Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Ragfamuffin scam continues Options
Maccain09
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:44:26 AM

Groups: Member

Following on from last years Raggamuffin scam where Wycleff Jean was advertised as performing up to the day of the event - Raggamuffin have done it again currently advertising Sean Paul as preforming, the blokes in Jamacia and has posted on his own website that he's not playing, but the promoters haven't advised punters(stealing from the public) These type of promotors are crooks/thieves/scumbags - full stop
mdorge
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 7:44:05 PM
Groups: Guest

Dan...
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 7:56:31 PM

nah sean paul definitely didn't show for any oz dates. i will admit it is very interesting form on the promoters' behalf to not tell anyone.

apparently he's going to be in new zealand though? hmm

edit: http://twitter.com/duttypaul/status/31127161641369601

The poster formerly known as Dan
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 8:44:01 PM
Groups: Administration

To link Wyclef Jean - a person of Haitian descent not coming to Australia at a time his country experienced an earthquake of cataclysmic proportions, and he felt he needed to be in his homeland
rather than to come on tour is extremely self serving in my opinion.
do you think the few dollars you paid for your ticket is more important that his being with his family at a time like that?
I think you need to take a a long hard look at your self
Maccain09
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 10:06:55 PM

Mr fourm admin, we had this discussion last year, of course Wycleff was not going to travel because of who he is/was etc but not every punter at the time was aware he pulled out as the promotors chose not to advise the paying public, and when it became apparent that he was not preforming, we in the know knew and continued to support the "festival" - but Joe Public who loved the fugees and probably had no idea of wycleffs background would have seen the the poster advertising a wycleff preformance on the week/ day of the gig, and then forked out a whopping $140 to attend might just have felt short changed, of course bluesfest deals with mr McManus and supports him, but let's be fair dinkum when someone pulls out the promoter simply sends the email to the website folk to remove the name from the bill and noone feels ripped off, it's not some dodgy kickboxing show, this is a major international music event generating hundreds of thousands of dollars, Props to McManus for the relief show, big respect as they say, but his staff making the same mistake 2 yrs in a row and not announcing major artist pulling out stinks!! Anyone that condones false advertising needs to have a good look at themselves as there was no earthquake in Sean pauls home town this weekend, he simply just didn't bother turning up and the promotors knew he wasn't coming and didn't bother telling the public, that's not cricket

mpember
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:16:33 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
To link Wyclef Jean - a person of Haitian descent not coming to Australia at a time his country experienced an earthquake of cataclysmic proportions, and he felt he needed to be in his homeland
rather than to come on tour is extremely self serving in my opinion.
do you think the few dollars you paid for your ticket is more important that his being with his family at a time like that?
I think you need to take a a long hard look at your self

While I am not suggesting that the earthquake should be ignored, I would think twice about Wyclef's actions after reading the following article:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/wyclef-jean-charitys-funny-money

It certainly suggests Wyclef's motives aren't always as altruistic as they initially appear.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 6:10:52 PM

These accusations were folowed up, and accusations, as I recal in a Pollstar report- answered and refuted.
After this time Wyclef jean attempted to run for president of Haiti.
maybe you should check more recent press on this matter and advise
BBoard Admin
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:02:23 PM

So what your saying is that Wycleff is playing ? Sunday night? Anyone that thinks he's not suitable to be a bluesfest headliner has rocks in their heads! Great addition!
mpember
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:58:30 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
maybe you should check more recent press on this matter and advise
BBoard Admin

Got any links?

The most recent articles I could find were these:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/jeans-charity-finances-under-further-scrutiny_1193313

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/wyclef_babe_bonu_9UCdU7oARekJ2HBXtlaRYK#ixzz1AIrsa18Z
bakes09
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 8:02:31 AM

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/wyclef-jean-refutes-allegations-against-his-foundation_100305306.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6992490.ece

http://blackpoliticalthought.blogspot.com/2010/01/wyclef-jean-gives-emotional-press.html - Most importantly including video about the Organisation, as well as a a speech from Wycleff.

This isn't a post in defense, just a post to show that many articles came out dated after the ones you posted, with Wycleff refuting the claims. Allegations are just allegations. Unless he is criminally charged with doing something illegal then it is unfair to charge the man as guilty. The books are open and transparent and have been externally audited and nothing has ever been proved.

bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 9:53:13 AM

It is the old ' evm Jesus wasn't popular in his own home town mentality LET'S FIND A FEW SCRAPS OF SOMETHING TO STIGMATISE SOMEONE WITH - AND THEN PAINT THEM AS
CORRUPT BASTARDS - let's not worry about the truth getting in the way of a good lie.

Wyclef Jean has been exonerated comletely of the false allegations - and continues to work dilligently for the good of the future of the peoples of Haiti through these troubling times.
Should be given a bloody medal
BBoard Admin
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 2:00:39 PM

So your announcing him right?

I said it 2 yrs ago - its high time we saw the great man in Oz !

Great addition! what night is the question.
mpember
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 10:21:40 PM

bakes09 wrote:
just a post to show that many articles came out dated after the ones you posted.

The links I posted in response to bluesfestadmin's post are from last month, the links you posted are from last year.

bakes09 wrote:
Unless he is criminally charged with doing something illegal then it is unfair to charge the man as guilty. The books are open and transparent and have been externally audited and nothing has ever been proved.

I don't consider a simple statement by the accused to hold as much weight as the "open and transparent" books which clearly show him receiving large payments for appearances on behalf of the charity. The payments made to himself may be perfectly legal. Morally questionable, but legal.

bluesfestadmin wrote:
let's not worry about the truth getting in the way of a good lie.

Are you suggesting that the documents outlining payments made by the charity to Wyclef are fake? If they are, then I will re-evaluate my opinion of his actions. If you are simply suggesting that payments such as this are acceptable, then we will just have to agree to disagree.
bakes09
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 7:03:30 AM

My links are older yes - I apologise.