Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

new email says 1st announcement in a few weeks ! Options
Kowalksi
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 11:25:49 AM
Groups: Member

hifromtomorrow wrote:
A lot of commentary about the dearth of female artists in the first line up.
Going to be interesting to see a) if BF reply to that, and b) what that reply is.
A lot of negative commentary from female artists who've played BF in the past about that first announcement.

Yes. And where are the Asian artists? Because you know, they are a large and growing percentage of the population in australia, let alone in the world.

Also, i won't stand for a politically one sided lineup. The bulk of these artists appear to represent the left wing of the political sphere. Unbelievable.

Sorry to be faceitious. Power to the people. Well done bluesfest for a great first announcement!
Aussiecroc
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 12:23:00 PM

As usual Kowalkski spot on! Great announcement Bluesfest!!!
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 4:52:59 PM

Kowalksi wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:
Going to be interesting to see a) if BF reply to that, and b) what that reply is.
A lot of negative commentary from female artists who've played BF in the past about that first announcement.

Yes. And where are the Asian artists? Because you know, they are a large and growing percentage of the population in australia, let alone in the world.

Also, i won't stand for a politically one sided lineup. The bulk of these artists appear to represent the left wing of the political sphere. Unbelievable.

Sorry to be faceitious. Power to the people. Well done bluesfest for a great first announcement!

Your confection of other imbalances into the gender imbalance is noted.
That doesn't change the fact there is a gender imbalance.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 7:11:23 PM

hifromtomorrow wrote:
Kowalksi wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:

List your 45 female acts that have that “holy shit” factor required to satisfy a Bluesfest audience.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 7:26:47 PM

Yep
Agree with Skot again.

When they go low-we go high.
repete
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 9:13:01 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:
Kowalksi wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:

List your 45 female acts that have that “holy shit” factor required to satisfy a Bluesfest audience.

Only 45?? Geez, they should let you out more Skotty....laughs!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 5:16:11 AM

repete wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:
Kowalksi wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:

Only 45?? Geez, they should let you out more Skotty....laughs!!!

There’s usually around 90 acts? Correct me if I’m wrong?

Dear Skot,
steveakers
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 7:57:01 AM

skot20_58 wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:
Kowalksi wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling with a few. If I recycle a few names that have played Bluesfest recently I make no apologies. There's also a few in here that are long overdue.

Patti Smith
Joan Armatrading
Deborah Harry
Tracy Chapman
Deborah Conway
Chrissie Hynde
Orianthi
Ani Difranco
Buffy Sainte-Marie
Linda Perry

I don't think it would be hard to add 35 names to this list.

mccin0000
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 9:53:54 AM

Sounds like a roll call in an old folks home.

Patti Smith – found her very dull the other year – anticlimactic.
Joan Armatrading – hasn’t had a hit in 30 yrs.
Deborah Harry – hasn’t had a hit in 30 yrs
Tracy Chapman – hasn’t had a hit in 30 yrs.
Deborah Conway – who?
Chrissie Hynde - - Don’t get me wrong but didn’t she lose the plot with the audience a few weeks ago –
Orianthi - ?
Ani Difranco - ?
Buffy Sainte-Marie – cant see her shifting loads of tickets.
Linda Perry – one hit wonder that now writes songs for artists we can hear on kiss fm.

Saying all that might be nice to see Tracey shes as she still might still have it.

There are very few female artists that would attract attention.

Only one relevant one stands out to mine and that would be St Vincent

Rhiannon Giddens is amazing and will fill the jambalaya but isn’t a show closer.

We had a few female headliners last year none of them really blew it out of the park.

Sultana played to half empty tents last year. And Fugee lady annoyed everyone.

Political correctness will be the death of this festival. Where are all the right wing artists? What about hillsong Utd – they are one of australias most successful live bands surely they deserve a crack?

Or lets just leave the director hire acts that the people that support bluesfest want to see.

Alternatively bring Grace Jones back and shut these muppets up.
repete
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 10:22:41 AM

steveakers wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:
Kowalksi wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling with a few. If I recycle a few names that have played Bluesfest recently I make no apologies. There's also a few in here that are long overdue.

Patti Smith
Joan Armatrading
Deborah Harry
Tracy Chapman
Deborah Conway
Chrissie Hynde
Orianthi
Ani Difranco
Buffy Sainte-Marie
Linda Perry

Mccain's lost the plot but that's why we love him. If I say Beyonce the dinosaurs on this board will start spluttering and choking on their weeties but she would be the single biggest act in the history of bluesfest if ever she were to appear (which she won't coz fest can't afford her).

So I'll add a few more just to kick things along (and bearing in mind that there's plenty of acts at bluesfest that are far from "hitting it outta the park territory):

Roseanne Cash
Emmylou Harris
Grace Jones
Cassandra Wilson
Erica Falls
Irma Thomas
PJ Harvey
Sinead O'Connor
Oumou Sangare
Neneh Cherry
Hope Sandoval
Alison Krauss
Samantha Fish
Lorena McKennit
Janella Monae
Regina Spector
Lucinda Williams
Angelique Kidjo
Shemekia Copeland
Marianne Faithfull

...next??

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
kielsteel
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 10:40:27 AM

i dont think we need to even up the gender split, but the female performers i would love to see announced...

Alanis Morrissette

Blues Pills (SWEEDEN) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6p2R8jaUW0

Amy Shark (No 1 Album in the country right now)

Beth Hart (i know shes touring in Feb but convince her to stay for a holiday)

SATE (formerly Saidah Baba Talibah)

Carrie Underwood ( also touring this year but get her back)
greybeard
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 10:42:24 AM

Playing Shemekia Copeland's new album - American's Child
Note - Alligator still send CDs to Australia ( what is GST ? ) - order early and you may well get a signed copy

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 11:15:51 AM

mccin0000 wrote:

Rhiannon Giddens is amazing and will fill the jambalaya but isn’t a show closer.

When was Rhiannon Giddens’ last hit?!
You requested Ray Davies in another thread. His last hit was 1983!
Anyway, I’m off to brush up on the Top 40’s of this decade so I can decide who to pencil in for Bluesfest in 2019!
mccin0000
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 12:20:14 PM

bonddm20020000 wrote:
mccin0000 wrote:

When was Rhiannon Gidden’s last hit?!
Anyway, I’m off to brush up on the Top 40’s of this decade so I can decide who to pencil in for Bluesfest in 2019!

Rhiannon has a Top 10 hit last year in the US with Kill a Word - a quick Bing search will confirm that.. she’s been nominated for Grammys every realise over the last few years, hit with the critics and is a relevant artist.

Ray is still relevant he’s actively creating new music.

Blondie and some of these other shelias preform tribute shows to the artists they were 30 odd yrs ago.

Rays recent albums have been big hits with the rock press. Looking forward to seeing him next Easter.

skot20_58
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 12:35:13 PM

repete wrote:
steveakers wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:
Kowalksi wrote:
hifromtomorrow wrote:

Patti Smith
Joan Armatrading
Deborah Harry
Tracy Chapman
Deborah Conway
Chrissie Hynde
Orianthi
Ani Difranco
Buffy Sainte-Marie
Linda Perry

Mccain's lost the plot but that's why we love him. If I say Beyonce the dinosaurs on this board will start spluttering and choking on their weeties but she would be the single biggest act in the history of bluesfest if ever she were to appear (which she won't coz fest can't afford her).

So I'll add a few more just to kick things along (and bearing in mind that there's plenty of acts at bluesfest that are far from "hitting it outta the park territory):

Roseanne Cash
Emmylou Harris
Grace Jones
Cassandra Wilson
Erica Falls
Irma Thomas
PJ Harvey
Sinead O'Connor
Oumou Sangare
Neneh Cherry
Hope Sandoval
Alison Krauss
Samantha Fish
Lorena McKennit
Janella Monae
Regina Spector
Lucinda Williams
Angelique Kidjo
Shemekia Copeland
Marianne Faithfull

...next??

That’s a great list. Emmylou 👍

Dear Skot,
bonddm20020000
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 12:40:51 PM

mccin0000 wrote:
bonddm20020000 wrote:
mccin0000 wrote:

When was Rhiannon Giddens’ last hit?!

Rhiannon has a Top 10 hit last year in the US with Kill a Word - a quick Bing search will confirm that.. she’s been nominated for Grammys every realise over the last few years, hit with the critics and is a relevant artist.

Ray is still relevant he’s actively creating new music.

Blondie and some of these other shelias preform tribute shows to the artists they were 30 odd yrs ago.

Rays recent albums have been big hits with the rock press. Looking forward to seeing him next Easter.

Sounds to me like different rules apply dependent on whether you like the artist or not.
A song (Kill A Word) written by someone else (Eric Church), for their album, that she happens to duet on, also constitutes a hit for her?!
You neglected to mention that it was only a top 10 hit on a couple of Billboard’s Country charts and achieved a whopping 71 on the mainstream charts!

You criticise Blondie for being a glorified tribute act, yet Ray Davies’ most recent concert featured 2 newish songs and 18 by The Kinks, 17 of which were from the 60’s and/or early 70’s!
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ray-davies/2015/southsea-common-portsmouth-england-53f70f49.html

Anyway, I’m now off to brush up on what the critics/rock press currently favour so I can decide who to pencil in for Bluesfest in 2019!
humanracin
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 4:04:58 PM

DOLLY PARTON
STEVIE NICKS... Fleetwood Mac
KATE BUSH
BJORK
MADONNA (currently making a Fado inspired world music album, you can laugh but would draw a massive crowd...but probably way too expensive)
ANNIE LENNOX... Eurythmics
Emmylou Harris
ABBA (I'm including bands with female vocalists)
BREEDERS
Belly
ENYA
ALANIS MORISSETTE
Irma Thomas
Mavis Staples
Joan Baez
TORI AMOS
PJ HARVEY
Marianne Faithfull
SINEAD O'CONNOR
NENEH CHERRY
NATALIE MERCHANT
Judy Collins
Patti Smith
Cassandra Wilson
REGINA SPECTOR
BLONDIE
Pretenders
Buffy Sainte-Marie
Angelique Kidjo
JOANNA NEWSOM
ARETHA FRANKLIN
Joan Jett
Olivia Newton John
CYNDI LAUPER
BEYONCE
Roberta Flack
GRACE JONES
The B52s
St Vincent
TRACEY THORN
LIZ FRASER... Cocteau Twins
DEAD CAN DANCE
FIONA APPLE
Carleen Anderson
Jhelisa
SIOUXSIE SIOUX
Bonnie Raitt
Tracey Chapman
KD LANG
Joan Armatrading
Tanita Tikaram
Loreena McKennitt
SOUL II SOUL feat Caron Wheeler
The Go-Gos
MAZZY STAR
SLOWDIVE
Angel Olsen
Yola Carter
HOLLIE COOK
Julia Holter
BEACH HOUSE
Jessica Pratt
SUSANNE SUNDFOR
Anna von Hausswolff
Chelsea Wolfe
MYRKUR
EIVOR
Emilaina Torrini
M.I.A
JANELLE MONAE
MORCHEEBA
Sophie Barker
Sarah Blasko
GARBAGE
Feist
The XX
LONDON GRAMMAR
Agnes Obel
Cate Le Bon
TINA TURNER
JANET JACKSON
Eryka Badu
SIA
SADE
CLANNAD
Sheryl Crow
Rosanne Cash
LAURYN HILL
Warpaint
Marissa Nadler
LISA HANNIGAN
LAMB
PEACHES
THE SELECTER
Gwenno
Lykke Li
ANE BRUN
YOKO ONO
Anneli Drecker... Bel Canto
Aurora
SANTIGOLD
OLIVIA CHANEY
Rhiannon Giddens
DIANA ROSS
Lucinda Williams
THE BANGLES
Alicia Keys
Dionne Warwick
Concrete Blonde
HEART
CAROL KING

For the person going on about "hits" when was the last time any of the acts in the first announcement had a big "hit" ?!

steveakers
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 4:18:03 PM

mccin0000 wrote:
Sounds like a roll call in an old folks home.

Patti Smith – found her very dull the other year – anticlimactic.
Deborah Conway – who?
Chrissie Hynde - - Don’t get me wrong but didn’t she lose the plot with the audience a few weeks ago –
Orianthi - ?
Ani Difranco - ?
Buffy Sainte-Marie – cant see her shifting loads of tickets.
Linda Perry – one hit wonder that now writes songs for artists we can hear on kiss fm.

Saying all that might be nice to see Tracey shes as she still might still have it.

There are very few female artists that would attract attention.

Only one relevant one stands out to mine and that would be St Vincent

We had a few female headliners last year none of them really blew it out of the park.

Sultana played to half empty tents last year. And Fugee lady annoyed everyone.

Political correctness will be the death of this festival. Where are all the right wing artists? What about hillsong Utd – they are one of australias most successful live bands surely they deserve a crack?

Or lets just leave the director hire acts that the people that support bluesfest want to see.

Alternatively bring Grace Jones back and shut these muppets up.

Arlo Guthrie - Hasn't had a hit in 50 years but he is my must see in the first artist announcement.

Patti Smith - If you found her dull then it's possible you went to her second set. She snapped every string on her guitar when she closed the first set with "My generation".

Joan Armatrading - A better guitarist than anyone announced in the first round.

Deborah Harry - She's only got to sing a few lines in French and I'll lose my sh!t like Gomez Adams.

Tracy Chapman - Saw her about ten years ago at the Hammersmith Apollo. She still had it then.

Deborah Conway - Never seen her. That's why I would like to see her at Bluesfest. Pete Townsend thought enough of her to fly her half way around the world when he was recording "Iron Man". Along with Nina Simone and John Lee Hooker.

Chrissie Hynde - Again, never seen her. That's why etc.

Orianthi - Almost as good a guitarist as Joan Armatrading and still better than any guitarist in the first round announcement. Michael Jackson thought enough of her to poach her off Alice Cooper.

Ani Difranco - Who doesn't like a chick singer with tatts and an acoustic guitar? Well one with talent anyway, which Ani has in spades.

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Doesn't need to shift loads of tickets. I've been in love with her ever since I saw her on Sesame Street.

Linda Perry - Again, chick singer with tatts and an acoustic guitar, oh and talent.

McCain have you enjoyed any artist's set at Bluesfest since the sniffer dogs turned up ten years ago?

davidabrown
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 5:59:27 PM

mccin0000 wrote:

Deborah Conway – who?

Seriously, look her up.

You can never have too much Steel Guitar!
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 8:33:59 PM

humanracin wrote:
DOLLY PARTON
STEVIE NICKS... Fleetwood Mac
KATE BUSH
BJORK
MADONNA (currently making a Fado inspired world music album, you can laugh but would draw a massive crowd...but probably way too expensive)
ANNIE LENNOX... Eurythmics
Emmylou Harris
ABBA (I'm including bands with female vocalists)
BREEDERS
Belly
ENYA
ALANIS MORISSETTE
Irma Thomas
Mavis Staples
Joan Baez
TORI AMOS
PJ HARVEY
Marianne Faithfull
SINEAD O'CONNOR
NENEH CHERRY
NATALIE MERCHANT
Judy Collins
Patti Smith
Cassandra Wilson
REGINA SPECTOR
BLONDIE
Pretenders
Buffy Sainte-Marie
Angelique Kidjo
JOANNA NEWSOM
ARETHA FRANKLIN
Joan Jett
Olivia Newton John
CYNDI LAUPER
BEYONCE
Roberta Flack
GRACE JONES
The B52s
St Vincent
TRACEY THORN
LIZ FRASER... Cocteau Twins
DEAD CAN DANCE
FIONA APPLE
Carleen Anderson
Jhelisa
SIOUXSIE SIOUX
Bonnie Raitt
Tracey Chapman
KD LANG
Joan Armatrading
Tanita Tikaram
Loreena McKennitt
SOUL II SOUL feat Caron Wheeler
The Go-Gos
MAZZY STAR
SLOWDIVE
Angel Olsen
Yola Carter
HOLLIE COOK
Julia Holter
BEACH HOUSE
Jessica Pratt
SUSANNE SUNDFOR
Anna von Hausswolff
Chelsea Wolfe
MYRKUR
EIVOR
Emilaina Torrini
M.I.A
JANELLE MONAE
MORCHEEBA
Sophie Barker
Sarah Blasko
GARBAGE
Feist
The XX
LONDON GRAMMAR
Agnes Obel
Cate Le Bon
TINA TURNER
JANET JACKSON
Eryka Badu
SIA
SADE
CLANNAD
Sheryl Crow
Rosanne Cash
LAURYN HILL
Warpaint
Marissa Nadler
LISA HANNIGAN
LAMB
PEACHES
THE SELECTER
Gwenno
Lykke Li
ANE BRUN
YOKO ONO
Anneli Drecker... Bel Canto
Aurora
SANTIGOLD
OLIVIA CHANEY
Rhiannon Giddens
DIANA ROSS
Lucinda Williams
THE BANGLES
Alicia Keys
Dionne Warwick
Concrete Blonde
HEART
CAROL KING

For the person going on about "hits" when was the last time any of the acts in the first announcement had a big "hit" ?!

Brilliant

Dear Skot,