Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Price increase Options
reader57
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:42:51 AM
Groups: Member

I paid $94.00 per night at Ballina in a motel which I combined with the bus. Pretty cheap I thought! That being said,I have booked camping at Bluesfest for next year at the early bird price.
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:49:34 AM

reader57 wrote:
I paid $94.00 per night at Ballina in a motel which I combined with the bus. Pretty cheap I thought! That being said,I have booked camping at Bluesfest for next year at the early bird price.

You will not regret it.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:26:45 AM

BC1987 wrote:
picked up my ticket for next year mid last week once i got home from the festival as they were still at $425 & i'm glad i did as they already jumped up by $60. expecting a similar level of lineup to 2016/2017 given that bluesfest will clash with coachella most likely next year so a number of artists will be off the table for bluesfest unless they show up with a truckload of cash & sway them to come play byron instead. either way i have faith i will get a lineup that will be worth my money as peter noble & team have yet to let me down all the years i have attended & 2019 will be my 11th festival.

Just out of interest, how was it possible to still buy tix at $425 after the festival had finished?
BC1987
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:48:31 AM

when i got home from the festival i received an email from bluesfest advising that if you had attended 2018 you could purchase a 2019 ticket for $425 until 8 april with a promo code they included in the email which i took up as i had intended to purchase one at the festival but had forgotten to put my credit card in my wallet so was happy to see the offer come through to get a ticket at the price that was available at the festival.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:54:56 AM

BC1987 wrote:
when i got home from the festival i received an email from bluesfest advising that if you had attended 2018 you could purchase a 2019 ticket for $425 until 8 april with a promo code they included in the email which i took up as i had intended to purchase one at the festival but had forgotten to put my credit card in my wallet so was happy to see the offer come through to get a ticket at the price that was available at the festival.

Thanks.
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:05:56 PM

bambambam wrote:
I had to skip this year, (thanks commonwealth games d'oh! ) way too busy at work.

Now Bluesfest is over I can ask the question, why did Lionel Richie headline? What the hell???
Luckily, thanks to Bluesfest, I've seen nearly all the acts before but missing the Mule and Walter Trout hurts.
I imagine a lot of overseas visitors that were here for the games possibly popped in to see the festival.
This may have helped with last minute ticket sales, anyway, its just a thought.

I don't like missing my Easter Bluesfest so will definately make the thirtieth (my twentieth I think)
Were there any early bird buddy packs available at the festival or was it just single tickets?
Did anyone rent the inside the site glam tents, was that OK?
Thinking of a caravan next year to get off the ground,

Anyway, Happy Bluesfest for next year :)

Kept an eye out for you - now I know why we didn’t get a meetup.
Missed Walter as well & made sure to stay in & not go sun to pace myself but got to the fest very late.
My biggest regret was missing him but still had a great one & saw some great performaces.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:02:03 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
rstroud wrote:
barryjmoore wrote:
dissent wrote:
I've missed the last two bluesfests having gone to I think about ten consecutive bluesfests prior.... the first one being in red devil park with bo diddley. And by and large all the bluesfests I've been to I've had a great time and seen some fantastic and memorable artists.

In my opinion the early bird tix even with he price increase are still worth it and Peter Noble can generally be trusted to put on a pretty great line up.

What has put me off going mostly in the last couple of years is the cost of accom in byron or surrounding beach towns over easter is just ridiculous these days. The whole trip becomes about as expensive as going overseas for a snow holiday, which is what I've inevitably chosen.

Yes the cost of accomodation in Byron Bay, Suffolk Park, Broken Head, Lennox Head and even as far south as Ballina is a real problem. Similarly Brunswick Heads has also become very expensive. And there's very little accomodation available in the hinterland towns close to Bluesfest such as Bangalow and Mullumbimby and from what I've been told some people have permanent bookings from one year to the next.

In recent years I've been staying as far away as Murwillumbah and this year I stayed at Crystal Creek which is further west of Murwillumbah. This is not a problem for me because I drive to and from Bluesfest (50 minutes each way). But if you don't have your own transport it's not possible to stay that far away.

But there was some good news this year. For the first time there was a bus service between the Tweed Coast and Bluesfest. This service started at Chinderah and also included Kingscliff, Casuarina, Cabarita Beach, Pottsville and Hastings Point. There should be cheaper accomodation in these locations than further south with the possible exception of Casuarina which has some very upmarket tourist complexes. Chinderah would most likely be the cheapest because it's not on the coast but there's only one small motel there so it probably books out pretty quickly. Anyway staying on the Tweed Coast might be worth considering as an alternative to the more expensive places closer to Bluesfest.

Whilst being respectful of your accommodation choices, camping has a lot going for it, especially Tent City, which is "camping lite". Saves time, meet more people, convenient....

Enough said...

Rod

Rod is correct.

So long as you are not in the middle of the boggy bit (and paying extra for the privilege).

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
rstroud
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:14:17 PM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
rstroud wrote:
barryjmoore wrote:
dissent wrote:
I've missed the last two bluesfests having gone to I think about ten consecutive bluesfests prior.... the first one being in red devil park with bo diddley. And by and large all the bluesfests I've been to I've had a great time and seen some fantastic and memorable artists.

In my opinion the early bird tix even with he price increase are still worth it and Peter Noble can generally be trusted to put on a pretty great line up.

What has put me off going mostly in the last couple of years is the cost of accom in byron or surrounding beach towns over easter is just ridiculous these days. The whole trip becomes about as expensive as going overseas for a snow holiday, which is what I've inevitably chosen.

Yes the cost of accomodation in Byron Bay, Suffolk Park, Broken Head, Lennox Head and even as far south as Ballina is a real problem. Similarly Brunswick Heads has also become very expensive. And there's very little accomodation available in the hinterland towns close to Bluesfest such as Bangalow and Mullumbimby and from what I've been told some people have permanent bookings from one year to the next.

In recent years I've been staying as far away as Murwillumbah and this year I stayed at Crystal Creek which is further west of Murwillumbah. This is not a problem for me because I drive to and from Bluesfest (50 minutes each way). But if you don't have your own transport it's not possible to stay that far away.

But there was some good news this year. For the first time there was a bus service between the Tweed Coast and Bluesfest. This service started at Chinderah and also included Kingscliff, Casuarina, Cabarita Beach, Pottsville and Hastings Point. There should be cheaper accomodation in these locations than further south with the possible exception of Casuarina which has some very upmarket tourist complexes. Chinderah would most likely be the cheapest because it's not on the coast but there's only one small motel there so it probably books out pretty quickly. Anyway staying on the Tweed Coast might be worth considering as an alternative to the more expensive places closer to Bluesfest.

Whilst being respectful of your accommodation choices, camping has a lot going for it, especially Tent City, which is "camping lite". Saves time, meet more people, convenient....

Enough said...

Rod

Rod is correct.

So long as you are not in the middle of the boggy bit (and paying extra for the privilege).

Point Taken !

Rod S
barryjmoore
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:07:54 PM

reader57 wrote:

Thanks for that info Reader 57. I'm glad to hear there's still cheap accomodation in Ballina during Bluesfest. My apologies if I gave anyone a bum steer by lumping Ballina in with the more expensive beach areas closer to Byron in my comments about the increase in the cost of accomodation in recent years.
zabadooba
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:20:27 AM

It seemed clear that there was a problem selling tickets for this year hence the 'reward' scheme - mind you happy to get some money back through it. I also received emails from some ticket agencies advertising 20% off BF tickets once the final announcement had been made. Travelling from North Queensland I have little opportunity to see any of the sideshows. Any visit to see a major artist means flying to a capital which can easily mean a cost of over $1000 a time. So despite the price increase BF is always great value for me - although as someone who uses camping grounds around the country $50+ a night per person without power is on the steep side to say the least.

That said I drove down and camped again as I do every year and have nothing but praise for the volunteers who helped with the logistics, offering to help with erecting the camp. The maintenance of the amenities is as good as you get ( have you ever been to Glastonbury!!!) and I was lucky and got a great spot in zone 2. Also fortunate to have great camping neighbours (Trev and Simon from Adelaide).

I've not committed to next year yet but I say that each year and....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 6:05:58 PM

At Bluesfest,if an artist cancels,you know that is the case before you attend.
At a theatre concert,you may not know of the cancellation until you attend.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/103089093/lionel-richie-the-king-of-cool-takes-christchurch-on-a-ride-back-to-the-1980s

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iabyEebfCc
alisonmccall
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 9:07:43 PM

Why is it some people received emails and sms messages with the promo code and others didn't? I've been buying tickets for 22 years and did not receive this code although I get many emails from bluesfest. I have had to pay an extra $120 for 2 early bird tickets. Not good enough Bluesfest admin. I'm sorry but if they want to keep their loyal patrons then they have to get better with their marketing. Not happy!!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:33:27 AM

alisonmccall wrote:
Why is it some people received emails and sms messages with the promo code and others didn't? I've been buying tickets for 22 years and did not receive this code although I get many emails from bluesfest. I have had to pay an extra $120 for 2 early bird tickets. Not good enough Bluesfest admin. I'm sorry but if they want to keep their loyal patrons then they have to get better with their marketing. Not happy!!

I received an email on 15/03/18 with a promo code.
But I understood this to relate to 2018 Festival Tickets.
I bought my 2019 ticket at the festival for $425.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:37:14 AM

zabadooba wrote:
Travelling from North Queensland I have little opportunity to see any of the sideshows. Any visit to see a major artist means flying to a capital which can easily mean a cost of over $1000 a time. So despite the price increase BF is always great value for me - although as someone who uses camping grounds around the country $50+ a night per person without power is on the steep side to say the least.

Excellent to have a voice of reason from those who do not live in or near a major city.
Our $30 per night backpackers had plenty of spare beds.

barryjmoore
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:25:20 AM

alisonmccall wrote:

Hi Alison. I thought I'd share this information with you.

I bought 2 tickets (for myself and my wife) for 2019 at Bluesfest on Monday 2 April 2018 (last day) for $425 each. A receipt was immediately sent to me by email.

On Tuesday 3 April 2018 I received an email from Bluesfest which had a code to purchase tickets for 2019 for $425 for a limited time. From memory the email stated that this was a special offer for people who had attended Bluesfest 2018. As I'd already purchased tickets for 2019 I immediately deleted this email.

On Thursday 5 April 2018 I received an email from Bluesfests which had highlights of Bluesfest 2018 and also included a statement that early bird tickets for 2019 would be on sale from Monday 9 April 2018.

On Monday 9 April 2018 I received an email from Bluesfest which stated that early bird tickets were now on sale and had a link to purchase tickets. I checked and found that the price of an early bird ticket was now $485.

Thought I'd pass this on in case you want to follow up with Bluesfest.

Barry
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:09:09 PM

I did not receive any of those April emails.

IJB
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:21:30 PM

My experience was the same as reported by alisonmccall. I had bought tickets for my wife and myself for 2018 (our 15th successive year attending the festival), but I did not receive an e-mail or SMS with the promo code for the $425 tickets for 2019. I bought two tickets for 2019 at $485 each at the first opportunity that was presented to me to purchase (there was no option to purchase via the members section of the website when I initially returned home from the festival), so it was a little disappointing to learn that I could have saved $120 if I had received the promo e-mail (which seems to only have gone to certain patrons).

We had bought cardboard tickets for 2018 (purchased during the 2017 festival). Would that perhaps be why we didn't get the promo off for the 2019 tickets? i.e. Did the promo code only go to those who had bought e-tickets for the previous year?

Anyhow, I agree with others that $485 still represents decent value for 5 days of a great festival, it's just a bit of a hollow feeling to learn our previous support wasn't recognised in this instance.
barryjmoore
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:33:42 AM

IJB wrote:
My experience was the same as reported by alisonmccall. I had bought tickets for my wife and myself for 2018 (our 15th successive year attending the festival), but I did not receive an e-mail or SMS with the promo code for the $425 tickets for 2019. I bought two tickets for 2019 at $485 each at the first opportunity that was presented to me to purchase (there was no option to purchase via the members section of the website when I initially returned home from the festival), so it was a little disappointing to learn that I could have saved $120 if I had received the promo e-mail (which seems to only have gone to certain patrons).

We had bought cardboard tickets for 2018 (purchased during the 2017 festival). Would that perhaps be why we didn't get the promo off for the 2019 tickets? i.e. Did the promo code only go to those who had bought e-tickets for the previous year?

Anyhow, I agree with others that $485 still represents decent value for 5 days of a great festival, it's just a bit of a hollow feeling to learn our previous support wasn't recognised in this instance.

I've been buying my tickets at Bluesfest for the following year every year since this system was first introduced.

I remember I used to pay by credit card until a processing fee/surcharge was added. Since then I pay by cash at the ticket office as soon as I arrive at Bluesfest on the last day. So I've always had the old fashioned cardboard tickets, not e-tickets. The only electronic part of the transaction is the receipt which is sent by email.

With the benefit of hindsight it now seems rather curious that on consecutive days Bluesfest emailed me a receipt for purchase of tickets for 2019 and then an offer to purchase tickets (and relevant promo code) for 2019 at the super early bird price of $425. This is the first time I can recall this offer being extended beyond the last day of Bluesfest.

Hope this hasn't Muddied the Waters too much.

Barry
mpember
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:23:49 AM

barryjmoore wrote:
This is the first time I can recall this offer being extended beyond the last day of Bluesfest.

This is not the first time. About 4-5 years ago, there were some posts from people upset that they got home to discover early bird tickets being sold online were offered at the same price as the tickets being sold onsite. But those complaints were based around the credit card fees. Onsite purchases incurred a fee, while online purchases did not. With the credit card fee now being charged for online purchases, the credit card fee is no longer a point of difference.
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 1:16:21 PM

barryjmoore wrote:
IJB wrote:

I've been buying my tickets at Bluesfest for the following year every year since this system was first introduced.

I remember I used to pay by credit card until a processing fee/surcharge was added. Since then I pay by cash at the ticket office as soon as I arrive at Bluesfest on the last day. So I've always had the old fashioned cardboard tickets, not e-tickets. The only electronic part of the transaction is the receipt which is sent by email.

With the benefit of hindsight it now seems rather curious that on consecutive days Bluesfest emailed me a receipt for purchase of tickets for 2019 and then an offer to purchase tickets (and relevant promo code) for 2019 at the super early bird price of $425. This is the first time I can recall this offer being extended beyond the last day of Bluesfest.

Hope this hasn't Muddied the Waters too much.

Barry

If they offered an E Ticket option at the festival I would probably buy one. I can’t be trusted looking after a cardboard ticket for 12 months 😅

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?