Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Mystery Bluesfest Options
Aussiecroc
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:06:37 PM
Groups: Member

Has anyone ever tried going to Bluesfest with no idea of who is playing? Buying the tix a year out and not reading social media or emails and just turning up on the Thursday and....Wow!!! Jackson Browne!!!!

Might try that for 2019. Thoughts?
reader57
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:34:48 PM

We wouldn't know if you were successful because you wouldn't be on the forum.

The alternative would be not to plan a single set and just flow through the festival
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:25:08 PM

Aussiecroc wrote:
Has anyone ever tried going to Bluesfest with no idea of who is playing? Buying the tix a year out and not reading social media or emails and just turning up on the Thursday and....Wow!!! Jackson Browne!!!!

I say this every year man. It’ would be hard to do. The way I try and go about it is doing zero research of the bands announced. Just turn up each day and look at the time table. Don’t plan a thing. I followed this to a T this year and it was the most enjoyable bluesfest ever. My mind was blown over and over.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:34:46 PM

Nope....too OCD for that. I'd be too worried that I missed somebody really good.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
rstroud
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:19:31 PM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:
Nope....too OCD for that. I'd be too worried that I missed somebody really good.

Ditto !!!

Rod S
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:28:23 PM

This year I was less OCD and loved the freedom to float between party mode acts; blues; indie with a bullet; and slightly left... or right... of centre. I simply love exploring new (and rediscovering old) music, so going into a music blackout pre bluesfest and ignoring acts to play at next year's BF would be the end of civilisation as we know it.
Aussiecroc
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:57:59 AM

Im gonna try it!!!
nocheesegromit
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 11:19:21 AM

Like others I always worry I'm missing somebody I should really be seeing, even after the extensive planning I do. Getting to the point now of reflecting and appreciating what I saw and not getting too strung out about what I miss (eg Govt Mule's 2nd set, and Chic w/ Nile Rogers). I am really happy with who I got to see this year. Nothing I can do about those I didn't see, except hope they might make it back.
barryjmoore
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:44:04 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
Aussiecroc wrote:

I say this every year man. It’ would be hard to do. The way I try and go about it is doing zero research of the bands announced. Just turn up each day and look at the time table. Don’t plan a thing. I followed this to a T this year and it was the most enjoyable bluesfest ever. My mind was blown over and over.

It's impossible to have no idea of who is playing unless you completely cut yourself off from the music and entertainment world from the time of the first announcement until you arrive at Bluesfest. But doing minimal (not zero in my case) research and just playing it by ear each day is something I've been doing for years. And mostly it's worked out for the best. I've seen artists I'd never heard of eg this year Elephant Sessions, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Afro Celt Sound System, etc and also legends whom I thought this might be my only chance to see eg Alan Toussaint, James Cotton, Leon Russell, Greg Allmann and BB King to name but a few. And sadly all those legends passed away within a few short years of performing at Bluesfest. Which is why 84 year old Bobby Rush was a must see for me this year.

And being super flexible works for me. l recall one year there was a band called BB and the Blues Shack and all I knew about them was that they were from Germany. So I thought I'd catch the first five minutes of their act on my way to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band at Crossroads. And guess what? They were so good that I stayed for their entire set and then caught the last five minutes of the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Fortunately Tedeschi Truscks Band were playing again the next night so I saw their entire performance then. And BB and the Blues Shack haven't played Bluesfest since then so that might've been my only chance to see them.

And some years on the spur of the moment I've decided to see a combination of bands because I'd only ever see them on the same bill at a big festival such as Bluesfest eg Los Lobos followed by ZZ Top. But the most memorable was on one warm sunny Monday afternoon when we had War followed by KC and the Sunshine Band. I felt as though Id entered a parallel universe! 1960's pyschedelic rock followed by 1970's disco!! And all in broad daylight. Just another of those "only at Bluesfest" moments!!
valkrie
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:01:51 PM

I could never do that, I'm too OTT. I really enjoy the artists announcements and gives me something to look forward to. I research all artists thoroughly and plan my schedule to a T, including beer, food and toilet stops.

Val
Aussiecroc
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:16:26 PM

Thats why I want to try it!!! When I turn up Ill download the app on the Thursday...and be excited to see Dave and Phil Alvin are playing on the Friday and Sunday. Thats why Im doing this...cos its not what I would normally do! Ill still have time to plan for next 4 days but Im hoping to be suprised shocked and delighted as I arrive at the Bluesfest entrance!
rstroud
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:52:06 PM

barryjmoore wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
Aussiecroc wrote:

It's impossible to have no idea of who is playing unless you completely cut yourself off from the music and entertainment world from the time of the first announcement until you arrive at Bluesfest. But doing minimal (not zero in my case) research and just playing it by ear each day is something I've been doing for years. And mostly it's worked out for the best. I've seen artists I'd never heard of eg this year Elephant Sessions, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Afro Celt Sound System, etc and also legends whom I thought this might be my only chance to see eg Alan Toussaint, James Cotton, Leon Russell, Greg Allmann and BB King to name but a few. And sadly all those legends passed away within a few short years of performing at Bluesfest. Which is why 84 year old Bobby Rush was a must see for me this year.

And being super flexible works for me. l recall one year there was a band called BB and the Blues Shack and all I knew about them was that they were from Germany. So I thought I'd catch the first five minutes of their act on my way to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band at Crossroads. And guess what? They were so good that I stayed for their entire set and then caught the last five minutes of the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Fortunately Tedeschi Truscks Band were playing again the next night so I saw their entire performance then. And BB and the Blues Shack haven't played Bluesfest since then so that might've been my only chance to see them.

And some years on the spur of the moment I've decided to see a combination of bands because I'd only ever see them on the same bill at a big festival such as Bluesfest eg Los Lobos followed by ZZ Top. But the most memorable was on one warm sunny Monday afternoon when we had War followed by KC and the Sunshine Band. I felt as though Id entered a parallel universe! 1960's pyschedelic rock followed by 1970's disco!! And all in broad daylight. Just another of those "only at Bluesfest" moments!!

You can't miss what you never knew or never saw ! You will never see all acts you love at BF, it's making tough decisions. With few exceptions I don't like seeing part sets.

I'm a planner and also love Tedeschi Trucks Band (seen them six times) so few acts could convince me otherwise. Also have loved War and KC & the Sunshine Band for so long I was there early waiting. Fantastic but so surreal that it was early in the day...

P.S. - I saw all those acts - Alan Toussaint, James Cotton, Leon Russell, Greg Allmann and BB King and Bobby Rush. But that was not by research but decades of listening.

Enjoy 2019 BF !

Rod S
bender
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:18:51 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
Aussiecroc wrote:

I did much the same this year. My only research was creating a playlist on Spotify with 3 songs from each artist (providing they were on there and had 3 songs available). When I start my drive from Sydney I press play and have a rule of no skipping of songs. This helps me work out who I might try to see or not see.
glenboss
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:46:27 PM

One of my sons used to roll up and on the Thursday it all starts would look and me and say "Ok then, so who playing at this festival ?" I would just look at him in wonder. I couldn't do that. The other son used to help me put "the program" together over a period of time. We're all different aren't we.
bmrider53
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 9:09:48 PM

Researching helps but when you get the schedules, you realise you cannot see all the ones you would like to. Missed Davy Knowles and Eric Gales two years ago as there was too much on. But did see Eric this year and hope Davy will turn up again in the next decade!!!!!!
But it is great when you get to see an unknown band between the two acts (in the same tent) you need to see, and they tend to be great, as well.
How frustrating it is, however, when some band plays between two other bands you love, and their music is so different that it doesn't fit in with the other two.
That is BluesFest now, with so many different styles and genres.