Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Price increase Options
humanracin
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 3:46:50 PM
Groups: Member

TheLoneRanger wrote:
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/ROBERTPL18/venues/RTP/performances/EPCE2018704X/tickets
Um Ok boycott Bluesfest & see sideshows.
What do single tickets to sideshows cost.
The link to Sunday's Robert Plant show in Perth gives a clue.

I'm not boycotting Bluesfest in particular, I've been going to festivals for at least 25 years and they're starting to lose their appeal in general.
I prefer the intimacy of concerts these days and won't miss big pushy crowds.
Just my personal taste now but I hope you have a great year next year.
I'll still be supporting Bluesfest by seeing some of their Bluesfest presents shows.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 4:18:54 PM

humanracin wrote:
But I don't think we'll be returning next year with prices rising even more.Also didn't have as good an experience with the new front row seating.Seems like the festival is heading into a more corporate area.

But your comment is directly pointed at the prices "rising even more "
Yet the price of a five day ticket only equates to the cost of my buying a ticket to see one Grace Jones gig and one Robert Plant gig.
"Corporate" is a US word,which merely reflects the move to replace UK words with US words.
http://www.investorwords.com/1129/corporate.html
The english word commonwealth countries always used was "company".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccRtO1mJfw
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
barryjmoore
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2018 11:45:40 PM

The idea of not going to Bluesfest and instead going to sideshows is not really a viable option if you live in South East Queensland ie Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Toowoomba, etc or Northern New South Wales ie Tweed Heads to Coffs Harbour. This is because the closest Bluesfest Touring shows to any of those locations are in Sydney.

For example Robert Plant did not have a show in Brisbane this year. Similarly Patti Smith did not have a show in Brisbane last year. And commercially this makes perfect sense for Bluesfest. Most of these places are within a 2 to 3 hour drive of Bluesfest and I'm sure the chance to catch a big name act generates a lot of one day ticket sales. This market would be diluted if the big name act also appeared in Brisbane.

However some of the acts not associated with Bluesfest Touring do have shows in Brisbane. This year both Jackson Browne and Harry Manx had shows in Brisbane. And I know a few years back John Mayall also had a show at Twin Towns (Tweed Heads) in addition to being at Bluesfest.

So for many of us Bluesfest is the only place to see these artists. And the five day ticket for 2019 which I purchased at Bluesfest for $425 is still great value for money.
festivalfreak
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 7:11:34 AM

I don't mind the price increase, but I really hope the front seats don't happen again. The gap really spoiled the connection when on the front rail I thought.
bambambam
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 9:45:30 AM

I had to skip this year, (thanks commonwealth games d'oh! ) way too busy at work.

Now Bluesfest is over I can ask the question, why did Lionel Richie headline? What the hell???
Luckily, thanks to Bluesfest, I've seen nearly all the acts before but missing the Mule and Walter Trout hurts.
I imagine a lot of overseas visitors that were here for the games possibly popped in to see the festival.
This may have helped with last minute ticket sales, anyway, its just a thought.

I don't like missing my Easter Bluesfest so will definately make the thirtieth (my twentieth I think)
Were there any early bird buddy packs available at the festival or was it just single tickets?
Did anyone rent the inside the site glam tents, was that OK?
Thinking of a caravan next year to get off the ground,

Anyway, Happy Bluesfest for next year :)

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
richo
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 2:15:18 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/ROBERTPL18/venues/RTP/performances/EPCE2018704X/tickets

-25% longer set.
-Comfortable seats.
-Guaranteed clear line of sight.
-Intimate theatre venue so guaranteed clear view.
-Better acoustics and more time to soundcheck so great sound.

I don't think the value proposition for Bluesfest is exactly clear cut. Unless it's a truly fantastic lineup (which we haven't had in a while... since the dollar dropped), the pros and cons I think balance out to it being about worth what they charge in recent years. I certainly think the idea of comparing dollar-for-dollar to sideshows is disingenuous.

This year's price jump for early bird is a bit hard to swallow, and I suspect that's the case for a lot of folks given the amount of texts, emails and app notifications I've received to hurry and buy one in recent days. I think it's a worthwhile purchase, but it's the first time I can remember where I've seen the price and not immediately decided "yep, I'll grab one".
waffles
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 3:36:10 PM

ditto to above.

p.s. reading Katieforfrees post that she has attended 28 bluesfests and i myself have attended 29 should there not be a loyalty thing like n.r.m.a give you the gold card after 25 years.?????

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 4:37:01 PM

Attended Crow/Etheridge last night at the year old, 8ooo capacity, Sydney ICC
For the $122.15 price I got a seat in the next post code
Seats are well elevated so even a tall patron in front wont interrupt your view
but the stage is so far away and no big screen, and sound only acceptable not great
The players were so small it was the FIRST concert I thought a DVD would be a better experience
To top it off from the ferry found Circular Quay station closed -both ways and the immediate roads
mostly closed to install the light rail
Certainly will never again buy a ticket in the back half of the ICC

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 7:03:21 PM

I agree that the size of the venue & the location of the seat makes a huge difference.
The Civic in Auckland is a 2400 seat historic theatre with stalls & dress circle.
I saw Bryan Ferry there on two consecutive nights in 2004.
!st night was in the circle back row & 2nd in the stalls front row.
Both were fine.
Move down to the waterfront and Vector Arena with its 12,000 capacity.
26 rows back in the stalls for Leonard Cohen was fine,but for a back seat I would not have bothered.
At Bluesfest you get to choose.
You can be at the rail.in the middle or at the back,depending on the level of experience you want from each set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccRtO1mJfw
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 10:26:34 AM

Tix are now $485!
dissent
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 10:42:19 AM

I've missed the last two bluesfests having gone to I think about ten consecutive bluesfests prior.... the first one being in red devil park with bo diddley. And by and large all the bluesfests I've been to I've had a great time and seen some fantastic and memorable artists.

In my opinion the early bird tix even with he price increase are still worth it and Peter Noble can generally be trusted to put on a pretty great line up.

What has put me off going mostly in the last couple of years is the cost of accom in byron or surrounding beach towns over easter is just ridiculous these days. The whole trip becomes about as expensive as going overseas for a snow holiday, which is what I've inevitably chosen.
ianandhelena
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 10:52:35 AM

dissent wrote:
I've missed the last two bluesfests having gone to I think about ten consecutive bluesfests prior.... the first one being in red devil park with bo diddley. And by and large all the bluesfests I've been to I've had a great time and seen some fantastic and memorable artists.

In my opinion the early bird tix even with he price increase are still worth it and Peter Noble can generally be trusted to put on a pretty great line up.

What has put me off going mostly in the last couple of years is the cost of accom in byron or surrounding beach towns over easter is just ridiculous these days. The whole trip becomes about as expensive as going overseas for a snow holiday, which is what I've inevitably chosen.

I agree 100% with that. Bluesfest itself is great value, it's the additional costs that kill it for us these days, especially travelling from Tas.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 11:04:11 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

A double-bill of Gov’t Mule/ Lukas Nelson in Melbourne was $70.
You could also get tix to both Walter Trout and Hurray for the Riff Raff for less than $40 each.
humanracin
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 1:32:30 PM

$60 for camping, per person seems excessive too.
Luckily this year we were able to house sit for a friend in Mullum.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 2:49:24 PM
Groups: Administration

Price is $52 dollars per day.
Thanks
Mod
BC1987
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 3:30:32 PM

picked up my ticket for next year mid last week once i got home from the festival as they were still at $425 & i'm glad i did as they already jumped up by $60. expecting a similar level of lineup to 2016/2017 given that bluesfest will clash with coachella most likely next year so a number of artists will be off the table for bluesfest unless they show up with a truckload of cash & sway them to come play byron instead. either way i have faith i will get a lineup that will be worth my money as peter noble & team have yet to let me down all the years i have attended & 2019 will be my 11th festival.
nelson7007
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 5:17:43 PM

Tickets bought and still good value for five days of great entertainment. Though can’t say am looking forward to sellouts each day next year as the BF marketing blurb is spruiking. Quieter Thursdays and Mondays always been a gentle and enjoyable way to start and finish our festivals. And the traffic congestion is non-existent on these nights.

Accommodation also booked and hope to get flights locked in mid-year which helps spread the costs over a few months rather than one big hit next year. Just have to save up for drinks and food. One luxury has always been VIP tickets and am hoping any increase is minimal.

barryjmoore
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 7:06:26 PM

dissent wrote:

Yes the cost of accomodation in Byron Bay, Suffolk Park, Broken Head, Lennox Head and even as far south as Ballina is a real problem. Similarly Brunswick Heads has also become very expensive. And there's very little accomodation available in the hinterland towns close to Bluesfest such as Bangalow and Mullumbimby and from what I've been told some people have permanent bookings from one year to the next.

In recent years I've been staying as far away as Murwillumbah and this year I stayed at Crystal Creek which is further west of Murwillumbah. This is not a problem for me because I drive to and from Bluesfest (50 minutes each way). But if you don't have your own transport it's not possible to stay that far away.

But there was some good news this year. For the first time there was a bus service between the Tweed Coast and Bluesfest. This service started at Chinderah and also included Kingscliff, Casuarina, Cabarita Beach, Pottsville and Hastings Point. There should be cheaper accomodation in these locations than further south with the possible exception of Casuarina which has some very upmarket tourist complexes. Chinderah would most likely be the cheapest because it's not on the coast but there's only one small motel there so it probably books out pretty quickly. Anyway staying on the Tweed Coast might be worth considering as an alternative to the more expensive places closer to Bluesfest.
rstroud
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 8:42:40 PM

barryjmoore wrote:
dissent wrote:

Yes the cost of accomodation in Byron Bay, Suffolk Park, Broken Head, Lennox Head and even as far south as Ballina is a real problem. Similarly Brunswick Heads has also become very expensive. And there's very little accomodation available in the hinterland towns close to Bluesfest such as Bangalow and Mullumbimby and from what I've been told some people have permanent bookings from one year to the next.

In recent years I've been staying as far away as Murwillumbah and this year I stayed at Crystal Creek which is further west of Murwillumbah. This is not a problem for me because I drive to and from Bluesfest (50 minutes each way). But if you don't have your own transport it's not possible to stay that far away.

But there was some good news this year. For the first time there was a bus service between the Tweed Coast and Bluesfest. This service started at Chinderah and also included Kingscliff, Casuarina, Cabarita Beach, Pottsville and Hastings Point. There should be cheaper accomodation in these locations than further south with the possible exception of Casuarina which has some very upmarket tourist complexes. Chinderah would most likely be the cheapest because it's not on the coast but there's only one small motel there so it probably books out pretty quickly. Anyway staying on the Tweed Coast might be worth considering as an alternative to the more expensive places closer to Bluesfest.

Whilst being respectful of your accommodation choices, camping has a lot going for it, especially Tent City, which is "camping lite". Saves time, meet more people, convenient....

Enough said...

Rod
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 9:00:35 PM

rstroud wrote:
barryjmoore wrote:
dissent wrote:

Whilst being respectful of your accommodation choices, camping has a lot going for it, especially Tent City, which is "camping lite". Saves time, meet more people, convenient....

Enough said...

Rod

Rod is correct.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?