and check out War and Treaty. I think some of us need to adjust our medication

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 11:45:14 AM

zabadooba wrote:
The updated schedule still says more to be announced. I think there is at least one if not two headline acts to be announced and for what is still a nominally blues festival there is a lack of blues artists imo.
Yes, for those of us who are repeat attendees there are familiar names who have been on the bill in the past couple of years. And as much as I like (most of) them I'd rather see artists I haven't seen before as opposed to the same people year after year...and there are many to choose from who haven't been in recent years too. So
I'll have no trouble finding enough between all of the stages on all of the days to be fully entertained. But, as has been mentioned,s the way that the 30th anniversary was being talked up there is the lack of a wow factor - compare to the last couple of years regarding legends/headline names and this year is definitely lacking - Perhaps we will be surprised by a late announcement which will provide that.
If you haven't seen any of the artists then it's a great lineup. If you're a regular attendee it's a good line up. In truth there aren't many artists I'd go to see time after time but each to their own - some people only own half a dozen cds and are happy listening to the same songs all the time!

I own over 3000 CD's and I am perfectly happy seeing bands of quality over again. When there are clashes, it means that if I have seen them before, or very recently, then I can make that choice to skip them.

Having said that, it would be great to see some more of the guitar-based blues players (for instance, Philip Sayce, KWS, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Jonny Lang, JD Simo etc)...

mccin0000
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 1:11:50 PM

30/40/50 whats the difference?

BF for most is a Big smoke up, put on the fake rasta wig eat a few cookies pass out in the food court wake up repeat for 5 days.

My hearing went years ago to be honest I can’t hear jack, I’m there for the vibrations physical and mental waves of subliminal messaging.

I don’t care who’s playing at the best of times. I would like to see Niall Young the Doobies and Roger Plant again.

You could say that all these new acts are rubbish especially the local ones. I get why they get booked and I also get why they book some of the (new) chicks as well. Yeah there’s the quotas and all that jazz but no one requests them year in year out and when they don’t get announced some clowns get their knickers in a twist. You’d be called a creep if you said you only want to see female artists who are from the US and who are African American (or Grace Jones) all these aussies and white chicks are selling something else and it aint music brother.

Man this wears me out. The line up this year looks ok, BB King played a few years back and people were saying he was old at the end of it. Opinions are like hearts – everyone has one… My heart goes out to the guy that has to organise it and also to the poo crew (especially on day 5). I went to a famous festival in england once. I had to use a ditch as the portoloo was soo unhygienic, my stomach has never been the same since. Im sick now thinking of it – its either that or the smell of dead fish from the lake im camping next to.

reader57
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 1:22:29 PM

The tenor of the forum in general seems negative. People pop up positive posts but with a proviso. It is not hard to see the writing on the wall as far as the life of the Bluesfest Forum.

You look at the Facebook page and it is poppy and inane but it attracts more interest from the administration than this tired old dog. On the Facebook page, Bluesfest will comment on comments. Sometimes with real answers but sometimes with just one word. Here we don't hear from them unless it is to wave a big stick.

I see this forum as the program the BBC did a few years ago; Grumpy Old Men/Women. We are the strange Uncle/Auntie who gets put out in the sunroom at family dinners so he/she can complain to whoever walks out there.

Sad really!
zabadooba
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 1:55:45 PM

reader57 wrote:
The tenor of the forum in general seems negative. People pop up positive posts but with a proviso. It is not hard to see the writing on the wall as far as the life of the Bluesfest Forum.

You look at the Facebook page and it is poppy and inane but it attracts more interest from the administration than this tired old dog. On the Facebook page, Bluesfest will comment on comments. Sometimes with real answers but sometimes with just one word. Hear we don't hear from them unless it is to wave a big stick.

I see this forum as the program the BBC did a few years ago; Grumpy Old Men/Women. We are the strange Uncle/Auntie who gets put out in the sunroom at family dinners so he/she can complain to whoever walks out there.

Sad really!

Generally the contributors on here appreciate more than the latest fad promoted by triple j, are actually knowledgeable about music and musicians, and put their faith in bf by attending the whole duration year on year rather than calling out to their mates
"Oh so cool puff diggy doggy doo is playing bf...we should have got a ticket for (the one day they are playing""
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 2:42:46 PM

You know....I joined this forum when I could see that there were genuine music lovers here. I am also a late comer to the festival, so feel a little "green" as far as the festival itself is concerned. I have now been coming since 2016, and look forward to coming back each year. The festival has obviously changed over the years, sometimes good, sometimes bad, no doubt. However, I have come to accept that it is what it is....not entirely blues and/or roots, but mostly so. So......live with it!!
There's still plenty to enjoy about 5 days packed with (mostly) great artists of all persuasions doing their utmost to entertain us all.

c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 5:46:06 PM

mccin0000 wrote:
30/40/50 whats the difference?

BF for most is a Big smoke up, put on the fake rasta wig eat a few cookies pass out in the food court wake up repeat for 5 days.

My hearing went years ago to be honest I can’t hear jack, I’m there for the vibrations physical and mental waves of subliminal messaging.

I don’t care who’s playing at the best of times. I would like to see Niall Young the Doobies and Roger Plant again.

You could say that all these new acts are rubbish especially the local ones. I get why they get booked and I also get why they book some of the (new) chicks as well. Yeah there’s the quotas and all that jazz but no one requests them year in year out and when they don’t get announced some clowns get their knickers in a twist. You’d be called a creep if you said you only want to see female artists who are from the US and who are African American (or Grace Jones) all these aussies and white chicks are selling something else and it aint music brother.

Man this wears me out. The line up this year looks ok, BB King played a few years back and people were saying he was old at the end of it. Opinions are like hearts – everyone has one… My heart goes out to the guy that has to organise it and also to the poo crew (especially on day 5). I went to a famous festival in england once. I had to use a ditch as the portoloo was soo unhygienic, my stomach has never been the same since. Im sick now thinking of it – its either that or the smell of dead fish from the lake im camping next to.

Finally someone speaks some sense!
Can’t count the times I’ve passed out in the food court after a smoke-up/cookie binge.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 11:17:56 PM

I really honestly seriously hope I never get to the stage where I can see a line up like Bluesfest has this year and think to myself "Nah, no wow factor for me this year". There is so much brilliant music lined up that I'm going to be in a state of musical bliss for the coming 5 days. I know without doubt that I'm going to do each day as I've done every day I've attended for the last 10 years. Each day I'm going to walk out of 2-3 tents thinking "Holy **** !! How is it even possible that they can be that good?". I'm going to walk out of 4-5 tents thinking "I really really enjoyed that" and I'm going to walk out of 1-2 tents thinking "Maybe I should have gone to one of the other tents". The Bluesfest people must scratch their heads thinking "what have you got to do to please this lot ?"

glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 11:35:23 PM

reader57 wrote:

You look at the Facebook page and it is poppy and inane but it attracts more interest from the administration than this tired old dog. On the Facebook page, Bluesfest will comment on comments. Sometimes with real answers but sometimes with just one word. Here we don't hear from them unless it is to wave a big stick.

Sad really!

I really believe there's more positive than negative but I generally agree with most of what you are saying.

If you had a really large business and you're trying to promote what you are doing and trying to sell something, in all seriousness, would you give all your detractors a big sign post just outside your business so they could all get on there and put the boot in, or whinge about sexual equality, or paid parking, or ticket prices, or tell everyone else that the quality of what your selling is sub standard. If it was my business the first thing I would do rip the ******** sign down.

It will be a sad day for the music buffs and ironically a frustrating day for the critics because they'll no longer have anywhere to vent.